"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

About an Article Written by Jeyamohan about music
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Articles & Writings by Fans!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
V Sivasankaran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear All,

It was painfull reading, as it contained utter lies. Sweeping remarks were made about other Music directors too. Since many in the forum feel, not to give importnace to a sundry, we will treat this matter closed. We shall spend all our energy to spread the greatness of our Masters work.
parthavi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mention of Jayamohan's name will instantly evoke some antagonism and bitterness in the literary circles. Jayamohan has a reputation for revelling in controversies and talking disparagingly about his fellow writers and other personalities. Now he has turned his attention to film music. Admiiting lack of knowledge in a subject and then making expert comments on the same subject requires some temerity.

Since a lot has been said on this subject, I will add only a couple of points.

Many years back, in a program in Doordharshan, a scene from the film Mudhal Mariyaadhai was shown first with no background music and then with background music. The scene was a young loving couple running towards a river. The photographic effect was also good with the shot beginning in a long shot and the camera moving closer and closer to the actors. The presenter of this program sought to demonstrate the power of rerecording. We all know who the MD of this film was. I must admit that I myself was impressed when I watched this.

The point here is that this demo could have been done with any scene from any film. Even a mediocre rerecording will add value to a scene. But this realization came to me much later. The effect was created when the scene was shown. This is the power of promotion. Promotion and PR have contributed a lot to IR's success. Even now, when IR's popularity is waning and his music for current films coming a cropper as proved in the 'Pa' series (Paa, Pazasi Raja etc.), attempts are being made to prop him up. We would not even have taken note of them but for some clumsy attempts at running down his illustrious predecessors. It is well known that admirers of MSV make no attempt to speak lightly of KVM or GR. On the other hand, we have registered our appreciation for them. The fact that one has to pull down others to promote someone shows the weakness of the person being promoted.

Our moderator Ram had once mentioned about watching an English film (made in the present decade) in which the music used was almost the same used by MSV in Nenjam Marappathillai for the scene in which Nambiar surfaces unexpectedly, for a similar situation. I tried to search for this post but couldn't find it. Ram or someone else may give the link for this.

In the Naiyaandi Dharbaar program telecast in Vijay TV many years before, Yuhi Sethu narrated a scene from a Czechoslovakian film and asked MSV to compose a song for that. Our Master delivered a tune within seconds. Yuhi sang the Czech song and expressed surprise that there was a similarity between the two.

These two examples will go to show that both MSV's music and rerecording have a universal quality. We don't need endorsements from the likes of Jayamohan.
N Y MURALI

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mr. Parthavi,

The article which Ram wrote is in the main page in the articles section. Unfortunately with google chrome or firefox we cannot open and read. It can be read only with internet explorer.

In fact I surfed in google about msv articles and msv sites. It gives many links to our site. But as mentioned earlier nobody can read these articles. So all our efforts of writing many articles have become waste

Also in the google surfing the forum writings are not appearing in the link which also has to be corrected so that many could read these articles.

N Y Murali
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Parthavi Sir,

You had referred to the impact of rerecording of MM . Yes, I too had watched it. Bharathi raja explaining on how BGM had lifted his movies.

I recollect another incident now on Aval oru thodar kathai and the climax. A reformed Jai Ganesh,trying his best to do good for the family but unfortunately gets killed at a level crossing when a train runs over him...

KB explained this scene in a programme and first showed ABSOLUTE SILENCE . Even the sound of the train running over the tracks was kept at zero level... then the same scene was repeated with BGM and this time, MSV uses just the sound of train crossing over and it made a remarkable impact !!

It was really awesome !
parthavi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Murali,
I opened Ram's article in Internet Explorer, copied the link and pasted in Google Chrome. It opened there. I am giving the link below. I think it will work.

http://www.msvtimes.com/fanclub/ram.html

In case this works, we can create a post with links of all articles in a separate thread so that anyone can have access to it any time.

I am also giving below the particular excerpts which I had referred to.

".....We went to the recent English film called “Snakes in the Plane.” In the movie, there will be a scene where a snake will suddenly come out in a flight and for that scene there will be a special “chord” given as the background music. To my shock and surprise, it was the same chord which MSV has used in “Nenjam Marappathillai” when Sridhar will show “100 year old Nambiar” suddenly in a scene. MSV has already used all these in 60s!!! I was stunned........"
N Y MURALI

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Parthavi,
Thanks for the link you have provided about Ram's article about MSV's music. Though I read the article earlier many times, your link has provided an opportunity to read it again. I just finished reading once and have to do read it again and again. The article still seems to be fresh every time you read like MSV's songs which gives freshness everytime you hear.

It is indeed very sad that people like Ram, Madam Sarada and others who wrote many thought provoking articles have decided to put themselves in to shell for reason unknown.

But the real losers are the people like me.

Using this post as an opportunity I request them to start again contributing articles like this for the benefit of understanding MSV better.

As Vaidy said earlier many internet blogs gets slow death after 4 to 5 years and requested that we have to make msvtimes an exception to this.

I am willing to contribute whatever it takes in this service.

N Y Murali
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Articles & Writings by Fans! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: