"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Background humming by Mellisai Mannar

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Preludes, Interludes, Title Music, Re-recording, BGMs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:22 am    Post subject: Background humming by Mellisai Mannar Reply with quote

Friends!
We know of many songs where our MM has gracefully used his voice. More unique are the ones with him humming. This is a known facet of his singing prowess. There is another aspect that I wish to discuss: the role of his humming itself as a background score in movies. There could be many, and might have been discussed earlier. This is a striking form with enormous power in his voice. One that instantly comes to my memory is in the climax scenes in 'Ninaithaale Inikkum'. One can sense the expression of sorrow, aptly chosen in the screenplay in the form of MM's voice. Obviously, he (MM) conveys the meaning more than all the actors in the scene with his eloquence. Shubha pantuvaraali flowing from him as a pravaaham. I believe that this aspect was retained by Balachander when he shot Ek Duje Ke lIye with KJJ's voice in the background. (How was it in Maro Charithra?)

There could be many more such instances where our MM has lent his voice as a background score for the scenes (not for the songs). I wish to explore them here. Not having watched many movies (even earlier), very rarely do I get to know of such instances of MM's voice as a background score. Hence, the list is presently not extensive.

I wish to hear more about this from our friends in our forum and related experiences.

Thanks,
Sai Saravanan
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friends,
I was just remembering MM's usage of background humming in Anda Ezhu Naatkal in the climax scenes towards the end. But, of course, Jeyachandran is used for this humming by MM. Are there movies with this kind of humming for background filling by MM himself?
Sai Saravanan
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear friends,
Interesting pieces of information about our MM's humming during these songs or his usage during songs. I do not know if this feature has been discussed already in our forum.

I thought, what was probably not featuring here could be the humming during the movie scenes such as the ones that I have mentioned in the first two instances earlier (Ninathale inikkum, andha 7 naatkal, etc.). This, I always feel, has been a subtle new experiment. And, this grandly fits the movie and captures the mood so beautifully. If there are many more such instances, please excavate more...they are waiting to be revisited!
Sai Saravanan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Preludes, Interludes, Title Music, Re-recording, BGMs All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: