"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SONG 'ENGAL KALYANAM' IN A MUSIC SCHOOL SYLLABUS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Articles & Writings by Fans!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
N Y MURALI

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject: SONG 'ENGAL KALYANAM' IN A MUSIC SCHOOL SYLLABUS Reply with quote

Dear Friends,
You all may be aware that the song composed by MSV 'engal kalyanam galatta kalyanam' was listed as a song for light music category for hearing in Harward University music school.

I now understand that there are other music school as well have picked this unique song for the syllabus in light music category. This school seems to be University of Torronto, Faculty of music by Professor Kippen.

I am reproducing a discussion in Youtube, I had with one of the student who studied in that music school .

Quote:
Reply ·

ndbass091 year ago

If anybody is wondering, this song dates back to 1969. It's pretty catchy, no?

Quote:
Matthew Howell8 months ago

World Music MSCD 2004...but sadly, I can't remember my professor's name off the top of my head. I've been trying to find a video clip for YEARS to see what the film looked like. So glad to finally have a visual to go with the music.
Reply ·

muraliny1 week ago (edited)

Dear Sir, I am not able to understand what you mean by the above. Can you elaborate on this. Actually this is a song from a Tamil Film 'Galatta Kalyanam' which was released in the year 1968 and it was composed by Mr. M S Viswanathan. I am a great fan of his music. I found once in the internet that this song was kept in the syllabus for hearing in the Light music category in Harward University music school. Hence my interest to know more about from you. 
Read more
Reply ·

Matthew Howell1 week ago (edited)

+muraliny Hello - I took a world music course in college for which I had to purchase a set of CDs that had samples of different types of music from around the world. This particular song was one of those on the CD set, and I really enjoyed it. I knew it was from a movie, so it was nice to finally have the chance to see the film clip that the music accompanied.
Reply ·

Quote:
Reply ·

vincevega08 months ago

Worlds of Music UofT Prof Kippen
Reply ·

Quote:
K Jones11 months ago

This is wonderful! Thanks you!
vaidymsv

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:53 am    Post subject: GLOBE TROTTER!!! Reply with quote

Hi Murali,

Fantastic piece of information. Though I possess the documentary evidence for Galatta Kalyanam title music inclusion in the Harvard University syllabus, your interaction with Mathew Howell has surely thrown more light into this. Isn't a rarest of rare previleges for a musician (who has not even formally trained in Western music, but went onto conquer the World of Music with his sheer creativity) to be given this honour?? Great to know that the hiddeen treasures are being unearthed...sadly by a foreigner!!!

MSV's music in all his films right from the Title till Subham itself will show the varities of music & instruments he has handled for decades with not even a shade of similarity in them....truly a Creator of a class indeed.....

CHEERS
MSV
IS MUSIC!!!

VAIDYMSV

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Articles & Writings by Fans! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: