"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Braving it up with MSV's melody...an exploration - I
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Articles & Writings by Fans!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tvvraghavan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The postings on MSV's Piano Concert was moved to the following link,

http://msvtimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1775 under the topic

MSV's PIANO CONCERT - EXPERIENCES II.

I hereby request all the Forum members to voice their opinion in the new link provided.

Over to Vatsan !!!

MSV Rules !!!
Venkat
baroque

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for oorgolam pogindra..... my all time favorite song.
ennannu solluven..
pongo neenga too much.. Smile Very Happy
please continue, SL!
lots of love, Vinatha.
baroque

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your posts on P.b.Sreenivos are always intimate.
loving it.

Enjoyed the kutti write -up with nilavey ennidam.....

Dedicating to Sanjai subramanyam for his soulful BAGESHRI aalapana in his recent concert at San jose.
Sanju ROCKS!

Flawless melody.
wonderful lyrics. Bhaavam sponteneously emerge from the melody.
none can equal the grace & splendor of this musical gem.
consoling flute fill-ins, haunting , weepy shenoy lude, graceful tabla, crystalline rendition...Musical genius.

Aaja rey pardesi... magical Salil-Lata masterpiece... FINESSE & CLASSY.. I crave now.

Feeling very emotional always.... Everything about films like Madhumati, nenjam marapadhillai.. etc.. we love.
Stunning Beauties.
Talented artists.
Flawless scenes. amazing picturisation.
Emotional stories.
Soulful MUSIC, SONGS.
ETERNAL .

maiyodu konjam
poi pesum kangal...
kaiyodu inge.. kadhai solla vendum...
maiyodu konjam.. poi pesum kangal...
kaiyodu inge.. kadhai solla vendum... runs in my cd Smile

let me grab my CD...I need to run.

Love all my boys - P.B.S, Sanjai, Balu, Salil, MSV & Mr.SL.

Vinatha.

Smile
Venkat

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Vinatha,

Recently I heard the song "Nilave Ennidam" by your Lover Boy.

Here is the Cool Toad link of that song.
http://music.cooltoad.com/music/song.php?id=338642

Just download it and kanna moodindu kettupaarungo... engeyo nammalai koottindu pogum ...
baroque

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DIGRESSION

Neenga vera Mahesh, Very Happy
already whole day naan bhayangarama maatindutten with the FINEST Ilayaraja unleashed magical Lover boy with Janaki. Smile
naguvaa nayana madhura mouna... Ilayaraja puts you in trance.
Make a copy send it to 'bharathi kannamma neeyadi chinnamma..' fellow. He will tell you, it is TIMELESS music loaded with emotions.... ninaiththaaley inikkum nnu! Smile Very Happy

thanks for the link. I check it out later. Vinatha. Smile

END
Vatsan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: New song Reply with quote

Please listen to the first ever Waltz song in Tamil..probably in Indian Film music. The movie is "paNam", first movie for the MSV-TKS combine

http://www.dhool.com/sotd2/328.html
Venkat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mr.Vatsan,
Thanks a lot for the link. A very rare gem.

FYI, there is a separate thread (not touched for a long time) on Waltz. A very great introductory write-up by Mr.Ram N Ramakrishnan under the title
"Songs Composed by MSV-TKR and MSV/The Waltz of MSV"
Here is the link: http://msvtimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1473
baroque

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for ENGEYO PAARTHA MUGAM.....(konjam read panniyerukken... will finish in a day)

Very fond of jillendru kaatru... from the same movie. love the lilting tune, attractive rhythm, jolly trumpet, violin lude.

maiyaendhum paarvai konda pennai
kaiyaendhum aasai konda ennai
maiyaendhum paarvai konda pennai
laa....laa...laa
kaiyaendhum aasai konda ennai
laa....laa....laa..
meiyodu meiyanaikka koodaadhO
muththaaram nenjil indru aadaadhO

kalloorum poo mugaththai kandu
ennaeram thaen kidaikkum endru
kalloorum poo mugaththai kandu
daa..daa..daa
ennaeram thaen kidaikkum endru
daa..daa..daa..
muththaadumpodhu kannam vaadaadhO
sevvaanam pOla vannam maaraadhO

mood uplifting composition love jillendru kaatru vandhadho....
thanks, now I know both the songs are from the same movie.

Mahesh, that is a fantastic write up.

Thanks SL for the dhool link. Rare gem indeed.

Let MSV-TKR feast your senses with the stylish yaaradhu yaaradhu thangamaa... or SDB treat you with dreamy Geeta dutt's hum aap ki aankhon mein.. magical violin postlude.
whatever...

I am going with Shri.Ilayaraaja. I want SPARK this cool, cloudy sunday night! Smile

MSV-TKR, MLV,SDB,GEETA dutt and Mr.SL.. all of you DISTINGUISHED people , EXCUSE.

Vel vizhi podum thoondiley
naan vizhalaanen tholiley

Noolidai thaeyum noyiley
naan varam ketkkum koyiley.. ( sindhaikkul aadum jeevaney ennavaney! It's you, Ilayaraaja! Smile )

annamey.. aaaa aaa
annamey endhan sornamey
undhan ennamey vaanavil vannamey
kannamey madhu kinnamey adhil ponmani vairangal minnumey...

that's my MAN romancing in folkish pahadi with waltz touch.

pennenum gangaikkul perinbamey....Smile
check it out! Smile
love love love, Vinatha.

Last edited by baroque on Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:50 am; edited 3 times in total
baroque

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BEST WORK from you , SL!
Enjoyed engeyo paartha mugam......
yeah, those mood enhancing rhythmic, repetitive shenoy gestures & passages.. are heavenly.
Your selections are always good.

will wrap up this day with naalai indha velai paarthu oodi vaa nila.... later tonight.
Haunting Susheela.

I checked out one more time

jillendru kaatru vandhadhO
nillendru kettuk kondadhO
kudai pOl imai viriya
malar pOl vizhi malara
ennOdu pesasonnadhO.. mood.

romance romance romance in the air with the interludes & lilting tune.

always fascinated by the prelude strings followed by PBS humming with dhwani in yaar yaar yaar.... can't wait for your next PBS pick!
Hoping you introduce me a rare PBS song that is unknown to me.

love, vinatha.
baroque

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aadamodi gala....kuzhalosai ketka manam.. from classical section.

I have enjoyed Sanjai subramanyam's CHARUKESI aalapana... he is aesthetic.

Shri.Ilayaraja's manamaalayum manjalum..... is a fantastic composition. Raaja RULES!

manamaalaiyum manjalum soodi
pudhu kolaththil nee varum neram
annan vizhigal kanneer mazhaiyil
ninaindhey naan vaazhthinen
manamaalaiyum manjalum soodi....

SHIRI.ILAYARAJA IS DIVINE!

Rahman bhaiyaa's aahistha aahistha.... is serene & soothing. I cuddle up to it quite often.

Aahista Aahista ...
aahista aahista..
Nindiya Tu Aa, In Do Nainon Mein
Halke Se Haule Se, Kuchh Sapne Bhole Se
Nindiya Tu La, In Do Nainon Mein
Bahe Soye-Soye Jaise Sari Hawayein
Samaan Bhi Hai Soya-Soya Sa
Nindiya Re, Nindiya Re, Tu Mere Angna Re
Aa Ja Re, In Jhukti Palkon pe Ja Re
Aahista Aahista..
aahista aahista..

Thank you, Rahman! SWADES, what an album!

vasantha mullai poley..... is eternal.

ARZOO...bedardi baala....finest Lata solo, the yearning mood is haunting.

You were mentioning , Balu has sung a charukesi part for MSV in his devotional album. You are lucky to attend these recordings with Vaidy.

amazing pattu for MGR. RICKSHAWKARAN is a memorable, attractive album.
Energetic composition by Shri.MSV .
What a tempo, flow, tune & lyrics.

Not a big fan of the orchestration.
viswanatha... that is noisy.

Dear SL, it is increasingly difficult to shower praises about your write-ups since the compliments seem to use the same cliched adjectives.

azhagiya thamizh magal....
Viswanatha.. Even with your racy romantic musical, you lure me steadily, firmly with balance, take charge of my emotions. You keep me with you.

nadhiyoram naanal ondru..... , indha maan undhan sondha maan..., kaathoodu poovurasa..., vizhiyiley mani vizhiyil.. etc..
Ilayaraja..... Bad boy hypes the emotions, teenager in me is restless...all GIDDY.

vizhi Orangalil sila nerangalil
varum bhaavagalum kaviyaagum
andha kavidhaigalil ulla porul arindhu
adhai suvaippadhuthaan kalai aagum
andha kalaigalilum pala pudhumai undu
adhai pazhaguvadhae perinbam
inba vaasalilae oru kaaval illai
ini kaalamellaam un sondham

How it feels good. You are DEEP!

HAPPY SARASWATI POOJA/VIJAYADASAMI TO ALL OF YOU HERE..
Let the GODDESS shower upon you HEALTH, WEALTH & WISDOM

I am enjoying kalaya nijama.....Coolie no 1... celestial Ilayaraja with a tinge of abheri.

ta..ta..

Vinatha. Smile
baroque

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today tfmpage NEEL hosted a familiar Balu, LRE song.
Lively tune & orchestration.
Jaunty trumpeting, chorus, cheerful Balu, energetic LRE...
Everybody knows pattukkaran.....Thikku theriyatha kaattil.
Everybody loves this song.

But I want to post another song from the same movie..
RAVISHING KETTADHELLAM NAAN THARUVEN....
by Susheela & Balu.

Amazing prelude aalap...
STUNNING classical delight contaminated with SARANGA bhaavam... loving singararasam sotta sotta.

kettadhellaam naan tharuven
ennai nee marakkaadhe
kaalamellam naan varuven
ennai nee thadukkadhey....

as magical as iravum nilavum... karnan... romantic orchestration.

(PURE SARANGA
konja neram ennai marandhen....
iravum nilavum....
sawan rut aaye... piya basanti)

manivizhi moodi kanavugal kOdi
kaanbadhum unnaale
pani idhazh thedi pala kadhai pesi
vaazhvadhum unnaale

manavaraikkOlam thaniyaraip paadal
malarnthadhum innaale
thalaivanin nenjam thaviththadhu konjam
kaninthadhum pennale..

GREAT I GOT THE LINK , thanks thanks THIRAIPAADAL.COM

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/TPplayer.asp?sngs=%27SNGOLD1479%27

Always indulge one more time...Smile

enjoy, vinatha.
Vatsan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: New song... Reply with quote

Writing after a long time.....apologies and trust you would enjoy this write-up. Please do offer your take on this.

A Sivaji Ganesan movie of the early sixties typically had atleast one number that sadly reflected on the travails and the woes the chief protagonist had to wade through. In the song taken up for discussion, the hero is so thoroughly frustrated that even a poet’s eternal love story, the invitingly alluring moon’s advances, are met with nonchalant shrug of the shoulders, an even more indifferent, layers of cigarette smoke and the final and dismissive wordy response, a rhetorical “yAr antha nilavu ?!!!” A one-liner poetry that only our dear Kannadasan is capable of effortlessly letting loose. A most unconventional poetic start but the seed sown that served as a catalyst for the poet’s creativity to be unleashed, is the mesmeric melody. Bear in mind, this is just yet another situation as told to the poet and the music composer. Seldom have the situations for songs as carved out by movie directors been inspiring, inspiring enough for the music composer to even consider stepping into unchartered territories. But true creativity comes in with a force, the force which has initiative, the abandon, the conviction and very importantly, the innocence to channel what “occurs” or “happens” without a worried glance at what the outcome would be…….all regardless of the commonplace banality of the situation dictated. The song taken up for discussion is one such stream of water from the fountainhead of musical creativity.

The melody was crafted out first by MSV, the flow of melody clearly depicting the fact that the territory of predictability commences where creativity ends its own. So wonderfully unpredictable is the flow of melody/ music but one needs to be careful here, needs to remind oneself that the flow is just a few drops in the ocean, there are other paradigms the melody takes you through, namely setting the mood and exploration of various aspects of the mood and its causes and yet remaining tuneful. Any mind with musical leanings would ponder over it, reflect on it and hum it all to let the deliciousness sink in. Aesthetics is quite naturally an integral part of the output, no surprises here Smile

A reflectively Victorian feel was what MSV had in mind for the song. So out go the tablas, Dholaks, Shehnais but wait, what about the prelude !!!! Sarangi and Santoor are as alien to the Western mode as music is to Geology. The prelude actually starts with Santoor placed over muffled bongo beats, rendered so by the maracas swirls, aptly placed to “soften” up the percussive strikes….the mood of the song is such…. and surprise..surprise, Sarangi continues the musical sobbing and complaining as the awestruck listener, nonplussed by the ability of the composer to retain the other worldly feel, as Sarangi and Santoor abnegate their Indian Classical roots, gets gently dragged into the sorrowful murmur of a number. No loud expression of disgust here, subtlety takes over, percussions softened, every instrument gently caresses the aural and hearty faculties and yet leaving a taste of the melancholy. Let us sidestep the temptation of being lured into the orchestral brilliance and plunge into the melody, for a few minutes allowing only the melody to engulf us, devoid of words. However, we will use words to denote the lines the melody traverses through, for the sake of discussion.

Let’s empathize with the protagonist here. What would we do when confronted with the same insufferable situation? Lament, get comfortable with lamenting, increase the intensity of the lament, mull over the causes that forced the lament out of you and finally with a helpless sigh bemoan your involvement in the shoddy turn out of events and how accursed you are. But remember the backdrop, a Victorian feel, reflective melancholy….

Aptly conceived pallavi, does exactly as elucidated above, with “En intha kanavu” making the composer’s intent amply clear, this being an intensified version of “yAr antha nilavu” , the tune around which is the initiation of the “problem statement” Smile The tune continues, explaining, probing, registering a complaint as well “yAro solla…..” ………………..and “kAlam seitha kolam” conceals a “tsk tsk tsk” , a sigh, the hero’s image of his sorry self deeply reflected upon and expressed. Sheer dynamics, fertile imagination laying the composition beyond the reach of mortal composers. Any song with the tune created ahead of the lyrics carries with it, the inherent danger of falling into the realms of the simplistic and to some extent, the predictable. We know whose creations thumb their noses at the above two evils Smile
The melody has started with melancholic softness and negotiated with a melodic smile bordering on the cynical, or atleast, something almost close to it.

An object lesson on how to construct a charanam follows soon as the issue put forth in the Pallavi gets scrutinized further here. The objective of charanams met, for sure. A meditative, instrospective “Adiya nAdagam mudiyavillai….” confirms this. A deeper probe, denoted by marked increase in fervor, intensity “angum ingum sAnthi illai….” . An electric guitar counter-melodic presence offers to be the decorative instrumental piece for the above lines as the melody now assumes serious proportions. Serious, as the protagonist runs out of resolutions and implores, “deivamE….” , the culmination of the charanam, further emphasized as the violins romp through, belt out the counter-melody for the “heavenwards scream” . The art of building a melody and the art of timely introduction of counter melody has yet to leave the musical presence of MSV. Remains his own. The imploration, the fervent questioning expressed through the melody alright, but yet another facet remains ….“un koyil deepam mAriyathai nee arivAyO”, is a beseeching poke at the unaware/ indifferent Creator. Yet now, the pallavi is a hand shake away. MSV now prefers to start the descent towards the reflective pallavi at a note higher now, lest the song should loose its “soul force”. Voila…the descent “kOyil deepam mAriayathai……” sets the stage for the reflective “nee arivAyO”…..all’s well that ends well. Now “yAr antha nilavu” seamlessly agrees with the ideas propounded in the charanam. Seamless, musically speaking, as the melody has been negotiated with a descent that cascaded into a common meeting ground for the pallavi and the charanam. Moods and feel negotiated in a masterly way, as MSV could function as a musical alchemist thereby demonstrating that a heartfelt scream and the melancholic reflective feel can be the two sides of the same musical coin ,could therefore be made to follow one another, provided the composer had an appropriate musical construct Smile

Three cheers to Kannadasan for allowing his contribution to emanate from the same place as MSV’s did. Such was their understanding, the soul connection that resulted in the unmitigated deluge of masterpieces.
baroque

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pathos goes right to the heart with its emotionally wrenching melody and haunting mood. Saarangi fits the pathos very well.
Yearning NENJATHILEY....exudes warmth & romance, is my favorite Susheela's solo from the same movie.
I have never seen the movie.
Hubby மாற்றி வைத்து உள்ளார்கள் Confused
என்னவோ போ.. Smile
Vinatha.
msvramki

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WoW..WoW,, Vatsan

What a great melodious write up on a gem-of-a-piece of Mellisai Mannar and Kannadasan !!

Only MSV could such a melody nogotiations ! I enjoyed your true words :

"The art of building a melody and the art of timely introduction of counter melody has yet to leave the musical presence of MSV. Remains his own."

Only Vatsan can wirte such a melodious wirteup !!

After big gap, we have a wonderful article from you !
Pl continue

RAMKI
Vatsan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Resp Reply with quote

Thanks Ramki.
It was a rare opportunity that I got ...a break of half an hour to write this and unfortunately, was peppered with calls and people stepping into my cubicle. Such songs call for a deeper experience, a deeper sense of interiority than what I could achieve when the write-up was put through.
After listening to such flow of melody, imagine what would have been MSV's output had he tuned all songs first as opposed to being accommodative. Breathtaking !!!! As how MSV excelled in tuning for pre-written lyrics as well, Kannadasan shows his class here by reading the flow of melody as nobody else can and plunged the right words into the melody. Simply awesome !!!

The 'feeling dynamics' in the charanam for the song is, as already stated, an introspective start, a deeper probe into an issue already stated in the pallavi, the probe acquiring overtones of seriousness, then a plead to the heavens with an explanation of sorts and return to the pallavi's origin...reflective through 'nee arivAyO' . This is a process of feeling negotiation in addition to melody negotiation. A clear demonstration of how a helpless, exasperation laden scream can be musically related to a reflective disposition. Again as stated earlier, an object lesson. It is all so simple (actually simplistic) to create a generic sorrow laden tune. Truly very simple, but building a matchless melody interwoven with explore the various facets of the theme taken up, such as the song in discussion, calls for something very very special.

Dear MSV, in future, please tune the song first and give us more of "pon enbEn", "yAr antha nilavu" , "nALAm nALAm thirunALAm" , "poovarayum poongodiyE" and several other thousands of "tune first" songs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Articles & Writings by Fans! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 10 of 13

Jump to: