"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kalyana Vasantham and MSV

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Songs Composed by MSV-TKR and MSV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
juja14

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:15 pm    Post subject: Kalyana Vasantham and MSV Reply with quote

Can any one tell me what is the song from the film Patchi Villakku called "Olimayamana Ethirkalam En" based on? My friend tells me that it is Kalyana Vasantham, Is it true? Responses are welcome Confused
N Y MURALI

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sir,
The song 'Oili Mayamaana Yedhirkaalam' is based on the raga scale 'Harikhambodhi'. It has the notations of the this raga scale only.
The song 'Kanchi patttuduthi' is in kalayana vasandham. even in that song there is a slight deveation from that raga. MSV never approaches any song based on raga unless the composition warrants a situation like the song 'Yezhu swarangalikkul'.

N Y MURALI
juja14

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:37 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thank u Mr.Murali on enlightening me on this subject. I have one more doubt that whenever I hear this song from Pacchai Vilakku another song composed by A.R.Rahman in Duet called " En Kathalay Enkathalay Ennai Enna Seyya Pokirai" comes to my mind, do they belong to the same raga?Hope someone will clarify my doubt. Once again I sincerely thank u all
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear friends,
This is an interesting and beautiful raaga. And the way MM handles it! If I am right, I recollect a song by KJJ and BSSasi Rekha for a Rehman's (actor) movie: "Ninnaiye rathi endru ninaikirenadi kannamma" - Bharathiyar's song. Now that I am reminded of this exquisite composition for a dance scene, Kalyanavasantham or not (pardon me for the disdain in my words, as I got carried away by the memory and charm of this composition!!), the song has been crafted elegantly by MM! By chance, did Mahakavi Bharathi himself come there to write the lyrics to MM's tune??!! The alaap of KJJ is full of bass and resonance. All the stringed instruments in flight! You feel a stream from a mountain gurgling by your side as you hear the dance of the tabla.

"Maaran ambugal en meedu vaari vaari.." What a bhaava! Only MM can do justice.

Thanks for the chance to revisit this song!
Sai Saravanan
parthavi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this song 'ninnaiye rathinendru' is from Neethikku Dhandanai, an SA Chandrasekar film, with dialogues by Kalaignar. The similarity between the ending of the second line of the pallavi and the ending of the pallavi 'antha thirumagalum un azhagai pera vendum' in Kanchi pattuduthi makes a musical ignoramus like me feel that both songs have been composed in the same raagaa, identified as 'kalyaana vasantham' by our musical analyst Mr.Murali.

Going a little astray in the direction of Bharathiyaar's songs composed by MSV, he has composed 'chinnan chiru kiliye kannamma' in a refreshingly new raagaa. Kumudam expressed its astonishment that MSV could compose this song in a new raagaa so brilliantly after the song has been heard for so many years in its traditional raagaa (Kappi, if I remember correctly.)

Or, take 'nallathor veenai seithe' I have heard one popular version of this song in the same ragaa as 'indru poi naalai vaarrai' of Sampoorna Raamaayanam. You can sing both songs in the same tune by just replacing the lyrics. And this song has been set to an interestingly different tune in 'Kalvanin kaadhali' sung by Bhanumathi( I don't remember who the MD was) But MSV has made a difference in 'Varumaiyin niram sivappu' reflecting the deep sorrow of a father for his estranged son, substituting the traditional pathos to a settled sorrow.
N Y MURALI

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Freinds,
Bharathiar songs tuned my MSV are always special. The reasons are

Bharathi's writing are emotional.

Bharathi was not only a kavi but also a musician with the result his writings are suitable for tunes. I feel Bharathiar is the front runner for the mellisai which later been used in our cinema. I was told that he tuned each of his writings himself and most of the ragas were in the north indian ragas like 'kaapi', 'desh', 'dwajavanthi' etc which appeal to the common folk. Bharathi's aim was that it has to reach the common folk.

So when MM re-tuned the same writing, it was a child play for him. And knowing that MM always approaches the writings with emotional expression through music there is no surprise.

There is one more song in the raga 'Kalyaana Vasantham' not by MM is the song 'Nalla manam Vazhga'.

The song 'Nalladhor Veenai seidhe' in 'Varumaiyin Niram Sigappu' is in the raga 'Thilank'.

Regards,

N Y MURALI
parthavi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Mr. Shankar for correcting me on 'Ninnaiye rathi endru'.
About MSV's rendering of songs of great poets, you have spoken whatever I had been thinking in my mind for the past several years. In infusing a feeling of being a Tamil and empathizing with our Tamil bretheren and bringing out the Tamil valor and glory,'Sange Muzhangu' is unmatched. what a contrast from the melifluous and soothing 'Tamizhukkum amudhendru per!'

There is one more Bharathidadsan song, tuned by MSV 'Puthiyathor ulagam seivom.' I think it is from 'Chandrodhayam' but I am not sure. This has a vibrancy and enthusiasm running through it, befitting the message of the poem.

You are right about 'Neeraadum.' It is our good fortune that MSV was given the task to set this song to tune.

Take 'Agara mudhala', the invocation kural of KB's films. Even in this short rendering inhis own voice, MSV has placed his stamp. I have been disappointed that KB has substituted this with Ilayaraajaa's rendering. I will never forgive KB for this!
Venkat

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever I think of Kanchi pattuduthi, the song Ninnaye rathiyendru ninaikirenadi... will come to my mind.
BTW, the song Ninnaye is from the film "Kanne Kaniamudhe" directed by S.A.Chandrasekar. Rahman, Amala and Sujatha acted...
This movie has another diffrent number rendered by SPB and Rajkumar Bharathi - Akhilam thiru nadanamidum...
N Y MURALI

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Venkat
You are correct. This song is from 'Kanne Kaniyamudhe'

N Y MURALI
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear friends,
Eventhough the discussion got diverted by my (unintentional) mention of the Bharathi's song, the justice done by MM to Bharathi's as well as others are true, real and sincere. I hope, by the way, that the song "Ninnaiye rathi endru" is Kalyana Vasantham?? Please correct. Struck by the similarity, I thought it should be so.

The song "Neeradum kadaludthu": was it not rendered by K.Veeramani? I do not remember... An interesting point herein is that our MM is one of the rare composers to have composed state anthems for two states. He is known to have done for Karnataka also. The other person that comes to my mind immediately is, of course, Rabindranath Tagore, for India as well as Bangla Desh!

What are the other TFM songs in kalyana vasantham?
Thanks,
Sai Saravanan
Vatsan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:57 pm    Post subject: KV Reply with quote

Talking of Kalyana Vasantham, the trumpet piece in the first interlude of "unakkenna mElE nindrAi" is in Kalayana Vasantham. MSV did this for a melody based in Sindhu Bhairavi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Songs Composed by MSV-TKR and MSV All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: