"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MELLISAI MANNAR AND PRIVATE ALBUMS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Tamil Film History, TFM Composers, Directors, Actors, Movies & Music (General Topics)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VaidyMSV & Sriram Lax

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: MELLISAI MANNAR AND PRIVATE ALBUMS Reply with quote

All of us know about a few private albums , which pleased millions across the country
some of them that i know
a) thamizh thaai vazhthu
b) krishna gaanam - the popularity of this as much as film album
c) venu gaanam
d) sangeethan santhosham (i havenot heard , unfortunately )
e) msv and maharajapuram

but i wanted to discuss the other aspect -

he has composed songs for political parties also
to my knoweledge for AIADMK
a) rettail illai thantha vetri elai - by TMS - again a very famous number
after which MGR speaks about democracy , and campaigning for the party.
b) vasalliley rettaiillaay kolamidungal - by vani
bothe songs are so famous and class , and i used hear every day atleast twice minimum during my school days (-dindukal elections and there after 0

today i happened to hear many of dmk songs on anna /mk - near my home as well as during my travel to offc --to me the composition looks like of MSv- and songs were top class , stamp of MSv class of 60s

can any one confirm .
think we should also list the private albums of the grand master .
Venkat

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear All,
The album by "MSV and Maharajapuram" is "Sangamam". The year released is 1992. The live program was in Dec 1991. I am one of the fortunate person to see that program live. Released by HMV.

Another private album (instrumental) is "Thrilling Thematic Tunes of M.S.Viswanathan and his orchestra" released by HMV in the year 1970.

Two more devotional albums:
1. "Pazhani Sri Dhandayudhapani Swamy Suprabatham" by Nithyasree Mahadevan and Anantha Narayanan composed by MSV. Released by HMV in 2000.
2. "Arul Tharum Abirami" by Bombay Jayashri composed by MSV. Released by RPG/Saregama in 2007.

Apart from the above our MM has composed some Christian songs albums also.

Even I have heard lot of political party songs during election time, which makes me feel like MSV songs.
VaidyMSV & Sriram Lax

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dear mahesh

i was also one among that fortunate , what an experiene , i have the cassette of sangamam , but i am looking for mp3 , or cd , which are compatible to my computer , car cd player

MM has also Composed some songs for Melmaruvatthur adhiparasakthi , i was told
think we should compile a list
parthavi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Birla Planetarium was established in Chennai about 20 years ago, MSV had composed music for their programs. This is what I read in a Tamil magazine (Vikatan or Kumudham.The magazine had also praised the score.) I don't know whether the music is still being used by the planetarium.

At the time of the Chinese war in 1962, a short film was produced by the name 'Singa naatham ketkudhu.' Sivaji, Gemini, Savitri etc, had acted in that film. I listened to the sound track on AIR. The film had a story on the war theme. This film might have been screened in theatres, as a free show (like the news). Since I was living in a village at that time, I had no opportunity of seeing this film. But soon enough, the sound track was broadcast by AIR, Madras.

The music score was by V-R and there is a song in the film, 'Singa naatham ketkudhu, seena naadhan oedudhu!' I found it good when I heard it and I still remember the tune for the pallavi. I am not sure whether the film had any other song. I don't know whether any negative of this film still exists.

About 20 years ago, MSV composed music for about 5 songs written by Vairamuthu, Kamakotiyaan etc.in a special program for Pongal in Chennai Doordharshan. It was picturised like a live composing, with the poets reading their lyrics and MSV composing the tunes in his harmonium. The song written by Vairamuthu was 'Kannukku Mai azhagu,' which was later composed by ARR for the film 'pudhiya mugam'! Of course, ARR's composition is different. MSV's composition will start 'Azhagu, azhagu, azhagu.' The pallavi, kannukku...' will come after this. (I remembered this song because, I found that the 4th line 'avarukku naan azagu', had a different connotation, varying in meaning from the first three lines. Initially I thought it was a flaw in the poem but I later felt that it was perhaps allowed in poetry.)

Like the above examples show, MSV had literally spilled his creations at several places. Someone like U.Ve.Swaminatha Iyer has to gather them and preserve them for posterity! Even a person who writes jokes and titbits for magazines keeps the collection of his writings. But MSV's great works have been lost in the same way several literary classics of the past era have been lost.
Venkat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mr.VK,
I too have only the audio cassette of Sangamam. I bought that in 1992.
Audi CD is also released by HMV. Recently I saw that CD in Odessey. The cost is Rs.350/-.

Apart from this he has done private albums in Malayalam also. Songs on Ayyappan and Songs on Onam.

Dear P.R.Swami,
Thanks for providing these rare information.
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friends,
There is information that he had composed the state anthem or song for Karnataka just like our Thamizh thaai vaazhthu.
Sai
VaidyMSV & Sriram Lax

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dear sai

can you reserch more on this , it may be helpful to compile his credentials . let me try also
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sir,
I was conveying this information to some known kannada friends of mine. They are unable to get any information so far. Still trying...
Sai
parthavi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 2007 (or 2006, I am not sure), I attended the aninversary function of Kannadasan Viswanathan ArakkttaLai. In that function, Vaali's book 'Krishna Bhaktan' (published by Kannadasan Pathippagam) was released. This book is Vaali's poetic tribute to Kannadasan.

There was also a short music program by MSV's orchestra. One of Vaali's poems from the book was composed by MSV and sung by Kalpana. This was a thaalaattu. Vaali's imagination on how Kannadasan's mother would have sung a thaalaattu for the child that would grow into a great poet. The lyrics were brilliant. The composition was, needless to add, touching.

The video of the function should be available with the trust. I request the core team to obtain this video and upload this song in our site, lest this song should be lost.
parthavi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to add one more line, which I forgot to do in my original mail. This song is one of its kind in that it brings together three great legends in Tamil film music - MSV, Kannadasan and Vaali.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Tamil Film History, TFM Composers, Directors, Actors, Movies & Music (General Topics) All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: