"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[color=red]DEVA AN UNRECOGNISED AND UNAPPRECIATED GENIUS [/c

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Tamil Film History, TFM Composers, Directors, Actors, Movies & Music (General Topics)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
juja14

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:58 pm    Post subject: [color=red]DEVA AN UNRECOGNISED AND UNAPPRECIATED GENIUS [/c Reply with quote

The world sometimes behaves cruelly to even people with extraordinary talent either by neglecting him or by degrading his achievements. The case in hand is an apt example of such cruelty, yes Deva sir who is undeservingly and maliciously called xerox machine is really someone whose contribution to tamil music is impressive and indelible.

To start with, some of the best songs where his musical acumen manifests itself excellently I must go back to the later 80s and 90's The first example that would come to my mind is a song from a relatively unknown movie called "THANGA KOLUSU' starring Murali and Shali. In this movie a song called "Or thanga Kolusu Nan thantha Parisu Verenna Vendum Kanmani" would make even Illayaraja blush. Because such is the orchestration and sangathi and beautifully rendered by SPB and Chithra. Another song from the same film "Oh Nenjhay Nenjhay, Nee Enge Enge" may be the only song in the recent times where Western Music yields itself to the moving pathos so beautifully that once we listen to it, it makes us listen to it again and again. SPB and Chithra sang this too.

Then comes the film "Thoothu Po Chellakiliye" with actress Shenbagam in the lead, which boasts of a song in the mould of MSV"s hit "Madhana Maligayil" from Rajapart Rangathurai. Like this song, "Edho Enai Marakkalanai Azhagu Ila Mane" from this movie starts as a drama song and slowly changes its course into a sensational western piece.

Who can forget "Naan Paduraen Pattu, Intha Poongathaye Kettu" from the film "VEETAI PAARU NATTAI PARU' a film starring Saravanan and Ranjitha. Deva has used the age old song of "Aaha Nam Aasai Niraiveruma"(Film: Thaiku Pin Dharam) tune in a captivating way in this duet again sung by the great SPB and Swarnalatha.

All of us who read this will notice one thing. That is his greatest songs during his begining years found place in films of ordinary actors and directors. This proved to be the undoing of Deva's genius. Unlike A.R.Rahman who had Mani Ratnam, Balachandar, Shankar and scores of others behind him, Deva had no such greats but only hard work and his r long experience .

I could give a long list of examples where he has perfected the art of film music so brilliantly that he can be placed among the all time greats of Tamil Music World.

The greatest thing Deva still enjoys is almost all his songs are listened to and applauded atleast silently in buses that run in remote corners of Tamilnadu where no journey is complete without the Tapes being played on Assmbled Tape Recorders much to the need of the ordinary but music loving folks who may not know what Oscar is but certainly sheds a drop of tear when moved by soul melting music.

May God Give Deva A Long and Peaceful Life and Make Him Busy Once More in the filed of Films In order to Bring out the Best that remains with him.

Cool
ragasuda

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear JuJa14,
Hope we would know the original name of yours soon.
Any music lover, wouldnot have bias in appreciating good music. As such we do not have any reservation or limitation in appreciating good music, either it is from Deva or Ilaiyaraaja or Rahman.
There are many songs that have become hits and also melodies composed by Deva. In the 50s and 60s there was Veda, who was also termed as copycat. That's another topic.
But what about Genius?

The describtion for Genius from the pages of wikipedia reads thus:

"A genius (plural genii or geniuses,[1] adjective ingenious) is a person, a body of work, or a singular achievement of surpassing excellence. More than just originality, creativity, or intelligence, genius is associated with achievement of insight which has transformational power. A work of genius fundamentally alters the expectations of its audience. Genius may be generalized, or be particular to a discrete field such as sports, statesmanship, science, or art.
Although difficult to quantify, genius is to a level of aptitude, capability, or achievement which exceeds even that of most other exceptional contemporaries in the same field. The normal distribution suggests that the term might be applied to phenomena ranked in the top 0.1%, i.e. three standard deviations or greater, among peers. In psychology, the inventor of the first IQ tests, Alfred Binet, applied the term to the top 0.1% of those tested.[2][3] This usage of the term is closely related to the general concept of intelligence.
The term may be also applied to someone who is considered gifted in many subjects[4][Need quotation on talk to verify] or in one subject."

Pls decide for yourself.

Raghavendran
http://msvquiz.blogspot.com/
http://oldtamilfilmsongs.blogspot.com/
http://oldtamilfilms.blogspot.com/
http://mellisaititle.blogspot.com
parthavi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mr. Juja,

Any artist is judged by his or her overall performances not by a few flashes appearing here and there. Deva and Veda have unabashedly lifted tunes from hit numbers and presented them as their own. At least, Veda copied Hindi tunes and it was done openly, in keeping with the practice of Modern Theatres in the early stages.

Anyway Deva was very successful for sometime, having done a good number of films. That itself was a recognition for his output.
madhuraman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:48 am    Post subject: Tamil film history Reply with quote

Dear Mr Juja alias Ramki
In over 2 years of your activity in the forum you have made 16 entries of which the first one was to introduce yourself. Among the rest, barring some 4 items [approximately 25% of your writings on MSV] the rest are all devoted to non MSV subjects expressing uncontaminated respect for every other composer. It all began with Shyam. The other entries have been devoted to
'Abogi' by Gangai Amaran
V.Kumar
R.Sudharsanam
R.Govardhanam
K.V.Mahadevan
Piano works of all MDs and a response there of
Pachai vilakku song in comparison to ARR's work
Chandrabose And now
Deva . Other postings have touched upon MSV.

Dear friend , There is nothing wrong in appreciating grand composers of every era or calibre; but making it a near point to keep harping on themes that do not throw light on the works of MSV [for whom the thread is basically devoted] does not augur very well in the sense, the works do not draw serious comparisons nor justify the attempted effort of reminding a few names. At one stage, it made me feel that people are using the port in preference to MSV. So long as write-ups do not vividly cater to specifics, they fail to appeal. In future, please give fine details of the way you have been influenced by a piece of work without ignoring the credentials of MSV for a comparable situation. I hope you donot misconstrue my suggestion.
Warm regards Prof.K.Raman Madurai.
juja14

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply Reply with quote

Dear friends,

It is not my intention or my aim to overlook the contribution made by our great MSV to music in general and tamil cine music in particular.He is incomparable and a gift of god to all of us, no second thought about that. My chief aim in writing about all other composers other than MSV is to show and point out the work they have done. I do not think that it will belittle any one. There are so many to come forward and blow their horns about the greats, but how many of us are ready to stand behind one who has made an attempt or attempts to achieve greatness. Moreover I write about all these' lesser mortals' only in a section dedicated to TFM composers(General topic). Similarly one need not have the exact qualities to be called a genius as per some dictionary entries. It is a term that is purely comparative and has an emotional strain behind it. As for naming Veda and Deva as copy cats as some one put it in the reply to my thread, I would like to remind you that almost all great achievers belonging to different fields consciously or unconsciously have made use of things that are not thier original invention. When a person is accepted as great by the majority such things are termed in a polished manner as 'influence' whereas a person with merits of his own who has not yet been accepted as great by the majority such a person is called a copycat or xerox machine. If we go by the yard stick of 100% originality very few would remain in the foray. Because genius is not the outcome of originality and but presenting a well-known thing in a new manner. In literature Shakespeare is a striking example of such definition. As for the number of songs I have mentioned it is only a case of certain examples where Deva's songs failed to get the attention they deserve because of elements extraneous to them. If possible I would like to mention almost all beautiful songs he has composed and have a lively discussion about them. Our MSV is the great beacon whose light guides these little ships(other unpopular music directors) on their perilous journey. My contention is why should one degrade someone just because he is not so popular as someone else is. Please ponder over these points before making any adverse comments. With love
VaidyMSV & Sriram Lax

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dear all

with due regards to all , i think , we should take everyone's viewpoint , whether we in agreement or not . ofcourse , i donot see any thing bad about our master ,in this article

if i am wrong , pls excuse me .

MSV is like HINDU RELIGON - which stands to all the turbulences ,time and still going steady .

but pls allow me to take this oppurtunity , to express my view on HYPEs

during the hype the media , gave , when IR came into the field in 1975, they literally , made him , a "deva thothan "
1) the one and only composer who made TFM lovers to turn back listen to Tamil film songs according to them , we murugans , subbans were litening to hindi songs .( what rubbish , all of us know ). but facts of the case is . even after 40 years ,only MSV tunes are still being heard , whether its tunes in 60 , 70 , 80 .
if we take a census on whose songs , telecasted/ broadcasteed more in a day , even taking into account IR - the honest answer would be MSVs songs . His tunes stands to all the competition .and everlasting .

another point in favour of IR , he was portaited as a person who brought gramathu music to TFM and made popular (another B---s---), i donot have to give any examples of MSVs grammathu athiyayam
the media , unmindful , of their ignorance about TFM , projected IR ,
but now , i quote , saruprabha's words (he has been an ardent IR fan )

அவர்கள் எந்தக் காரணத்தினால் இளையராஜாவை கொண்டாடினார்களோ அதே காரணத்தினால்தான் எனக்கு அவரைப் பிடிக்கவில்லை. குறிப்பாக பிராமணர்களுக்கு இளையராஜாவைப் பிடிக்கும். காரணம், அவர் கர்னாடக இசையை நாட்டுப்புற இசையுடன் கலந்து கர்னாடக இசையை பிரபலப்படுத்தினார். அதனால்தான் செம்மங்குடியின் அறையில் உள்ள ஒரே புகைப்படம் இளையராஜாவினுடையதாக இருந்தது. ஆனால் எனக்கு நாட்டுப்புற இசை நாட்டுப்புற இசையாக மட்டுமே இருக்க வேண்டும். அதாவது, ’ அன்னக்கிளி உன்னைத் தேடுதே ’ வெளிவந்து தமிழ்நாட்டையே ஒரு கலக்கு கலக்கிக் கொண்டிருந்த போது நான் இவ்வாறு குறிப்பிட்டேன்: “இவரைத்தான் இனிமேல் தமிழ் சினிமா கொண்டாடப் போகிறது; ஆனால் எனக்கு இந்த இசை பிடிக்கவில்லை. ” நாட்டுப்புற இசை என்றால் பருத்தி வீரன், சுப்ரமணியபுரம் போன்ற படங்களில் இடம் பெற்றதைப் போல் சுத்தமான நாட்டுப்புற இசையாக இருக்க வேண்டும். நகர்ப்புற ஒப்பனைகளால் அது அலங்கரிக்கப்பட்டிருக்கக் கூடாது. அதேதான் கர்னாடக இசைக்கும். ஏற்கனவே கர்னாடக இசை கெட்டியான இலக்கண காங்க்ரீட்டுகளால் உருவாக்கப்பட்டது. அதில் கொண்டு போய் நாட்டுப்புற இசையைக் கலந்தால் காப்பியில் சாராயத்தைக் கலந்தது போலத்தான் இருக்கும். 1985-இல், தில்லியிலிருந்து விடுமுறையில் தமிழ்நாட்டுக்கு வந்த நான், ‘ மரிமரி நின்னே’ என்ற தியாகராஜரின் அருமையான கீர்த்தனை ’ பாடறியேன் படிப்பறியேன் ’ என்ற கர்ண கடூர ரசாபாசமாக பட்டிதொட்டியெங்கும் ஒலிப்பதைக் கேட்டு மிரண்டு, விடுமுறையை ரத்து செய்து விட்டு தில்லிக்கே திரும்பி விட்டேன்.
இந்த இடத்தில் ஒரு முக்கியமான தகவலைப் பகிர்ந்து கொள்கிறேன். என்னுடைய தமிழ் சினிமாப்பாடல் சேமிப்பில் ஏ.ஆர். ரஹ்மானை விட இளையராஜாவின் பாடல்கள் அதிகம். இளையராஜாவை விட தேவாவின் பாடல்கள் (கானா பாடல்கள்) அதிகம். இதன் பொருள் இளையராஜாவை விட தேவா பெரிய கலைஞர் என்பதல்ல. தென்னிந்திய இசைக்கு இலக்கண வரையறைகள் அதிகம் என்பதால்தான் தில்லி 6 போன்ற இந்திப் படங்களில் உருவாக்கிய இசையை ரஹ்மானால் தமிழ்ப் படங்களுக்கு கொடுக்க முடியவில்லை.

By quoting this , i donot agree to all views of charu prabhas . but to stress the point , the same group , who projected IR , doesnot mind to bring him down

But MSV REMAIN WHERE HE WAS , BECAUSE LUCKILY HE WAS NOT PROJECTED , HE REACHED THE PEDESTAL HE IS HOLDINBG , BY HIS SHEER HARD WORK , AND TALENT
MSV IS A PHENOMENON , AND HIS WILL STAY THERE FOR EVER .

so letus welcome evry ones views , and accept the facts, because tamil film music annuals cannot be completed , with out providibg scores of pages to MSV , KD , however one tries

as long as tamil film music lives , these 2 will be heard

thank you for the time
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Tamil Film History, TFM Composers, Directors, Actors, Movies & Music (General Topics) All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: