"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Re-Recording in Sri Sivaji's "Gouravam"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Preludes, Interludes, Title Music, Re-recording, BGMs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
msvramki

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Srikumar.
GAURAVAM is my all time favourite w.r.t every aspect viz.. Story, Diaglogue, Acting, SONGS AND RERECORDING !
Ramki
Venugopalan Soundararajan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re-Recording of Gowravam. Reply with quote

Dear M/s Srikumar, Ramki & Ram,

Yes, Gowravam is one of the best of both MSV & Sivaji. Normally, they refer to the term "frame by frame" for acting, photography, direction, etc. But, we can say in Gowravam the Music was outstanding "frame by frame", right from the title music. I must have seen this movie at least 20 times, each time for MSV's music and about 10 times for Sivaji's acting. What a masterpiece!!

The best score perhaps was the superb violin piece at the end of "Neeyum Naanuma" when the elder Sivaji shouts "No" and pushes the coins on the chess board. The same piece is repeated again when the elder Sivaji comes down the stair case ready to leave for the Court, when a Cat goes across and he utters "chee, chee, chee enna Poonai kurukka poradhu. Oh, enna naan kooda sahunam paakka aarambichutena".

Also, how can we forget that marvelous Guitar piece accompanied by the lovely humming when Jaikumari is taking bath and Major is waiting for her, looking at the Fish Tank.

Gowravam was a big Diamond in the glowing Crowns of both MSV and Sivaji.

Regards,

Venu Soundar
N Y MURALI

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Srikumar and Friends,
I watched this movie again in my computer only to understand te rerecording. I am astonished to find out how contrast view have been expressed by MM in music to make the difference between two characters. This is especially in their introduction scene. The other imposrtant scene is at the end when Sivaji and Pandari Bai the day prior the court case scene.

He has maintained the same theme in the songs as well. The interlude before the 3rd charanam(Chess board) of the song 'Neeyum Nanuma' is unbeliable. He has used the trumpet/sax combination for the Sr Sivaji and Flute and Sitar for the Jr. How beautiful is the flute piece in all the inteludes in the song 'Yamuna Nadhi Inge'

Reg,

N Y MURALI
ragasuda

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 7:20 am    Post subject: Gauravam BGM Reply with quote

Before the climax, Barrister would explain his success pointing out to each file and would say each file is a stepping stone of success, giving gap between each and every file for the MD to bring out his part. Such was the dedication of NT and involvement which was well coordinated with the MD. And MSV made the best use of it and this scene is a classic example. Listen to each and every step of music in this scene.
You will be proud to be a fan of MSV
Raghavendran
http://msvquiz.blogspot.com/
http://oldtamilfilmsongs.blogspot.com/
http://oldtamilfilms.blogspot.com/
http://mellisaititle.blogspot.com
Venugopalan Soundararajan

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If only "Gowravam" was nominated for the Oscars at that time, it would have grabbed at least half a dozen including one each for the BGM Score, Songs, Acting, Dialogue, Direction & Photography.

Regards,
Venu Soundar
tvvraghavan

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every bit and reel of Gauravam has to be felt and experienced. What a movie it is !!

The re-recording is phenomenal and is way beyond any comparison.

I could immediately remember the back ground for the scene when Rajinikanth would be writing on a paper (probably taking notes for the second case against Mohandas) when the ink gets over. He calls " Yenda Kanna, ithula ink poda pudaathu?" and he remembers that Kanna was not at home any more. Our Master uses the veena and flute to play the "Paalooti Valartha Kili" tune at the background when he realises this fact which would showcase Rajanikanth as a very beloved father lamenting and missing his foster son. Then he would get up and see an old picture reminiscing the past and immediately gets stuck between his "dual personality" of love and prestige and shouts "KANNAAA..." then goes the song "Neeyum Naanuma..Kanna" . It is interesting to note that the tune of "Paalooti Valartha Kili" is played only after the song is picturised in the movie. I also happen to hear once that this song was first sung by our Master himself, but had to change it upon the chief protagonist's persuasion.

We can talk in pages about the rerecording, songs, acting, photography, comedy tracks. In my humble opinion, GAURAVAM was one of its kind then without any dramatic ending or coincidental climax as it used to be in the other movies !!! so to say, it was a COMPLETE movie without any lapses, very neatly written and executed which was very well ahead of its times !!

Great Team !!

Vietnam Veedu Sundaram, MSV, Kannadasan, Nadigar Thilagam, Nagesh. Neelu, Major !!!

Thanks for the opportunity !!

MSV Rules !!!
Venkat
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friends,
In today's Endrum MSV, our master revealed that during the rerecording sessions of this movie, he disagreed with the movie team for retaining his voice for the song 'Paalooti valartha kili' in the movie. He mentioned that due to the nonavailability of TMS, it was decided to use his own voice until TMS returned from some tour. But, people, including Sivaji himself, insisted that MM's voice was to be retained. In fact, MM mentioned that Sivaji had completed acting for MM's voice and not for TMS's! We should watch the song once again to understand and cherish this!
Sai Saravanan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Preludes, Interludes, Title Music, Re-recording, BGMs All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: