"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MSV AND SITAR

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Preludes, Interludes, Title Music, Re-recording, BGMs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
N Y MURALI

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:00 pm    Post subject: MSV AND SITAR Reply with quote

Dear Friends,

Sitar is another north Indian instrument which had been very aptly used by MSV in his songs. The sitar being a string instrument can produced ‘gamagam’ and as such can be used for expressing a deep emotion is it happy or sorrow.

The first remembrance comes to my mind about Sitar is the song ‘Sonnathu Needhaana’ in which it was played beautifully in the Hindustani style. Especially the speedy notes played before the second charanam is possible only in Sitar.

We could have noticed when a happy situation emerges, or when people express ‘Aanandam’ (or Aanandakkkaneer) the sitar is used.

The other Sitar piece comes to my mind is in the song “Kettadhai Kodupppavane’ in which the Sitar helps to generate the divine emotions.

The same instrument is used to express the ‘Viraga Dapam’ in the opening prelude in the song ‘Ennuyir Thozhi’.

Very unique way of using the instrument happens in the song ‘Mayngugiraal Oru Maadhu’.

The instrument is used in the North Indian gazal style in the song ‘Vidiya Vidiya Silli Tharuven’

And there could be hundreds of song in which this instrument has been used by MSV as a normal instrument but used brilliantly. One such song comes to mind is ‘Aval Oru Navarasa Naadagam’. The Sitar piece just before the Pallavi was about to take of is a highly creative imagination.

But personally for me the best Sitar usage is in the song ‘Annan Oru Koil Endraal’ especially in PS version. The tune itself is very unique and a classic Hindustani style and Sitar give complete thrust for the total mood and expression of emotions.

Can an instrument which can produce only sounds and not words express emotions? MSV had made it possible in the song ‘Nilave Ennidam Nerungade’. Watch the Sitar and Flute combination before the second charanam ‘Oomaiyin Kanvai Yaar Arivaar?”. There are four pieces each for Sitar and Flute in that interlude. Normally in recording terms we call this as question and answer. That the Sitar is asking questions and the Flute is answering. All the four Sitar pieces would reveal the emotions ‘Kenjufying’ equivalent to the character KRV and the Flute pieces answers are equivalent to Gemini Ganesh the emotions being ‘Sinungufying’. The important information is that the last i.e. the Fourth flute piece reveals that all ends well with their love in terms of marriage is revealed by MSV in advance. I think this is one of the best interlude ever composed by MSV.

Coming to rerecording the Sitar piece in the movie ‘Deiva Magan’ is undoubtedly the best. The specialty of that piece is there would no words spoken and all the emotions of the character would be revealed only by Sitar.

Regards,

N Y MURALI

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mr.Murali,

You have added another instrument from northern India, the Sitar which MSV has used. May be you can , in the same spirit , come up with some more. I am sure you will be able to identify them. All the best.Waiting to hear form you.

I would like to add that I am not aware of any MD using two Sitars for playing in parts.[ Or it could be one sitarist playing two strings with different notes at the same time.]
This western use of harmony, MSV has used in many songs.
However to use a Sitar in this style requires imagination , courage and a Genius to execute it.
One example is "Lilly Malrukku Kondattam".TMS/PS in Ulagam Sutrum Valiban ...in the interludes.
The violin section answering the "sitars"! is a marvel of a composition.
To any Guitarist this section is like Nectar.

Regards,
Chakravarthy.
Venugopalan Soundararajan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another nice thread, Murali.

Two other beautiful songs that readily come to my mind are "Isai Kettaal Puvi Asaindhaadum" and "Pournami Nilavil Pani Vizhum Iravil".

Regards,
Venu Soundar
N Y MURALI

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mr. Chakravarthy and Mr. Venu,
Thanks for the feedback. Infact the sitar piece in the song 'lilly malarukku' is so catchy and times tested that it is my daughters's favorite interlude

N Y MURALI
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friends,
Use of sitar is a speciality of MM. Other MDs did not completely adapt or adopt this instrument for their compositions, and many took refuge under the veena. He has bridged all the sectors in the music world, brought fresh jugalbandis of usual and unusual instruments. It was and has been the family of Mr.Seth (or please correct the names) who had pledged their music to MM with a promise of playing for him for a lifetime, and importantly, all his generations too! This was mentioned by MM in his earlier narration for Ananda Vikatan. The sitar that we hear from MM's songs are, in reality, the best renditions of the instrument in film music thus far-be it North Indian or South Indian! Even Pandit Ravi Shankar's film music does not contain such elaborate pieces for the songs-only a few interludes here and there!
Unmistakeably, MM is a Gandharva or a Deva, who has music under his control! Or, is this the Sangeetha Saraswathy?!
Sai Saravanan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Preludes, Interludes, Title Music, Re-recording, BGMs All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: