"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MM'S RARE RAGAS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Songs Composed by MSV-TKR and MSV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
N Y MURALI

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: MM'S RARE RAGAS Reply with quote

Dear Friends,

MM has composed some songs in a particular raga which happened to be a very rare raga not often used by others.

Magadhi – This is already known to us. This raga was suggested to MM by Dr. Bala Murali Krishna. The song being ‘Adisaya Raagam’

Divyaabaranam – The song ‘Annan Oru Kovil Yendral’. I have doubt whether this is the raga for this song though the actual swarams of this song happened to be in this raga. There could be a Hindustani raga for the same swarams could be the raga for this song as this song is clearly in Hindustani Style.

Hemavathi – The song ‘Adi Yennadi Ulagam’ in the movie ‘Aval Oru Thodar Kadhai’.

Kundalavarali – ‘Raja vaadaa Singakkutti’ from ‘Thisai Mariya Paravaigal’

Suradi – The song ‘Kanaa Kaanum Kangal Mella’ from ‘Agni Satchi’

Senchurutti – The song ‘Keettadhai Kottuppavane’ from ‘Deiva Magan’ and the song ‘Radaiyai Mugam Parkka Kannan Vandhaan’

Bahaadi – ‘Kannukku Kulam yedhu’ and ‘Naadu Adai Naadu’

Desh – ‘Sindu Nadhiyin’ and ‘Androru Naal Ide Nilavil’

Nilaambari – ‘Pallavan Pallavi Padattume’ and ‘Andha Pakkam Vazhndavar Romeo’

Sudha Saveri – ‘Kannile Kudiyiruindhu Karunai Tharum’ from ‘Imayam’.

Ameer Kalyaani – The song ‘Ennuyir Thozhi’, ‘Aval Oru Navarasa Naadagam’. There is one song in the movie ‘Maro Charithra’ sung by Madavi

Sarnagaa – The unbeatable song ‘Vellai Kamalathile’

Dharbari Kanada – ‘Pon Enben’

Sri Raagam – ‘Gangai Yamunai’, ‘Theviyar Iruvar’ and ‘Santhanithil Nalla Vaasam Yeduthu’

Deva Manohari – ‘Madana Maaligaiyil’

Hamsanandhi – ‘Azhathaal Kooda Paaduven’ from ‘Nenjirukkum Varai’

Vasantha – I thing the song starts with ‘Azhagiya Thrumugam’ from actor Suresh movie in the late 80’s

Lathangi – ‘Aadaadha Manamum Undo’

Revathi – Mandhira Punnagai from ‘Manal Kayiryu’

There could be many ragas like this. We need to explore that.

Regards,

N Y MURALI

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mr Murali,
Thank you for this information. It was very useful.
As suggested by you we can send the rare songs to Mr Ram to upload it in the site for the club to listen to them for inspiration.
I also hope that the songs for which I have done the vinyl restoration would bring youngsters to the field and learn the intricacies of his compositions and realize that the best possible fusion has already been done.
Thanks for sending the songs for which I had been searching for a along time.
Chakravarthy
parthavi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Murali,

I think 'Ettadukku Maaligaiyil' (Paadha Kaanikkai) and 'Vasanthaththil Oer Naal' (Moondru Dheivangal) are also in Dharbari Kanda. Pl correct me if I am wrong. I also perceive some shads of this raagaa in 'Muththukkalo kangal' (Nenjirukkum Varai), though this song is said to be based on some other raagaa.

'Sivasankari' (Jagadhalaprahaaban) - I don't recall who the MD is and 'Chinnanchiriya Vannapparavai' from Kungumam (KVM) are also other often cited songs in this raagaa. Vidhyaasagar has also given 'Malare Mounama' (Karnan) and, 'Nee Kaatru naan maram' (I don't remember the name of the film, it is a film starring Vijay). AR Rahman has given a song in 'Rhythm' on this raagaa (I don't recall the lines.)

You have taken great efforts in identifying and gouping songs in several raagaas. A commendable effort.
Vatsan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:38 pm    Post subject: Rare Ragas Reply with quote

Hi All,
"muzhunilavin thirumugathhil kaLangam illayO" is also in Gopika Vasantham.
Another Hemavathi could be "kai viralil piranthathu nAtham"

"kaNNilE kudiyirukkum..." is in Sama as "indru namathuLLamE pongum puthu veLLamE" in thanga pathumai is

"manjaL pootti" is in the beautiful Durga

"kasikku pOgum sanyasi" is in yethukula kambothi as I was told it was.

"ninaithhAl pOthum pAduvEn" from "nenjirukkum varai" is in Gamanasrama the Mela kartha for Hamsanandi

A short quiz...what is one of the best usages of Keeravani you could hear ? Leave the well known ones "kaNNireNdum minna minna", "anubavam puthumai", "paruvathhil konjam".....I will answer....atleast according to me "thEru pArkka vanthirukkum chithhira pennE" from "iru thuruvam". Does MSV do a sruthi betham in this song ? Does it shift to "simhendra mathyamam" in the charanams ? Please do let me know.

I have always loved the scent of Tilang MSV sprays and withdraws it as swiftly as he made it appear. As in "nilavillA vAnam neerillA mEgam", "kAthalE Odi vA" lines. The raga is a heavy raga and to allow it come in, in a lighter vein and hold it on a leash without letting it loose is the work of a truly consummate Master. I would challenge the composers of today to get anywhere near Tilang without making the song sound heavy.
Vatsan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:16 pm    Post subject: Rara ragas Reply with quote

Hi SRS,
Let me revert to you on "kalaiyOdu..." after giving it a hear once more. Long time since I heard it.

"nAnindri yAr varuvAr" is not in Karaharapriya, but in Abhogi. Furthermore, it is an instance of sruthi bEtham, a case of shifting the "Sa". The charanam is in Valaji , a "Ma" sruthi bEtham of Abhogi. And how seamlessly it becomes Abhogi again.

As I have always believed and then known for a fact, MSV finished comprehensively all that could be done in music even before the heady days of "pAlum pazhamum", "pAva mannippu" and the likes.....and nobody else has the kind of composing "width" that MSV has, which means no other composer spread his musical tentacles into the art as much as MSV did.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Songs Composed by MSV-TKR and MSV All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: