"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MM'S KARAHARAPRIYA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Songs Composed by MSV-TKR and MSV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
N Y MURALI

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:56 pm    Post subject: MM'S KARAHARAPRIYA Reply with quote

Madhavi Pon Mayilaal

This is the best Karaharapriya raga composed in carnatic style for TFM. They way the song starts is absolutely thrilling. Raga Karaharapriya is the 22nd Mela kartha raga out of 72. Melakartha raga means it has all the seven swarams. Many MDs have used this raga for TFM. But few have exploited this raga. MM is the one and only to have brought out the maximum variation of this raga.

The way the interlude has been handled for this song can make a proper carnatic singer proud. How could people judge him that he is strong only in mellisai? They have to hear this song to change their opinion.

I shall quote a few more songs which are composed in the same raga but not in different style. This will make us understand how he handled this raga and exploited to the fullest extent.

Maharajan Ulagai Aalalam – Karnan – A Hindustani style.
I Will sing for You – Movie ? – A fusion music of carnatic and western.
Pon Magal Vandhal – Sorgam – A typical MMs unique style-How to name it?
Malarndhum Malaradha – Paasa Malar – A typical MM’s Unique style. But there is a slight mix of da1 and ni2 during the charanam ‘siragil imai moodi arumai magal pola valartha kadhai sollava’.
Malligai yen mannan mayangum – again a typical MM’s unique style. This is very unique composition. But based on the swarams that come in this melody we can say this is based on the raga karaharapriya with the exception of ‘ga2’ which comes in the charanam ‘vaan megagangal’.
Thamizhil athu oru iniya kalai – Sange Muzhangu – A very rare raga based light music.
Agaaya Pandalile Ponoonjal Aadudhamma – Very different and ever lasting melody in this raga. Yesterday (22.03.09) I was watching ‘Endrum MSV’ programme in which this songs was played. The special guest for this programme was C V Rajendran.

I have listed out the above song which comes to my remembrance. There could be many more. But the important thing is to see how each song is different from each other in the over all melody. Now see how this song ‘Madhavi Pon Mayilal’ looks in total contrast to the other songs in its typical carnatic style. There is only one song composed by other MD which is also unique in Karaharapriya which is ‘Megame Megame’ in the movie ‘Palaivanacholai’. This is in the gazal style.

Regards,

N Y MURALI.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Songs Composed by MSV-TKR and MSV All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: