"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mesmerizing chorus of Mellisai Mannar
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Preludes, Interludes, Title Music, Re-recording, BGMs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friends,
Yet another type of chorus handled by MM was exemplified in the famous song in Gauravam. The song Neeyum Naanumaa has the sudden interlude towards the end with a lot of bass voices amplifying the situation and electrifying the scene. This was typical of MM's chorus used to highlight high voltage scenes, danger, fear, high emotions, etc.
Thanks,
Sai Saravanan
Venkat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another rare gem sung by our MM himself from the movie Pattinapravesam. The song is "Dharmathin Kannai Katti...". This song has got wonderful flute as interlude and the chorus will be very different.
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sir,
The example of Dharmathin kannai rendered by our master himself has a chorus that is different from the other. More of the type Neeyum naanuma from Gauravam. Sometimes this type of chorus makes one feel the feel of fear, anxiety and some kind of helplessness.
Thanks,
Sai Saravanan
s ramaswamy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

This is a good topic and would like to add my own two-paise worth opinion.

I think the excellent chorus song from "Nichaya Thambulam" "Netriyile Oru Kunguma Pottu" by PS and others can be added to this list. The beginning of this song "thanananathananana" is simply enchanting and it seamlessly moves into the lyrical part.

Ramaswamy
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mr.Ramaswamy and Mr.Bhaskar,
Thanks for the renewed interest in this topic. My original infatuation was purely for our MM's use of choir-based chorus to highlight various situations in his songs. It was this aspect that mesmerized one and all. Something that the Indian film music could not imagine until the experiments bravely introduced by Salil Chowdhury. But SC's songs were purely based on western style and he had intentionally planned and used this style. Whereas, in our case, MM had been using this by his own natural imagination and following no particular style. He just used the local choir groups to introduce this effect, as beautifully explained by Mr.Mural, Professor, etc. in the initial stages of this topic. They are just brilliant, and no other mortal could accomplish this effect till date, barring the routine western styled ones!

Later, of course, there was a brief mention of this other style mentioned by you both. This could be called as chorus of a new and different type, not based on the choir style. I am not disregarding this style in this posting, but trying to isolate the original intention of this topic.
Thanks,
Sai Saravanan
s ramaswamy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Another chorus song I can add to the list is from the evergreen "Paasa Malar", the TMS-PS no. "Engalakkum Kaalam Varum" that begins with
"thandanathandanathanathane". How young TMS sounds and how sweet is PS's voice.

Yeah, the "Pudayal" chorus song is one of the gems of this genre. The prelude and interludes in this no. take away one's breath and PS's lilting voice adds to the overall effect.

Ramaswamy
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear friends,
I just recollected the comments made by Mr.Venkat on the song from Pattina pravesam, and listened to the song again. I do not know if the link that I am pasting below would properly lead to the song:

http://www.in.com/music/artist/m-s-viswanathan-36576-3.html

The comments made has reinforced my thinking after I listened to the song again after a long time. This is a totally different style of composition using the choir-type chorus, beautifully mixed with a regular style of his song. This song is probably a forerunner to many an IR song of this type, unmistakably!!

Please focus on the chorus and you feel the difference!

regards,
Sai Saravanan
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear friends,
Recently one of our forum members sent us a link on MM's soulful rendering of a(nother) pathos version of 'sollathan ninaikiren' starting as 'solla ninaithathu'. Very few times did he use such a chorus singing for himself, and this is indeed a rare gem of a song with very apt and touching chorus. It brings out the depth of sadness and beautifully lingers on in MM's golden voice.
A great find and unique chorus!
Thanks,
Sai Saravanan
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Friends,
Recently when I had a chance to listen to the song 'Inquilaab Zindabaad' from Raajapart Rangadurai, after a very long time on TV, I was mesmerised by the master's compisition. Then, almost at a moment of a dramatic climax, the chorus appeared and took over. It was a grasping moment. There was a feeling of fear as the situation was not pacing towards a really cinematic climax - the patriot was to be hanged. How aptly has this been brought out by MM's choir-based chorus! It invoked a mixed feeling of patriotism, apart from the fear. What all can be imagined by our master when he uses this choir!!!
Thanks,
Sai Saravanan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Preludes, Interludes, Title Music, Re-recording, BGMs All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: