"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NENJIRUKKUM VARAI - Action.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Movies - A Special Section!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madhuraman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:04 am    Post subject: NENJIRUKKUM VARAI - Action. Reply with quote

Dear Friends,
I have to politely admit here that every artiste in the movie has contributed in a way unusual to Tamil films. I am sure eyebrows would arch out trying to pick up what I suggest. The reason is the movie has on its star cast all those known for their acting skills. But, in this movie , there is an excellent coordination by virtue of exceptional imbibing of situations by one and all. No individual does a shade more than what the scene requires. Why this sort of appreciation at this juncture? Any movie analysis should take into reckoning the general trends prevailing at the contemporary approaches in movie making. A certain amount of thorough restriction is visible throughout the movie and obviously these could be items for general survey. Yet, what one needs to perceive here is the way Sivaji Ganesan lends his calibre to this movie. In 1965-66, Sivaji Ganesan had such an image of a mega star that people presented voluminous dialogues to avail of his skills of articulate delivery and punch in pronunciation. With monosyllables as dialogue, Sivaji Ganesan has soared high by sheer expressions and body language. Clearly , use of body language in Tamil films is a matter for careful study, since much impact was infused IN THOSE DAYS by powerful dialogue rendered in high volume. Some sequences for us to recognize:
As a tenant unable to pay off a monthly rent of Rs5/- , how Sivaji faces the outbursts of VSR is a matter to see as one can not precisely describe all the dimensions. He politely replies him , though the reply is quite heavy. When the house owner insists on evicting them at night, all efforts of the inmates fail and they start moving off with their belongings; KRV who is a silent champion of their cause pleads with her father not to disturb them at night. On all such sequences VSR gives in. Now he says 'Sari ellarum pongada'; both VGopalakrishnan and MR vanish into the room leaving Sivaji to tackle the remaining issues. Tactfully Sivaji avoids any talk with VSR, but loudly tells KRV "Rsjee neeyae enga sarbila appavukku Thanks sollidu". It looks apparently simple but the way he has done it reveals that Sivaji was longing within himself for such an opportunity to act without relying on verbose back up. Another occasion when KRV steals the show is when Sivaji offers to serve food to her when she had already sat to eat. LOOK AT THE NATURAL FLOW OF WORDS.
Sivaji asks for Sambar to serve but KRV crisply says 'vekkala' and Sivaji says 'appuram?' . KRV readily says, 'RASAM KOOTTU , PORIYAL, APPALAM VADAI PAYASAM edhuvumae illa'. Baffled Sivaji gets the answer "Moru uppu, oorugai AS THE DAYS ITEMS. One should see how the two carry the emotions matching the mood. Now KRV says "pARIMARI AACHU ILLA PONGA' and insists that Sivaji leaves the place saying 'Yaravadhu edhirla irundha ennala sappida mudiyadhu'. This scene is elegantly utilized to show that KRV has no special affection for Sivaji , but they are very good friends.
Also the way MR and KRV interact as lovers is perhaps the best portrayal as could happen between youngsters who come under the grip of love. The lady character uses only terms of respect like vaanga , ponga etc and all eschanges are just one or two words. Look at this.
Ippa appa nammaLa paatha - MR; KRV -Paaththa? MR- Adikka varuvaru. KRV-Thadukka varuvaen, MR- Poda veLiyaembar ; KRV- naanum ungaLodu vandhruvaen ; MR- AvLo dhaiririyam irukka?
The natural expression of affection, drawing intimacy between them has been brilliantly portrayed by both.
At one point V Goplakrishnan feels that he may not survive long and keeps a chit on his person requesting to hand over his body to Sivaji. Seeing this THE INFURIATED Sivaji warns him not to entertain such thoughts. VG replies , if I drop dead on the road, my body would be taken on garbage lorry as I am orphan, I just desire a decent burial -hence this chit, who else I can request except you?
Both VG and Sivaji share pain and pleasure alike and in company with no concealment of anything. On VG's death, Sivaji says'Ippadhanda naan anaaidhai aayittaen' [as at that point MR is away at Bangalore].
Later when MR deviates into wrong ways of life, Sivaji genuinely attempts rectifications but the wrong suspicion in MR ruins all life.
In all those scenes too , crisp words are used portraying their minds. To prove his innocence Sivaji shoots himself down and says to MR ' I have no other way of clearing your suspicion' . Once again a Sacrifice from CVS banner, this time a supreme sacrifice after a supreme acting by all and by
Sivaji Ganesan in particular. This is one of the rare movies where acting has been absolutely subtle and succinct elevating the very stature of movie and movie-making in one stroke. To continue

Warm regards Prof. K.Raman Madurai.
Vatsan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Resp Reply with quote

Dear Prof Raman,
Have been silently lapping all you have offered until now. One would easily believe that you were a part of the Chitralaya Group itself. Oh God, such intimacy with the movie(s). Great narration !!!
When you have time, please cover one of my all time favorite scenes in Tamil movies, a scene from "irumbuthhirai". The scene that comes after the "nenjil kudiyirukkum" number, where Sivaji and Vyjanthimala are seated under a tree and exchange sweet little pleasantries and mild "tiff" that is a part of the scene. Prof sir, since you have unwittingly exposed your romantic side, this scene should certainly enthuse you to pen about it here Smile Regards...
msvramki

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Professor,

Your writing on CVS's "Nenjirukkum varai", is as usual, fantastic and you have lived every moment with movie appreciating every aspect of the moment, be it Direction, Acting, Dialogue, Music etc. The real dimensions of these movies are coming out only after reading your write-ups.

Pl go on and on.

Regards
Ramki
madhuraman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:19 am    Post subject: NENJIRUKKUM VARAI - Action. Reply with quote

Dear Mr.Vatsan and Mr.Ramki,
Thank you both for the nice words of appreciation. As regards my familiarity with CVS's style of functioning , I have to place facts for youngsters to grasp perceptions of our generation. Those days movie-making was a highly planned event with no scope for adhoc arrangements. Stories had to be of some reflection of life even with in the wider ambit of permissible cinematic gimmicks of choreography and heroic fights. Things have to be 'acceptable' , lest the movie should suffer. In that era CVS certainly made a mark as a Producer-Director and brought off several nuances in screen play, dialogue, Song placements, special value for songs and above all technical supremacy of Cinematography and Direction. So to say he was the real Hero of our times. Saradha mam had earlier pointedout that CVS was one who drew a mass of admirers towards him by the sheer Art of Story Telling and had a fan following for a Director whose face was not known then. Thus, we came to understand many finer aspects seeing his movies. Certainly I have nothing to do with Chitraalaya. I do understand your pet comment.
Warm regards Prof.K.Raman Madurai.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Movies - A Special Section! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: