"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

manikka theril margatha

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Preludes, Interludes, Title Music, Re-recording, BGMs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
V Sivasankaran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: manikka theril margatha Reply with quote

Shri Msv as a Music Director was complete. With MKT fading, new set of actors like shivaji, Gemini and Mgr have emerged. This was a god sent opportunity to any Music Director. Kvm missed the great opportunity.

KVM's unwillingness to expreiment gave a great opportunity for another MD to emerge. Shri MSV grabbed it with two hands to rule the industry for 3 decades and conquer the mind and soul of rasigas for ever.

Pathbreaking work of Shri MSV, set a new & irreversible trend. Bold and innovative, Shri Msv worked beyond raga framework and still earned the apprecation of pundits. Lalgudi, BMK and Mahargajapuram have great reagrds for his work.

Another aspect of MSV'S commendabe work is on the orchesteration side. He made great strides in this area and i have always felt that his contribution in this segment went unnoticed. May be it was too much to fathom.

Manikka Theril from thedi vantha mappalai is one more song where Msv has offered grand orchesteration. Guitar, Santoor, Voilin, Haunting flute, Trumphet and sarangi were all used. His ability to use all of them in the right proportion, enhances the beauty of the song.

Many rasikas have always equated Melody with Msv. There has to be untiring effort from our end to expose the great work of Shri Msv on orchesteration side.

V Sivasankaran
madhuraman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:24 am    Post subject: Preludes... Reply with quote

Dear Mr.Sivasankaran,
While I recognize your admiration for MSV, in your recent posting, you have somewhat made it appear that MSV grabbed the opportunity to exhibit his class and that KVM was not ready to experiment. It was never so simple as you have attempted to suggest. To understand the intricacies , a number of facts including the concept of 'company culture' in movie making needs to be highlighted. i.e., all movie makers had a company each, where all technicians, MDs, Cinematographers, Art Directors, Make-up crew were employees and had to work for them only. Path breaking efforts needed that the MD had a towering position from where alone experiments could be attempted at all. That way, G.Ramanathan was a pioneer and he opened the vistas with Raga-based tunes and a different orchestral arrangement replacing the voice-violin- mridangam combination with more additions. As I had expressed GR's stature was so high that 'company commanders' could not interfere with his working styles. It is not my intention to 'silence' the supreme talent of MSV. But, I see a lot of Divine blessing in the form of Eachappan, Vasu Menon, SMS, CR subburaman and a few others especially Kannadasan who spotted the goldmine in MSV and had the honesty to help him at the right moment. Indeed MSV cherishes his association with all his predecessors GR, SV Venkataraman, SMS, CRS, TR Pappa as 'great men' in their own way including their profile as composers. May be some detailed recalling of MSV's personal adherence to principle and humility even on the face of abundant calibre and talent would show how precisely MSV made the industry turn to him around 1954-55. It would be a good lesson for all to emulate. Also, any talent requires the Divine blessing by opening up the port and providing a circle of friends capable of discerning talent.
Please do not misconstrue that I attempt to rob MSV of his genuine pride.
It would be the greatest disservice to MSV. More can be said of the conditions from where MSV hit the horizon and stays shining.
Warm regards K.Raman Madurai.
V Sivasankaran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Prof,

I had the opportunity to discuss with some of our forum friends about my love and regards for G.Ramanathaiyer work. No doubt he was bold and experimental. Iam of the firm view that Kvm was far away from being bold and experimental.

My Admiration for MSV is based on the variety he offered and the magnitude of work.

V Sivasankaran
madhuraman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:06 am    Post subject: Preludes and interludes Reply with quote

Dear Mr. Sivasankaran,
I just have no iota of doubt of your understanding of MSV. Yes, MSV was bold and 'meaningfully innovative'. Some of the later arrivals who indulged in disharmonious assemblages of orchestral pieces managed to corner glories rather out of turn. Also, some such later ones used all clandestine strategies to stay in place. To me KVM was conscious of his skills [therefore also of his limits and limitations] and had the work assembled for a specific type of movie or two. But, as you say when it came to 'new looks', he was far from it because if he were to attempt such, he would have had the uphill prospect of competing with MSV. He must certainly have taken stock of the then prospects in music from MSV before attempting a semblance of experiment.
After all it was KVM, who helped the then penny-less MSV to reach greener pastures. So, exhaustive imagination and dexterity of assembling orchestral sequences and bringing together their harmony were not/ have not been any body's cup of tea [except MSV]. Still KVM stayed respectable by not indulging in stupidity. This stands to the credit of KVM.
Thanks for the opportunity. I do not mean to disrespect any one or any sentiment.
Warm regards K.Raman Maduraoi.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Preludes, Interludes, Title Music, Re-recording, BGMs All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: