"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MSV trivia - Part 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Articles & Writings by Fans!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
S.V.Srinivasan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject: MSV trivia - Part 3 Reply with quote

Some more trivia involving MSV:

1. In the song "Andha Naal Gnyabagam" (Uyarndha Manidhan), there is a line sung by TMS: "Puththagam kaiyilae, buddhiyo paatilae". Vaallee wrote this line with MSV's childhood in mind. When he was a small boy, Mellisai Mannar used to bunk school, stand outside the house of Neelakanta Bhagavathar and hear the music lessons going on inside for hours on end - due to poverty, he was not able to afford formal music lessons. As all MSV fans know, the Bhagavathar later permitted the young boy to do household chores, giving him an opportunity to observe the music lessons at close quarters.

2. When the songs of "Marakka Mudiyuma" were being composed, T.K.Ramamoorthy, who was the MD for the film, told Kalaignar Karunanidhi that for the song "Kakidha Odam", he wanted to give "rich" orchestration just as he and MSV had done for "Enge Nimmadhi, using at least 100 instruments. Pat came Kalaignar's reply: "When you and MSV composed Enge Nimmadhi, you used 100 instruments. Now, you represent only 50% of the Mellisai Mannargal, so please use only 50 instruments." This is finally what TKR did.

3. The great music critic Subbudu was once asked which Tamil film song he would rate as the best ever, given his knowledge of film music from the days of Thyagaraja Bhagavathar. He singled out "Naalam Naalam Thirunaalam" from Kathalikka Neramillai as the best song he has ever heard.

4. In an article he wrote in Kalki magazine several years ago, director K.Balachandar mentioned that the time taken by Kannadasan to come up with the pallavi of "Vaan Nila Nila Alla" (from Pattinapravesam) was about three minutes.

5. Balachandar also mentions that for "Kelviyin Nayaganae" (Apoorva Ragam) Kannadasan came up with twentytwo charanams and walked away. Balachandar and MSV struggled to select three charanams from the 22 gems.

6. In their early years, MSV and TKR composed music for several films of Modern Theatres. But there was always pressure on them from the producer to lift tunes from Hindi films, which they did not like to do. Hence, they gracefully backed out of Modern Theatres.

7. In an issue of Kalki published in 1979, AVM Kumaran recounts an episode dating back to when the AVM people were sitting with Laxmikant Pyarelal for composing the Hindi version of "Poovagi Kaaiyagi Kanindha Maram Onru" - they were taking "Annai" in Hindi as "Laadla". At that time, an assistant brought a tape and told AVM Kumaran that the tape contained a song composed by MSV for "Server Sundaram", which was then under production. Kumaran played the tape in the presence of Laxmikant Pyarelal. The song sent was "Thaththai Nenjam Muththathile". Hearing the song, LP told Kumaran that the song was lifted from an O.P.Nayyar composition. This angered Kumaran, who asked LP to identify the O.P.Nayyar song. They could not pinpoint the tune and tried to "mazhappufy". Kumaran then lectured them on the creativity of MSV and told them that MSV had no need to lift tunes from anyone - he was Goddess Saraswathi's chella pillai and gift to humanity. After this episode, says Kumaran, he had no respect left for Laxmikant Pyarelal.

8. And finally, to the "piece de resistance" of today's trivia posting!
(This also is from K.Balachandar's article in Kalki.)

Friends, how many times have you listened to and enjoyed "Oru Pennai Paarthu Nilavai Paarthu" and "Indha Punnagai Enna Vilai" from Deivathai? Can you believe that these wonderful tunes were composed after Vaallee wrote the lyrics? I try to picture MSV sitting at his harmonium with these lyrics, tuning the songs and weaving the most incredible orchestration into the preludes and interludes of these songs. What kind of a brain would come up with these two songs which we have been hearing and marvelling at for the past 44 years? Words fail me.

Srini
Venkat

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mr.Srini,
That was another gem of a post from you.

I wud like to add a bit to the Trivia #3.
Great music critic Subbudu's another favorite was "Malligai En Mannan Mayangum". His top 10 favorite list contains this song and "Naalaam naalaam".
His comment on "Malligai En Mannan..." was avar (MSV) enna ragatha base panni intha paadalai isai amaicharonne theriyala...

I have already mentioned this in one of my early postings.
Pls. refer the following interesting thread:
http://msvtimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=126
S.V.Srinivasan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:02 am    Post subject: MSV trivia - Part 3 Reply with quote

Dear Mr Mahesh,

Thanks for the response.

I just saw your posting about "Malligai Enn Mannan". Wonderful posting about a wonderful song.

BTW, are "Malligai Enn Mannan" and "Naalai Indha Velai Paarthu" (Uyarnadha Manidhan) based on the same raga? Seems to me there are some haunting similarities between the two tunes. Perhaps our more technically knowledgeable friends can enlighten us.
raghavan vasudevan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject: MSV triva Reply with quote

Dear SVS,

I was away from my home for quite some time and had not signed in MSV times for pretty long time and thus could not see the postings.

I am thrilled to read your tirva which I read uptodate and found it very interesting. Any news of olden days incidents comes refreshingly new to us and when one hear about music world of bygone era it comes like a fresh morning breeze which has no match.

As you said some of the information we have heared or known before yet they are nicely told.

Looking forward to reading much such stuff from you.

Could you please list your best 15 songs of MSV. I had listed mine long time ago but unfortunately till today it has not seen the light of the day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Articles & Writings by Fans! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: