"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"ponnezhil poothtthadhu pudhu vAnil"- a harmony

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Articles & Writings by Fans!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madhuraman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:32 am    Post subject: "ponnezhil poothtthadhu pudhu vAnil"- a harmony Reply with quote

Dear Friends
The song "ponnezhil pooththadhu pudhu vAnil" from the movie 'kalangarai viLakkom' is an extremely sophisticated piece in terms of composition from every measure -be it lyric or its classic words or its elegance in tune and orchestration.

Well it is an obvious MSV number by its sheer undulations of tune. Still, it has several niceties considering its time of arrival ; yes it was the much talked about event in TF dom post segregation of MSV and TKR -the formidable duo. Also, it was the time when MSV was in a tentative phase of seeming eclipse in the sense that movies of his scores were still in the making and people had to wait a while before MSV proved himself beyond shadows of doubt. Though the movie 'nee' had hit the screens showing MSV all over, the explicable expectancy for 'kalangarai viLakkom' had its roots in the star cast of MGR -Saroja Devi a time-tested combination.
Came this movie and MSV started his VISWAROOPAM to different dimensions in ever so many movies in colur or B&W and never looked back - nor his fans. Thus, 'kalangarai viLakkom' proved so for movie fans of MGR and MSV simultaneously [ forgetting the harbinger 'nee' for MSV'].
There has been a variety in the songs of 'k viLakkom' ; still this piece 'ponnezhil pooththadhu' has a mesmeric effect by its smooth harmony all over and every inch MSV is visible through this number with MSV stamp by the glorious -caressing percussion beats and blending of all orchestral elements. Friends, please come out with your perceptions before I try to say a little more on this item.

Warm regards K.Raman Madurai
parthavi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prof,
An extraordinary song in several dimensions. The saranam has long lines but MSV has made them come alive so beautifully in his own style. I was stunned by its melody when I first heard it. As you have observed, this song was the clinching evidence to show who among the duo had superior talents.

While doing my pre-university, I was discussing the reason for the greater popularity of Hindi songs with a friend. He said Hindi words were soft and more amenable for tuning. I mentioned this song to counter his point. What melufluous lines. Even if you just read the lines, they will pleasing to the ears. The poet has used a lot of 'mellinams' in this song.

The lyrics have been credited to PA. But I, like many others (including Vaamanan, the film music buff who wrote a biography of MSV) , believe that Kavignar had gifted the title to his assistant. In Endrum MSV, MSV said that the song was written by PA but the titles credited it to Kavignar. But the titles credited this to PA not to Kavignar. Apparently, MSV remembered that the song was not written by the person whose name was shown in the titles but the facts were mixed up in his memory. I took his statement as a confirmation, in an indirect way, that the lyrics were the handiwork of Kavignar, though it would have been PA's hand that wrote them, as was the case with most other songs of Kavignar!
msvramki

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Professor,

Nice that you could bring out on the extraordinary creation of MSV, "Ponnezhil poothathu puthuvaanil ". Good add-on by Parthavi.

This has been a mesmerising piece for me from my college days, from the time I heard it for the first time.

This is one of the haunting numbers of MSV which will refuse to go out of your mind for a long time, if you hear it once.

In fact when I listen to the song, I use to go to the back ground and enjoy the Harmonium which runs throughout the song ! - imagining the devine fingers of the genius which would have been playing !!!!

Also in the last stanza, when the Pallavi is sung for the last time,
as UN MALAR THOTTATHU VANNA PARAVAI, VANDATHU ENGE SOL SOL SOL', a beat of guitar that follows would be amazing. Then comes the final humming. In fact I use(d) to increase the volume when the guitar is about to come, ALWAYS, to enjoy its beauty.

I have been wanting to tell our friends like Murali, Vatsan to write on beatuy of the song w.r.t melody, raga and emotions that it brings. Pls..

Thanks
Ramki
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sirs,
Another excellent song to cherish!
The ending portions of the lines (or is it each line?!) sung by PS have been beautified by exquisite gamakas/turnings, conceptualised in a mind-boggling way by our Master! Her part is more 'visible' compared to those of TMS, who renders those gamakas in his inimitable, manly style, almost giving a stylish flourish in a different manner each time!
The beats (tabla) progression is more of 'Prasad' type, beautifully added by the tumba/congo part that blends with brilliant (yet controlled) bass each time the taala ends....(Person playing could be the senior may not be Prasad, but the style is visible)
We can rewind the song as many times as we like in our minds, every time you hear a sound reminiscent of this melody! The song still is playing in our hearts, as fresh as ever!
Thanks,
Sai
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Articles & Writings by Fans! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: