"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My Music Man MSV - By Vaidy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Articles & Writings by Fans!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ram

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: My Music Man MSV - By Vaidy Reply with quote

MY MUSIC MAN MSV (PART-1)
By Vaidy

An obsessive listener of this Master Creator from my childhood days, even today I’m astonished by the fact that I have a vivid memory of every song that he created and composed four decades ago. Isn’t it amazing that we still remember every nuances of his song. Be it, the Preludes, Interludes, or the Instruments that have cast a magical effect and left us wonder struck. The reason being, none other than him the Great MSV who has been a unique creator and has a class in himself that is absolutely unique only to him. His songs were complete in every way - The coherence of Voice, Music & Lyrics all fell in its place. His re-recordings went a step further and on many occasions stood better than the story/screenplay itself! This is evident in many movies, wherein the RR bits have created a sort of a fan following!

MSV, though not an adept in Raagas, but handled them unassumingly in his own way at unimaginable levels beyond the Raaga which he even started the song with. You need to hear it extensively to believe it. The song Malligai En Mannan Mayangum ((Dheerga Sumangali) was a puzzle to the Violin Maestro Lalgudi G. Jayaraman as to what Raaga the song was based on (until today no one has a clue on it either). World renowned music critic Subbudu once hailed MSV as a person who could have been “knighted” had he been born in England.

Need to be mentioned here is his rare quality and the ability to fuse rare combinations of musical instruments with absolute ease - Western Instruments with South Indian Percussion instruments. Piano - Mridangam (Paaduvor Paadinal Aaada Thondrum), Saxophone, Drums, Bongos with another South Indian Percussion instrument Thavil (Athisaya Ulagam - Gauravam) and many more. My pick would be a song with one of the greatest preludes & interludes “Silar Kudipathu Pola Nadippar” an MGR starrer. Listen to these tracks and you will know how this genius of a person creates a fusion with the instruments in an absolute seamless welding! On Listening to the song “Oru Raja Raaniyidam” (Sivantha Mann) - without any valid travel document he would take you on a fantasy world wide trip - totally free!!! Remember, he had accomplished all these 4-5 decades ago, probably without any personal thought to himself that these songs would rule the World of Film Music even after so many years! There used to be days when “Then Kinnam” broadcast on All India Radio (AIR) literally thrived / survived because of MSV’s music!

MSV’s music hence, deserves to be termed as “Time Music” for, they withstood the times irrespective of the changes, the World of Music has gone through / going through. These are only the tip of an ice berg to illustrate and if we were to elaborate those in detail then, one would drown in this site literally! I wish to add here that MSV achieved all these at a time when technology was primitive - no multi track systems, no computers in place but “engineers” with “sound” knowledge & experience made all the difference. MSV always fondly recalls that he is blessed with a great team and that “Team Work” only mattered. When I was with him for many of his recent recordings, MSV has told me on many occasions that those days the song recordings were done with 2 or 3 mikes - for example “Varavu Ettana, Selavu Pathana” (Bama Vijayam) was done just with 3 mikes split between instrument players, singers & chorus singers - yet ensuring total continuity and quality. One could very well imagine the magnitude of his work if only there were equipments of present days, then! Incredible right?

I was so influenced by all these tunes and hence, the idea took shape to classify “My Music Man MSV” under My Guitar Man MSV, My Drums Man MSV, My Shehnai Man MSV, My Brass Man MSV and many more… Do get to listen to the songs from these selections and I bet that you will get enlightened thoroughly as to how each instrument played its part through the song ensuring total melody and quality. MSV’s capability to ensure melody with his formidable orchestration to unleash quality music for decades remain absolutely unchallenged even today. MSV’s music need to be heard, understood and appreciated in detail for which, I believe that there is no necessity to have a sound knowledge in Raagas. His music is a language by itself and needs to be self learnt by mere listening . This is a fact which may not be acceptable to many but to me personally, nobody influenced me like MSV!

I have tried my best to listen to other composers also, but I reiterate that I never found any solace elsewhere! I’m sure that after listening to these sections, most of you would agree with me that MSV is The Master of Masters! Unparalleled, Undisputed, Unchallenged -He remains just as humble as ever!!!

ETERNAL MUSIC? THY WORD IS MSV!
Ram

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re-collecting some old and very interesting threads, for the benefit of those who may have missed this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Articles & Writings by Fans! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: