"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

From Felicitations to T M S at Madurai

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Articles & Writings by Fans!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madhuraman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: From Felicitations to T M S at Madurai Reply with quote

Dear Friends,
After some break, I have come to post some interesting pieces pf information from to-day's Tamil daily "DINA MALAR' that has brought out a supplement on the occasion of felicitations to the veteran singer TMS at Madurai [06-08-08 6.00pm].

The pieces would hold interest for us as MSV is a part of the information.

On an occasion, MSV had planned a totally different composition for a song for Sivaji Ganesan and discussed the requirements in rendering the number. After listening to the style and nuances TMS stoutly refused to sing. TMS said
"no doubt the tune is different; but may not suit my voice, so locate some one else to record in this version. The unyielding MSV insisted saying
"For your singing talent and voice, this would never be a challenge, you would do it much better than what you expect" An irritated TMS asked MSV, "Are you planning to wind me up with this number?" The unperturbed MSV politely convinced TMS to record the song.
When Sivaji Ganesan listened to the number,he sought to postpone the shooting session. His plea was "I have to effectively portray the emotions in the voice of TMS. I need to do a lot of home work" Accordingly it was done.No wonder the song is an eternal hit.
It is "YAAR ANDHA NILAVU" from Shanthi.
For shooting the song "NEEYUM NAANUMA KANNA" from GOURAVAM, actor
Sivaji Ganesan repeatedly [about 10+ times] listened to the number.'Vietnam Veedu' Sundaram curiously asked Sivaji "Sir, you finish listening a song in 2 attempts. Now you have had several rounds- why?"
Sivaji replied " See, TMS has acted in this song through his voice. The 'bhavam' varies in Pallavi and in CharaNam, and has a different style in the next stage. Unless I reflect his effort, what he will think of me?"
Another instance from GOUVARAM movie.
The song "PAALOOTTI VALARTHTHA KILI" was originally rendered by some other singer and the scene was picturised too. On seeing the sequence, though everything was individually fine , the effect was lacking.
Now MSV had to resolve it. He mustered TMS and made him see the song sequence and requested TMS to render the song to match the lips and emotions of Sivaji Ganesan. TMS made a magnificent work of recording a somg to match the already registered emotions. TMS lent voice in the true sense of the occasion.
Another TMS -SIVAJI episode from the movie GNANA OLI.
"Devanae ennai Paarungal is a lofty number with high pitch rapid notes in rich emotions . MSV preferred to use Sivaji Ganesan's voice to render the interject " Oh Lord Please Answer My Prayers" and other such pieces. But Sivaji refused saying that the song is in real pitch and I can not do it in total match . Better get it done by someone else. Many were tried with no real benefit. Ultimately MSV sought TMS to add those lines. For that TMS met Mr.Sivaji and asked him to show how he would read those lines in his style. After listening to Sivaji, TMS recorded those lines by suitably modulating his voice for those 'statements' in the song.

ALL THESE HAVE APPEAREED IN TO-DAY'S "DINA MALAR' and I have attempted to make the nearest possible translation for our friends. My awe for MSV , TMS and Sivaji registers a new high on learning their toil to give the very best though they had to do things in a labour-intensive hard way.
Tail piece: Yesterday. there was some song sequence from the new movie
DASAVATHAARAM, where some bhajan like sequence on lord Krishna was shown ; the song was scrolled in Tamil on the top frame. But for this scrolling I would not understood that it was a tamil song. Obviously the movie makers themselves realize the need for scrolling. Then why the hell they make such stupidities shelling huge sums of money. One more evidence that technology is no substitute for originality.
Warm regards Prof.K.Raman Madurai.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Prof Raman,The quote from Dinamalar about TMS and MSVwas very very interesting. Also your conclusion was more meaningful. I also wonder why they spend so much in producing material fit for garbage. No amount of electronic gadgets can replace the sincerity shown by these giants in music. Now the internet is full of download able software for composing music and I am shivering to see which charlatan is going to use it to convince producers to accept the product. I t will be a Tsunami to the wonderful world set up by MSV and others. Only consumer resistance would help. Thanks for the info. Chakravarthy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Articles & Writings by Fans! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: