"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Some devotional albums by Mellisai Maamannar
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Songs Composed by MSV-TKR and MSV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:11 am    Post subject: Some devotional albums by Mellisai Maamannar Reply with quote

Dear friends,
I do not know if the release of this cassette/CD has been discussed under any other heading in our discussion forum. I could not resist the temptation to share the joy of hearing the songs composed by MM.

I stumbled upon this cassette sometime back when I was doing "Giri Pradhakshinam", in the book stall at the sacred Sri Ramanashram at Thiruvannamalai. The sight was like seeing an oasis to the dried throat. Thankfully, it wasn't a mirage! I do not know the background of this release, but here are some details as appearing on the cassette:

Six songs have been composed by Vaali and the remaining four by Ilayaraaja. Bhavathaarini sings a couple of them, Ananthanarayanan sings a mantra-like number, two by SPB, one by Sowmya, one by Kalpana (?), and remaining three by IR. MM joins IR in the last song. This is a dialogue-like song. The best song is Bhavatharini's "Vanakuyile" in Naattai; it is worth listening to for the instruments handled by MM. Her voice, of course, is not very stable and is very shrill. Sowmya's and Ananthu's songs are also good. Especially the tabla and dholak for Sowmya's. IR's singing evokes the usual rough mood and does not sound "spiritual". But, the credit only goes to MM for his music to all the songs. Worth listening!

If any of our friends have the background (story) of this cassette, kindly share.

Sai Saravanan
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear friends,
I came across yet another devotional album composed by MM. The title is "Vadivelazhagaa vaa". The songs have been rendered by SPB. Typically like a regular devotional album, this contains suprabhatam to start with, with the voice of MM appearing in the opening itself.

The melodious part in the album is the song "Dhandayudhane". This song starts with the brilliant tabla, and the pinnacle is MM's voice appearing like a sudden breeze in the middle of this song. I am unable to comment on this album, as I am stuck just with this one song! His voice is so refreshing! The cassette is released by Media Dreams Ltd.

Sai Saravanan
baroque

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

கவியரசு கண்ணதாசனின்
பக்தி கீதத்தில்,

ஸ்ரீ கிருஷ்ணா....கிருஷ்ணா...

இசை.ஸ்ரீ.விஸ்வநாதன்.

தேவதாருவே....ஸ்ரீ.சௌந்தரராஜன்
பிருந்தாவனம் ....சுஷீலா
கங்கை கரையினிலே......ராஜ்குமார் பாரதி
நாடி வந்த செல்வம்......இளையராஜா
புல்லாங்குழல்.....ஜானகி
அன்னையிலும் சிறந்த.......பாலா
மனக் கோயில்......வாணி ஜெயராம்
ஊழி வெள்ளம்.......ஈஸ்வரி &வீரமணி குழுவினர்
பாடிடுக.....விஸ்வநாதன்
வைகறை பாடிடும்........சுஷீலா & வீரமணி
பாஜ கோவிந்தம்........பாலா.

ஏவிஎம் ஆடியோ.

mesmerized by the longing mood in புல்லாங்குழல்.....ஜானகி ( reminds Shri.Ilayaraaja's விளக்கு வைக்கும் நேரத்திலே...முந்தானை முடிச்சு )

மனக் கோயில் கொண்டெழுந்தான் பரந்தாமன் .... வாணி ஜெயராமன் .... enchanting composition with a touch of rag mohanam(?)... (நான் ஒரு பொன் ஓவியம் கண்டேன்....ஸ்ரீ.இளையராஜா gushing in my manasu Smile )

BEAUTIFUL JOB,Shri. Viswanatha!
(but there is no place for
டிஷும் டிஷும் sound orchestration in a Bhakthi sangeeth album!)

Rest of the musicals while driving this evening!

VINATHA Smile

Last edited by baroque on Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear friends,
This album written by Kannadasan seems to be a sequel to the masterpiece of our MM (Krishna Gaanam). The highlight of this album is the clear recording by AVM, in stereo sound.
Regards,
Sai Saravanan
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Friends,
I had just acknowledged the item by Vinatha but forgotten to mention more on the album.

As rightly pointed by you, the sound that is introduced in Rajkumar Bharati's song 'Gangai Karayinilae' is the only difficult thing to accept. It is a beautiful song, very elegantly sung by Rajkumar. But the sound overpowers.

The instruments, otherwise, have been brilliant in this album, thanks to AVM, once again. Especially, the tabla is a treat (Mr.Prasad!!!)! There can be no such tabla used in light music or devotional music anywhere in this softness, artistry and wizardry in Indian music. Big maestros exist, but not with this creativity!!

'Devataruve', of course, shows the age of TMS. Rest of the songs are good, except for the voice of IR, and a bit by LRE. Overall, the album did not pick up momentum as the Krishna Gaanam did, but, received large support from Vividh Bharati those days. Best song is by MM himself.

Regarding the last ones mentioned by you, I do not find them in the cassette. Are they there in the LP record version or so?

Sai Saravanan
baroque

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a CD . HAPPY HOLIDAYS!
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friends,
There is another album on the Lord of Batu Caves (Murugan). MM has used Mano and Chitra for all the songs. The recording is quite good and sharp. The highlight, again, is the voice of MM. He opens the album with a flawless, high-pitched prayer (patratravan vaazhum), which actually sets the tone for the entire album. Singing by Mano is not extraordinary. Chitra sounds technically brilliant. Not pleasing. But, somehow, the initial touch by the Mater is not continuously present when these two sing.

The music, of course, is beautiful. The dholak and tabla keep the pace with their legendary crispness with exquisite softness, only original to MM. Personally, the opener by our Master, and the music attract me to listen this album every now and then.

I actually discovered this cassette, by a strange chance, in one of the shops under Malai Mandir, New Delhi, many years back. Recently, in that old memory and a feeling of selfishness-to hunt for any of MM's albums, I was there, but, could not see any such shop.

Worth listening.

Sai Saravanan
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had forgotten to mention a few more things on this album. The actual name is Patthu Malai Geetam. The songs have been written by Pirai Sudan. Cassette released by Magnasound in early 1994. Clear recording, though not like the one done by AVM for Krishna gaanam-2.
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear friends,
The next album that I came across, and am a proud owner too, is "Sri Ayyappa Saranaanjali". This was released by Lynx Corporation, Madras, supposed to be in 1987. But, I had got a cassette in December 1986, by chance! My luck! The songs are by Sri Tamizh nambi. There is an introduction by Sri MN Nambiar, where he praises MM a lot.

The recording is quite good,not very sharp, bur soft and pleasant to hear. The usual decoration by Tabla and Dholak creates the background. The best part of the entire album is that MM sings ALL the songs HIMSELF! This is what I call ambition of a devottee like me (all of us) and realize it too! 10 songs and all by our master. Great good fortune.

The mood in many of these songs is fantastic. His humming adds to the glory, and transports one and all. Each and every song should be heard by our elite team members , especially those with the prowess of Carnatic music (Murali Sir, Raghavendran Sir, to name a few and many more...), and explain them more profoundly. One does not have to know anything about Swamy Ayyappa or the rituals practised there to understand the songs. His singing itself takes you to another spiritual plane. Great Experience!!

Regards,
Sai Saravanan
N Y MURALI

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mr. Sai Saravanan,
Is the Iyaappan casette has got a song with the word 'Aaaroya Daadhave' sung by MM.

Please inform me.

N Y Murali
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mr. Murali,
Yes, there is a song which starts as 'endha peyaraal eppadi azhaippaen..'. The ending line of the pallavi is 'aarya dadhaave aarya dadhaave'. This is the 4th song on the A side of the cassette.
Sai Saravanan
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Friends,
A golden hued and honey tipped album...Vailankanni!!

A long time favourite of mine - I happened to hear some songs from this LP record during my school days, especially in the evenings, and sundays. Our school was in the same compound with a big church (in Thanjavur) also in it. This record used to be played very often. The most reverberating song used to be the 'Kuzhalum Yaazhum' by KJJ. It must be due to God's blessings that KJJ must have got such an opportunity of his life to sing this song. The song used to waft along with the evening breeze. I used to feel the caress of the 'mellisai' and a divine fragrance whenever I heard this song.

Hamsaanandi?

The songs have been written by many: Kuzhanthai Rajan, Thanjai Yesudasan, V.Parasuraman and Roobi Joseph. The release was in 1976. But the cassette released by HMV is awful, with a poor quality shell. Most of the time, I keep repairing the cassette nowadays.

The opening one is Kuzhalum Yaazhum, a master piece by MM, sung by KJJ. The flute along with a soft and simple, but powerful orchestration.

LRE has sung 2 songs, one on the A side 'Umaithedi' and another 'Thayin madi'. They are good. The earlier one sounds very church-like and creates a feeling of being there.

Master has sung 2 songs. The first one on the A side is 'Vanna vanna'. This is a very beautiful and moving one. His voice melts in us. The other one is more like a chorus song ('Anbaana maandare').

P.Susheela: She has captured the mood with 2 beautiful songs. The second one 'Alaikadalin orathil' is an all time favourite of all. This used to be broadcast in the radios more often. This must be heard. It moves like the sea breeze. Her first song 'Amma devanin' also is good.

Lastly, the final song is a duet of KJJ and VJ: 'Annaiye arogya'. The song reminds us of 'Uppai thinnavan' due to the use of violin and the strumming of guitars. The use of counters by our master is excellent. Vani is fluent. This song adds some briskness to the album.

Overall track record has been that the 3 major songs might be known to many people allover the world, much like the Krishna Gaanam songs.

How lucky was I to hear these songs! My schooltime memories made me hunt for this album, and finally I got this in the church shopping area at the Elliot's beach, in Chennai few years back. Excepting for the poor quality by HMV, the cassette is a prized possession of mine!!

All of us must listen to these simple innocent songs, to fill ourselves more with the nectar called MM.
Sai Saravanan

tvvraghavan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sai Saravanan sir
Many thanks for the posting. More importantly, I am really enthralled to find this album in the internet Smile. Following is the link,

http://www.hummaa.com/music/album/Our+Lady+Of+Good+Health+Vailankanni/28219

Yes, "Kuzhalum" is indeed hamsanandhi. This raga has a very unique feature of imparting a divine, yet an agonising and a melancholic expression to the listener. Who can forget "Enna Kodupaan , Edhai kodupaan" or "Ninaithaal Podhum paaduvaen" or the classical "Paavana Guru...pavana pura" !!! Another interesting aspect of the song is the brilliant sangathis in "Mridangam".

Kindly observe the usage of Mridangam in first two lines when the pallavi after the charanam,

"Kuzhalum Yaazhum kuranilnil Dhonikka,
kumbidum Velaiyiley ..." ( what a sangathi here... Smile )

and the transition that happens when the below is sung.

"Mazhalai Yesuvai Madiyil Sumanthu".

Innovation, creation, embellishment, perfection and what not in each and every note of the song..... Great !!

The complete "Kuzhalu Yaazhum" can found in cool toad link below,

http://music.cooltoad.com/music/song.php?id=362456

I remember listening to this song as a kid in "Tiruchi vaanoli". My father used to wake me up by tuning this station at 6:30 AM every morning when "Bakthi paadalgal" were aired. Songs based on hinduism would be played in the beginning and at the fag end of the program the songs of other religion were aired. I am listening to this song again , perhaps after some 20 years Smile. The most fascinating aspect of the Master's compositions are that they leave an indelible or an everlasting impression on the listener irrespective of the age and being aware of the creator. I am extremely thankful to you for bringing back those old memories. It is always great to feel nostalgic on a Sunday morning Smile.

"Annaiye Arogya .." is typical MSV duet of 70s Smile. The prelude says it all. Yes, the violin that fills in between the pallavi and the anu pallavi does resemble "Uppai Thinnavan..." and also the lude that comes in "Angum Ingum". There is strong resemblance of his usage of counter melody in all these songs which is his own trade mark style and is unique to MSV and MSV only, so to say Smile. I could not stop myself from getting carried away to " Paravayai Kandaan...Vimaanam Padaithaan" or to " Megam enbadhum minnal enbadhum azhaga illayaa... " (Iravaa...pagalaa) when the charanam starts Smile. Typical MSV style.... Needless to say, though the songs are composed in the light music style and travels into various genre in the ludes, our Master never fails to impart the DIVINE feeling to the listener, satisfying the boundary conditions and and hence scores HIGH, which once again proves his prowess as a composer who gives importance to the melody, Bhaavam or expression !!!

Though I am extremely happy to have found these songs over internet, the most agonising part is that they are not complete and end abruptly Sad in the link provided above. Nevertheless, we will keep searching and exploring and unearth much more immortal melodies which is the need of the hour.

Once again thanks to you, sir...

Hail MSV !!!

MSV Rules !!!
Venkat
tvvraghavan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:04 pm    Post subject: Idhu Iravaa Pagala - Neela Malargal - moved Reply with quote

The analysis of "Idhu Iravaa Pagalaa.." by S.R.Shankar is split as a new topic and hence moved to the "Pick a Song and Analyze" section. The original posting can be seen and further discussed in the link below ,

http://msvtimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2388

Regards
Venkat
parthavi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Raghavan,

'Kuzhalum' also has some resemblance to 'oomaip pennai pesach chonnaal' from Alaigal, a song, I often listen to, with undiminished awe every time. (Earlier, I have sensed a resemblance to this song to 'ninaiththaal pothum paduven.')

Thanks for your enlightening info on the raghaa base. I remember a kirtana 'karaththil vel endhum kandhan' by Maharajapuram in Hamsaanandi. My knowledge of hamsanandhi is limited to this!

I give below thlink for 'ooomaip pennai' from Alaigal, another neglected gem of MM.

http://www.jointscene.com/php/play.php?songid_list=24756
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Songs Composed by MSV-TKR and MSV All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: