"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MSV and the musical instruments

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Articles & Writings by Fans!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raghavan vasudevan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:48 pm    Post subject: MSV and the musical instruments Reply with quote

MSV has used most of the music intruments be it Western or Indian in his
compositions. But accordian he has used less. Why. It is a lovely instrument the one that gives a pep . Shankar Jaikishan without accordian is unthinkable, so too SD Burman without Saxophone, or Lakshmikanth Pyerelal without Flute, OP Nayar without Guitar or clarinet. By the way which instrument MSV has used sparilngly. May be flute in my opinion
Any alternate answer.

The experts in our MSV website forum who knows more about music
intruments may ponder over and clarify or comment. Apart from Enga Mama,Dieva Magan, Raja I do not recollect other films where MSV has put to use Accordian.

Even in yesterday's 9th Anniversay programme many rare songs were sung and many instuments were played and again Accordian
was missing.
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MM uses any particular sound (or the instrument to generate that effect or mood) only to suit the scene or need of any situation; the instrument probably would never figure for the sake of itself. The situation has always demanded the need. Therefore, he was not only a pioneer to use each and every known original musical instrument, he almost nearly introduced such sounds or its effects, in most of the case of such instruments. He never advertised it. We, as his devotees, would invariably keep listening to the song, its singers, its lyrics, its actors, the scene, the situation, and the music created the mood for all us,....but, the instruments, per se, would be in the background, ALWAYS! They would become 'visible' once we deeply concentrate on the song, for the sake of the sounds. Till such time, the song holistically used to take over everything! Very frankly, even now, when I listen to some song from the sixties or seventies, suddenly, I get hit by the sound of an instrument that did not capture your attention (for the various reasons that I stated above) all these years, even after listening to it a thousand times....! Then it dawns on you that it was this particular sound or effect that had held the scene and made all of us emotional about it, but never realising the individual instrument's role, as such. That was the power of his composition. He gave a complete package, always.
You may take any instrument: try listening for their sound carefully, decipher (sometimes there are beautiful combination sounds and it becomes difficult to identify at once)...you can keep listening to them in many songs, we would not have realised it till now! 'Atthaan en atthaan..', 'Kaadalikka katrukkollungal..,' 'Kanden kalyana pen,...'... how many more,...Maybe a search in our own website postings will surely give you instances, nuances from our learned experts aplenty....If necessary, our friends can list many more. This is just for Accordion, you name anything else, flute, violins, almost anything,...you will find it in this ocean called MSV!!
Thanks,
Sai
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is also quite difficult to play an instrument like Accordion, both hands to be used on the keys on its two sides, taking in air through the bellows and with expanding, compressing actions continuously needed....The instrument, I believe, is quite costly, as I am told. It is hardly being played these days, anyway, almost fading away in the early nineties. The emergence of the electronic keyboard, synthesiser in the late eighties, took away many such beauties from the music scene.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Articles & Writings by Fans! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: