"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vaali's Speech at Cine Muscian's Golden Jubilee Function

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Tamil Film History, TFM Composers, Directors, Actors, Movies & Music (General Topics)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
N Y MURALI

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject: Vaali's Speech at Cine Muscian's Golden Jubilee Function Reply with quote

'Cinema music is insipid and spoilt'
Daniel Thimmayya
Express News Service
Last Updated : 09 Jan 2012 02:44:28 PM IST
Lyricist Vaali (Express Photo).CHENNAI: Hitting out at composers and lyricists working with the Tamil film industry at present, acclaimed poet and lyricist Vaali said that he found cinema music today insipid and “spoilt”. Speaking at a programme organised by the Cine Musicians Union to felicitate yesteryear composers M S Viswanathan and T K Ramamoorthy, Vaali said that after their era, there have been only “tune-makers and no real music composers”.
The composer-duo was bestowed Lifetime Achievement Awards by the CMU, on Sunday.
Acknowledging the fact that working with composers like AR Rahman, Harris Jeyaraj, Ilayaraja and even Thaman had kept him lyrically alive in the cinema industry, he rued the fact that his lyrics “had come to this (level)”.
He continued, “Sometimes, upset poets and friends ask me ‘What happened to your songs?’ and I have only one answer - For this writing I am paid lakhs of rupees!”
Emphasising how strong his conviction was, he said, “The reason why I am saying these things publicly is that people don’t say I am a has-been complaining in my backyard.” He then pointed out that he composed lyrics for the song 'Kalasala' in Simbhu-starrer 'Osthe', that released last month.
The lyricist who turned 80 last year was at his peak composing songs during the Viswanathan-Ramamoorthy era from the 60’s to the 80’s. As a parting request he asked that composers include more acoustic sections for the scores of musicians who were losing their livelihoods “to an advanced keyboard and equipment”.
Music directors Vidyasagar, SA Rajkumar, Dhina and singers P B Sreenivos and K J Jesudas and actor Y Gee Mahendra were present on the occasion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Tamil Film History, TFM Composers, Directors, Actors, Movies & Music (General Topics) All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: