"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Braving it up with MSV's melody...an exploration - I
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Articles & Writings by Fans!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vatsan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ramki, nanri.....Vinatha nanri.

The 'pAvai pAvai' song is a bull dozer of a number that crushes twigs and dried leaves on its way...on its way to demolishing any pre-determined/ conservative structures our psyches could be holding on to. Once it finds its way, it goes through like a vigorous, yet continuous stream of oil, unbroken.

'thaNNilavu' song is all domestic, conjugal bliss as the lady in love is soaked in the
'sharm rokhE idhar shok udhar keechE.....' / 'Asaiyil mithakka nANam athai thadukka' mode. A knowing smile acknowledging her beauty can fling her into throes of bashfulness....Smile

Strategy aLLi vazhangum Strategy Sundari (SS)-kku meeNdum nanri. Will try and include them as appropriate.

MSV-yin constructs, amaippai patri ezhuthuvathu is akin to counting the number of grains of sand in the Sahara Desert. The very thought of covering those leaves me drained out but the joy experienced while sharing the experience, rubs it away. Let's try and experience together more.....Thanks
Vatsan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: Oopps Reply with quote

Thanks to Jeyaraman also. For personal convenience I have used 'melody punctuation' to include innovative end-phrases that completely close out a layer of melody. Your suggestion duly noted though, we'll try bringing it under some umbrella a little later. Even,
'yamuna nathi ingE' for instance, the treatment meted to words 'engE, ingE' which occur at the end of the line(s) is different, each time. As we all see, there are simply far toooooo many facets to cover Smile
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have missed the thread for a week Crying or Very sad

Yamuna nadhi inge ...melody soaked

For ' Kannan " character, MSV diligently uses SPB while the rest are all TMS . even that " Mezuguvarthi eriginradhu ". Why ? the song comes at the appropriate moment...an agitated Junior NT getting cajoled by Usha Nandini.
Is there any similarity with ' gokulathil oru naal rathai "
baroque

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Film ENGA MAMA, I have ellorum nalam vaazha... & Chellakki.....
Paavai paavai thaan... MIO doesn't host.
let me search..SL
thanks for your thoughts.
please continue..

Yamuna nadhi..... How about those 'pattukku pattu' humming!
STUNNING Andhamaanai parungal azhagu..., RACY, LILTING Avaloru pachchai kuzhandhai...end humming/sahithyam & more songs ( we didn't do course in JAZZ or WCM etc... we naturally composed all the techniques! Smile )

Couple of MSV's precious petites I enjoyed while driving this afternoon!
(1)
mmmmmm...aaahh...haaa

ponnendrum poovendrum thenendrum solvaenO..
ponnendrum poovendrum thenendrum solvaenO..
pennaip paarththaal sollaththondrum
innum nooraayiram...mmmm
innum nooraaaaayiram...

Dreamy SPB solo!
Last lines of pallavi & chanranams repeated with variation & elongation!

poovai vandhaal pennaaga pirandhu
poovai vandhaa pennaaaaga pirandhu

kaana kaN vendum oru kOdee indru
kaana kaN vaendum oru kOoodi indru

inbam avaL innum ariyaadha kalvi
inbam avaL innum ariyaaaadha kalvi

(2) beautiful Balu & LRE duet!

OrgOlam pOginra kili koottam ellam
ooraarkku sollungal ondru
oru kOdi inbangaL ondraaga kaanum
oru jOdi kili naangaL endru

loaded with sangathies at the end words and like

idhu oru vaazhvu inimaiyai kaana
idhu oru vaaazhvu inimaiyai kaana

& Variation/elongation at the end phrases ( strategy - 2)

konjuvathai paarthu kOvai rasam ootru
kOOvai rasam ootRu ...(by Balu)

thalaattum megam thalavillai mOham
thaaalavillai mOham.......(by LRE)

will return.. Smile

Vinatha.

Last edited by baroque on Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:22 am; edited 4 times in total
baroque

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evening commute was not at all taxing...
Thanks Shri.MSV for the good time!
Smile

SL , Whatever I organized in my mind while enjoying I post them here Smile

1. kannanai ninaikkaadha naalillaiye
kAdhalil thudikkaadha naalillaiye
unnumbhOdhum urangkumbhOdhum
yennam muzudhum kannan thaane..
kannaaa.....kannaaa......
kannan thaane.... kannan thane.

with jadhi increase in the middle & shenoy rhythmic gestures
(strategies 1, 3 & 4).

4.Nalladhu kanney
kanavu kanindhadhu nandri unaku
Uravil yezhundhadhu anbu vilakku
enadhu madiyinil vaa
seethaa
seetha
seetha
seethaa

Nalladhu kanna
Uravil yezhundhadhu anbu viLakku
enadhu madiyinil vaa
raama
raama
Shree raamaa

Nalladhu kanna
Uravil yezhundhadhu anbu viLakku
enadhu madiyinil vaa
raama
raama
Shree raamaa ....(strategy - 2... but tune repeated in LOWER OCTAVE).

The song AZHAGENUM OVIYAM.... too Vani repeats ilakkiya.... the phrases in pallavi in LOWER OCTAVE.

Another enchanting Yesudas(Indru Pol Endrum Vaazhga) I recall

anbukku naan.. adimaii..
thamizh panbhukku naan.. adimai.. (Elongated singing)

anbukku naan.. adimaii..
thamizh panbukku naan.. adimai.. (repeated in melodious voice) Beautiful composition loaded with sangathies at the end of the phrases with piano, violin, flute ludes.

lovely song idhayathil irundhu idhayam varai.......

AESTHETICS of LAYAM ... Strategy - 4 (I gather in this folder. Let us wait for SL's explanations on the tempo)

Amma kannu summa chollu aasai illaiyo en mel aasai illaiyo
unnai allikkatti kollum podhu inbum illaiyo......

ETERNAL BEAUTY! Azhago azhagu.. singaara rasam sotta sotta..

Vinatha.

Last edited by baroque on Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:36 am; edited 3 times in total
baroque

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I missed a song in my previous post.

Vellikkinnam thaan.....Uyarndha Manithan.
Romantic composition.
Female vocalist has no sahithyam... she hums hums hums in reply! (strategies 5,4 with waltz finish)
Changed tempo in charanams.. waltz melody finish innum sollavo inbum allavo....

Vinatha
Vatsan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: Resp. Reply with quote

Ceeps posts songs that I have/had in my mind Smile

oorgOlam pOgindra is certainly on my target list. 'azhagenum Oviyam' and 'nallathu kaNNE' reveal yet another facet, the ability to place phrasings for female vocals (or male as the case may be) as a response in the pallavi or charanam. Quite a few duets that reveal this feature. Being tempted to take that up as well........
baroque

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SL,
Please write elaborately in your poetic style the songs others highlight.
Yesterday I wanted to save the composition Azhagenum ooviyam.... for you then decided otherwise Smile
He has churned out 100,00000000000 songs with unimaginable, unique melodic decorations, what am I saving it for!
Looking forward to your articles on the next phase..
Vinatha.
baroque

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SL,
yeppo varuvel? Smile with your next write - up!
With Baseball 7-8:30pm I had a long, tired Wednesday with back to back schedules..
now all chores done with satisfaction.. I am enjoying a P.B.S-P.S duet.. ...all my fatigue gone, my manasu flying in kushi.. What a sugam! want to share the musical with you! I am in great mood, Thanks Shri.MSV-TKR Very Happy Smile Vinatha.
Vatsan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: bb Reply with quote

Ceeps, how many more surprises are you going to throw in ? Smile You play baseball ?? Interesting.....

The problem is I have joined my offshore wing for the time being and am able to contribute only during the office hours. Its pretty late when I return home. In the last 2 days, I have been dragged out of my seat more often that I would like at work !!!! Smile I will squeeze in as much as I can.
baroque

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not one of the athletes of SFO Giants or Seattle Mariners or Texas Rangers ..
kashtum... Razz
I participate in my son's weekday/weekend sport programs softball, soccer, floor hockey, basketball etc.. help kids practice skills. Smile
It was late evening program, I was dead tired. adhukku sonnen .. Smile
Song was refreshing & joyous. I wanted to share the song with you rt away! Smile

Please you concentrate on your work.

I share the pattu now.

KAN MAINYENTHUM....P.B.SREENIVAS WITH SUSHEELA (Strategy - 2 Repeating the long phrases/passages with completely different tune or reinforce the mood in lower/upper octave... 'Hey Babe, I SPICE IT UP' - technique!)

uravennum vilakkaaga
uyir ennum sudaraaga
oli veesum unakkaaga naan vaazhuven

uravennum vilakkaaga
uyir ennum sudaraaga
oli veesum unakkaaga naan vaazhuven (identical repeat)

viral konjum yaazhaaga
yaazh konjum isaiyaaga
isai konjum manamaaga naan maaruven (first time he steps down to lower octave)
(MUSIC)

kai viral konjum yaazhaaga
yaazh konjum isaiyaaga isai konjum manamaaga naan maaruven
(repeated in pallavi tune)

http://www.desimusic.com/player/ra/ondemand/player.asp?23844

SL, I love the way P.B.S says ‘konjum’, 'manamaaga' he appadiye kollaikondu poyee my manasu!

Kan mainyendhum... is your reinforcer for this day! Smile
We wait for you to return..
Vinatha.
Vatsan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:12 pm    Post subject: Resp Reply with quote

Hey Vins, thanks for portraying your deep appreciation of nuances. This comes with the 'nAn kANbathellAm azhagin sirippu' style of living with a generous sprinkling of 'sukhavasiness'. Now, I recall those beautiful hours at Udhaya's (dhool.com) place at Mountain View being thoroughly submerged in the TFM oldies.....

With respect to your Strategy - 2 I do recall writing on it on tfmpage a good 7-8 years back....atleast I think so:) In any case, you have tempted me into a detour that I will take temporarily, today, now that I have some time to write. ellAm un(gaL) thappu thAn Smile

Many thanks for sharing the song and your enthusiasm for wanting to share....which bubbles into elaborate , heartfelt postings here....

About your forays into baseball, I forgot to include a smiley after the word "interesting" Smile
Vatsan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Part 5 Reply with quote

Another installment...

The last song discussed amply portrayed how a tune progression depends on how well the composer harmonizes the preceding tune layers, effectively reconciling the melody and taking it forward……down to closing it out completely.

There have been several “female-counterparts” for “ponnondru kaNdEn’ which was sung by TMS and PBS. Most of those songs came to permanently rest on our bosoms through the incomparable vocals of P Susheela and LR Easwari. One such song that titillates your nervous system, pats you on your back doing the mischievously disappearing act, gently coaxes, puts you on tenterhooks before holding you captive in a warm embrace….’chitthira poovizhi vAsalilE vanthu yAr nindravarO’. The tune starts off with portraying this very act of the feminine exchange of knowing glances and knowing grins peppered with mischievous nudges and winks.

“intha kattukkarumbinai thottu kuzhainthida
yAr vanthavarO”

The juxtaposition at the word “kattukarumbinai” is sensitive composing alright….the idea of plunging the word and then drawing it out like a “bottom-up” curve indicating “playful seriousness”  The musical psyche that feels its way through the song ends up wanting to raise eyebrows and widen eyes here…..in loving curiosity “hmmmm….kattukkarumbinai……yAr vanthavarO ?” Smile I am sure MSV with the poet’s sanction squeezed in the last two lines for allowing the feeling to linger….

‘yAr ninravarO
yAr vanthavarO”

Subtle sangathis, expertly reigned in by MSV elevate the tune as much as they bring to fore, the deeper import of the lyrics….well, as always. MSV’s fine feel for what and where to uncork and where to reign in, always ends up rendering a song…perfect, as much as the meticulous sculptor chisels away the last few remains of the unwanted ‘fat’ from his product.

A solemn P Susheela explains to the ebullient LR Easwari…..

“thenral azhaithhu vara thangathhErinil vantharE” and as the infectious bounce and feel of the song permeates her, rounds off with a nonchalantly playful restart of the pallavi. The flow of the tune holds the composer himself captive as he prefers to let the percussion pattern and tempo (with subtle variations) continue as a constant, gentle murmur, never overpowering the tune.

LR Easwari continues her probing, prodding in the charanams with a poetic & a musical wink almost bordering on the lascivious Smile . A “feeling packed” start to the charnam depicting subtle inquisitiveness leading to

“ intha pattu udalinai thottaiNaikkum kalai kattru theLinthavarO “.

The curious protagonist on the screen has put through a melodic phrase in the first line of the charanam as well, that waits to be placated , reconciled. Reconciled…yes, musically reconciled for sure as the composer “ripples” through the words ‘pattu udalinai thottaNaikkum’. Liken it to a paper boat in a bucket of water that lifts and bows down while taken through the ripples or the “rippled” reflection of the moon on calm waters that seemingly moves with the waters, this melodic phrasing is a tasty act of settling interim probes for the melody to move on…a reconciliation !!!! An “out of the box” ace served.

Overall, the composer in MSV hasn’t sanctioned any drastic changes in the tempo/ beats and has preferred to weave the tune around the flow that was imparted to the pallavi. Probably a laya based continuation of melody……..melody reconciled or not, I am sure I warmed the heart of one particular participant in this forum Smile

I have always wondered at how a song like ‘ennai maranthathEn thendralE’ from ‘kalangarai viLakkam’ could have been tuned.

“ennai maranthathEn
thendralE
sendru nee
ennilai solluvAi”

Regardless of whether the tune came up first or the lyrics, the very construct is awe inspiring stuff. The linger and pause at ‘solluvAi’ while violins at the far horizon, end their ‘counter melodic’ role they played until now with a curve, preparing for next musical block.

“kAtrOdu vaLarum anbu kAtrOdu pOgum..mannavA
kaNNOdu malarum anbu kaviyaaga mARaathO…..”

The tune for this piece of lyric ends on a high, expressing the sorrow of eyes looking heavenwards, pleading for a solution and the anguish of a torn heart. The high powered plead is followed by a telling, pregnant pause.

The charanams, I am sure were tuned for pre-written lyrics.

kalaiyAtha kAthal nilaiyAgavenru
aziyAtha silaigaL seiyathAyO

The words glitter as the tune cascades through crests and troughs culminating in a rhetoric and how well the aura of the tune expresses the rhetorical question !!! The tune has been created for a question that doesn’t sound like a question but like a lament. As usual, MSV-cally apt.

onRum aRIyAtha peNNin mana vAsal
thottu thiravAmal engE senRAyO

Yet another rhetorical question with the tune gliding and ‘brooding’ over the word ‘engE’ musical spread.

intha nilamALum mannan nIyAna pOthum
nAnALum sontham illaiyO

Quickly skipping over to the charanam end, the tune has already announced that the charanam is flowing towards its closure. ‘nAnALum sontham illaiyO’ tunefully wallows in self-pity, enveloped by a feeling having been deprived and the general emptiness that surfaces when a ‘belonging’ is snatched away, abruptly. The fold placed at ‘illaiyO’ and the telling pause…what else it is, other than a melodic punctuation !!! As in most of MSV’s songs, the ‘fold’ was not necessary, but aesthetically uplifting, delicious.

kaNdaalum pOdhum kaNgaL, P Susheela continues pitying herself punctuated as the tune beseeches through the singer at ‘mannavA’

en aaval thIrum..mannavaa

The tune sobs through the singer now after the imploration and climaxes in the same line with a heartfelt, overt display of an appeal, ‘mArAthO’, ‘sonnAlum pOthum nenjam malarAga mArAthO’ as the lyrics read. A gamut of emotions and feeling only a heart that has experienced being torn apart will and can know. But nevertheless a classy melodic treat…even for the unmolested hearts Smile
Vatsan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vins, will heed by your request to cover songs you have covered soon. Please bear with me on this. TIA.Smile
baroque

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

''ellAm un(gaL) thappu thAn''
Appadiya..
It is working out well for MSVTIMES. I suck it up! Smile

Strategy - 2.. Quite a lot of songs.. Smile

Tune, lyrics , percussion, music dripping with romance PESUVATHU...MASTERPIECE!

paaduvadhu kaviyaa illai paari vallal maganaa
paaduvadhu kaviyaa illai paari vallal maganaa
seranukku uravaaaa senthamizhar nilavaaaaa (Female vocalist responds in Higher Octave first)
hoi...

(Female rephrases in LOWER OCTAVE)
paaduvadhu kaviyaa ilai paari vallal maganaa seranukku uravaaaa senthamizhar nilavaaaa..

hoi..... hoi..... hoi..
paaduvadhu kaviyaa ilai paari vallal maganaa

2. Thamizhil ...... from SANGEY MUZHANGU!

Thamizhil adhu oru iniya kalai
unnai thazhuvi kanden andha kavidhaigalai
thamizhil adhu oru iniya kalai
unnai thazhuvi kanden andha kavidhaigalai

azagil nee oru pudhiya kalai
azagil nee oru pudhiya kalai (higher octave)
unnai anaiththu kanden inba kanavugalai

azagil nee oru pudhiya kalai
unnai anaiththu kanden inba kanavugalai ......(Second time steps down in Lower octave with elongated humming reaches high!)

Composition loaded with strategies 1 & 2

Poonthottam ponmedai manimandabum
oru pennaaga uruvaanadho...
pennaaga uruvaanadho
poomeedhu vilaiyaadum ponvandugal
un kannaaga uruvaanadho... kannaaga uruvaanadho
annangal thaalattum kannangal yenakkaga kalyana oli kaattudho
annangal thaalattum kannangal yenakkaaga kalyana oli kaattudho

What a ULLAM KAVAR KALVAN! Smile

Paaradha paarvaikku parisallavo undhan
Maarbodu naan vandhadhu... maarbodu naan vandhadhu...
paal pondra paavaikku sugamallavo
nalla naal paarthu naan vandhadhu...
nalla naal paarthu naan vandhadhu..

Why can't I be that girl for HIM?

Nei vaartha kuzhal meedhu kaipottu vilaiyaadum
kalai undhan kalaiyallavo
Nei vaartha kuzhal meedhu kaipottu vilaiyaadum
kalai undhan kalaiyallavo
neeradum sugamondrum poradum suvaiyondrum
nee thandha vilaiyallavo.... nee thandha vilaiyallavo..

appadiyaa! Udhaya lives at Mountain View! You boys are always fun.
Naan paarpadhellam azhagin sirippu... line from oru koppaiyiley...Raktha thilakam. I have the songs with Neela vaanam.
I love Pasumai niraintha... & there is a song by Usha Utup - Merry go round... funky musical. I often listen to them.
will return to your mega post....Smile Vinatha
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Articles & Writings by Fans! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 3 of 13

Jump to: