"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'Manidhan enbavan DheivamAgalAm'-IV

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Lyrics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madhuraman

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 5:47 am    Post subject: 'Manidhan enbavan DheivamAgalAm'-IV Reply with quote

Dear Friends,
The song under consideration is a treasure trove holding enough and more for the discerning. Hitherto we have seen how the lyricist has identified the value of mind in sacrificial mode unlike the common response -violence as a form of valour, wrongly depicted to say the least.

Of necessity we are obliged to consider the 'portrayal' as the best tool of conveying a message. That Gemini Ganesan did it with aplomb is a matter of history now. A personality known for gleeful exuberance of romance staying within the limits of decency [typical of Gemini Ganesan], has been handed down a theme where he has to abruptly give-up his forte as a fitting recourse to peer pressure in the family; it worked wonders as a novel approach in movie-depiction of character.

What stands out as a 'copy right' of sorts in this song; in an era punctuated by laborious dialogue and melodrama , the way the acting was done in a sedate and peaceful withdrawal from emotive sobbing or shouting made it clear that acting need not be by mega magnification of face on screen showing the vibration of bristles to reveal 'disturbance'.

It really created an impact of sympathy and sorrow through the physical frame of the individual cine-goers. So to say, the audience were hijacked to accept the new style of portrayal without a murmur; this is a spot for keen competition between the movie director [ CV Sridhar]and actor Gemini Ganesan. Probably both won and neither of them lost.

A perfect treatment to deserve the accolade 'manidhan enbavan DheivamAgalAm' where the Director and actor have sacrificed [without dominating] in the larger interest of presentation of the idea than of themselves.
Undoubtedly the effort of all the constituents have been meaningfully picturised using brain more as a tool than mere gadgets for night effect. It was a true 'night shot' along the sands of Marina which symbolizes the vast expanse of Nature where man is just a miniscule; such a setting elevates the mood for ego blasting and favours trends of accommodative sacrifice.

Kudos to Vincent- Sundaram who have always been the masters on all occasions of aesthetic presentation of moods.
They too have shown that 'manidhan enbavan DheivamAgalAm'

Wait for some more on this song.

Warm regards K.Raman Madurai.
V Sivasankaran

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Professor,

Iam very happy that you have brought up the name of eminent director CV SRIDHAR. Known for subtle portrayal, Cvs to me was the first director to realise the complete potential of visual medium.

CVS started his career with Tks drama troupe and went to become the most accomplished director. I understand his acquiatance with Modern theatre sundaram gave him insights of global cinema. Vast book collection at Modern theatre was of immense value to CVS.

His very first movie Kalyana parisu set standards for Triangle love. He handled all subjects with impunity and it needs to be mentioned that he handled re-incarnation subject with great ease.

CVS popularity reached commanding heights for effective portrayal of Nenjam Marapathillai. The movie had a grip on the audience from the first to last scene. RE- Recording of Shri MSV added great value to this movie.

Hall mark of Cvs movie making was moderation. With confidence i can say that exaggeration was absent. In the History of Indian Cinema CVS Name will figure prominently.

V Sivasankaran
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently, Kavignar himself had volunteered to provide his fleet of Cars to enlighten the environment !! So, the song was partly picturised by using the Car headlights !

Looking back at the song..........most of the great names behind the creation of the song like Sridhar, Kannadasan, PBS, TKR, Gemini G , P.N.Sundaram .....have left us

But the song lives in our hearts Smile forever !
madhuraman

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 5:46 am    Post subject: 'Manidhan enbavan DheivamAgalAm'-my response Reply with quote

Dear Mr. Sivasankaran and Balaji,
My respectful thanks to you both for choosing to respond, however insignificant my observation on 'manidhan enbavan dheivmAgalAm' may have been. Had it not been for yours and that of Mr.Sai Saravananan, I would certainly have felt that my decision to write was thoroughly ill-conceived. Perhaps, it is ill-conceived now, even if not thoroughly so. Ironically even the few who wanted me to break silence had just stayed off; obviously the pieces did not merit even a semblance of response.

Certainly I am not disturbed. After all, if the fate of the legends that we recall here has just been what it is, it is futile to expect contributory participation. That is just by the way.

Coming to the observations that have emerged: CVS was not a part of TKS brothers' drama troupe. In fact, when they wanted their drama to be brought to screen[ 'Raththa pAsam'], they were looking for a writer who would develop the screen play and dialogue to suit screen. By then CVS was emerging on the horizon as a new wave presenter of stories. When he brought out the R P script for approval, TKS was nearly convinced that CVS was using some hidden source to pen stories and dialogue. Verification of CVS' calibre like that of any other talent was done in a crude way. Suggesting a scene, TKS ordered CVS to make a screen play and dialogue in a specified time-limit and CVS was locked in a room to dispel the possibility of Sridhar getting the work done by someone else. In half the prescribed time CVS gave more than what was wanted and firmly established his credentials as those of an original thinker/ planner.
His[CVS's] turning a Director was another instance of Divine blessing. He was a partner with Venus pictures whose 'aasthAna' Director was Mr.
TS Prakash Rao. When project 'KalyANa parisu' was waiting to be filmed TS P Rao took ill and for weeks he could not recover. The movie-makers sensed that the movie would a blockbuster and felt the need to urgently put it through. Without hesitation they advised CVS to Direct the movie which turned out to be a turning point to TF and to CVS himself.

Also, the whole troupe of technicians VINCENT- SUNDARAM, GANGA, NM SHANKAR., stills Arunachalam were all drawn out from Venus by SRIDHAR .In many a Venus movie of pre CVS as Director, we can see these members in the movie-making crew.
Incidentally, until Mr. Balaji's posting I have not heard of PNSundaram's exit to ethereal state. Even now I am not sure if it is true.
Warm regards K.Raman Madurai
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prof Sir,

Yes P.N.Sundaram also had passed away. My Father and PNS were childhood friends and maintained the same relationship forever .

http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2010-03-23/chennai/28124851_1_residence-veteran-cinematographer-schedules

Whenever he vists our house , he used to narrate many interesting old incidents. He was very happy with the association of Mr.Vincent and the entire Chitralaya team .

You may also recollect some portion which I had covered while writing about Sumai thangi movie on the cinematography aspect .

Great men we had those times Crying or Very sad
V Sivasankaran

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Professor,

Your narration about CVS coming out with flying colours for a specfic scene given by TKS was intersting. Chitralaya Gopu is another prominent member of CVS team.

CVS was never dependent on icons for the sucess of his films. I am yet to see Kalai kovil and iam looking forward to see it. Time permitting please do state the reasons for Kalai kovil failure in the box office.

V Sivasankaran
madhuraman

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:18 am    Post subject: Your inquisitive seeking Reply with quote

Dear Mr. Sivasankaran,
Having had some good access to P N SUNDARAM, you seem to have gathered some information on Chitralaya in general and CVS in particular. This is what I infer from some of your postings past and present. Well, you are right in your observation that CVS was not after icons. But, he was very strict in assembling his technical crew. In fact technicians like N.Balakrishnan, U.Rajagopal and BS Lokanathan had been a part of CVS's crew after Vincent -Sundaram left Chitralaya in pursuit of independent opportunities ,and these later ones too and all of them succeeded to a large extent.
For very many years CVS sustained his independence until the early 80's where upon a new culture emerged in the TF industry in the name of Distributors.

They started insisting on star cast, lavish settings, overseas locales and above all specific Music Director and so on. The trend has eaten the very rights of producers who have all systematically failed to uphold their rights as investors. So to say 'digging one's own grave' aptly fits the producers.

Things have become so much draconian that well known movie-makers deem it fit not to make movies which is the surest way to 'burn fingers' , though the burn extends to elbow , not merely the fingers. Therefore, the then CVS got dissolved in the whirlpool of commercialdom- merely because he too had obliged some distributors by the so called star- value demands. Well, these are my personal understanding of situations in TF industry over a period of time.
Coming to 'kalai kovil', and its inability to take off, the biggest reason could just be fate.

The arrival of that movie soon after the block buster -''kAdhalikka nEramillai'' made such a serious difference due to the following:

Colour to B&W, Comedy to tragedy; from a new style western orchestration to a classical musical assemblage based on Veena and the story line was ahead by decades; for, a later movie of the near same theme made a box office bonanza. A couple of years ago CV Rajendran said if 'kalaikoil' had been made after 40 years it would certainly have made an impact.

'Surgery successful, but patient died' is the best fitting explanation to kalakoil.

Hope I have made the situation clear if not vivid.

madhuraman

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:12 am    Post subject: PN Sundaram Reply with quote

[quote="S.Balaji"]Prof Sir,

Yes P.N.Sundaram also had passed away. My Father and PNS were childhood friends and maintained the same relationship forever .

http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2010-03-23/chennai/28124851_1_residence-veteran-cinematographer-schedules

Whenever he vists our house , he used to narrate many interesting old incidents. He was very happy with the association of Mr.Vincent and the entire Chitralaya team .

You may also recollect some portion which I had covered while writing about Sumai thangi movie on the cinematography aspect .

Great men we had those times Crying or Very sad[/quote]

Dear Mr. Balaji,
Despite my deep respect for Mr.PN Sundaram, for 3 years I have been ignorant of his demise. With your assertive confirmation, when I browsed the links, I found precious little of information on the great PNS.

Actually the movie names indicated in those write-ups [save of course kAdhalikka nEramillai] do not convey the riches of PNS the cinematographer. Substantial references to his works are missing in the sense that Mr. PNS in the company of A Vincent had revolutionized the concept of cinematography.

My statement can be perceived right, if only we remind ourselves of the limitations of the then movie cameras, slow-speed film emulsions, constraints in lighting and above all matching the lights for merger sequences and so on. Visualizing the Director's interpretation is no mean task.
If some of our members are interested to know about the value of Vincent -Sundaram, I can draw attention to specific instances to highlight the great contribution of Vincent -Sundaram to the domain of Cinematography. I am in no hurry, though I am sad that the glories of the glorious are silently buried by the very industry that survived on such skillful technicians as Shri PNS. Expecting some response I remain

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Lyrics All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: