"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

POLICE KARAN MAGAL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Movies - A Special Section!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madhuraman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:07 pm    Post subject: POLICE KARAN MAGAL Reply with quote

Police kAran magaL
This morning a friend of mine called up to know “why have I omitted the above movie from the list that catered to movies in our forum”. Strangely, I have not myself bestowed any thought on to it; possibly, the then attitude of mine was to discuss items that were produced by CV Sridhar; still it defies the spirit by my inclusion of ‘kalai kOvil’ and ‘Ooty varai uravu’ as 2 stark cases of ‘violation’. The best option before me is just to concede that it was a thoughtless omission though the movie has had all ingredients worthy of recall. So, why leave a grouse? Yes, friends –here it is – please take it.
POLICE KARAN MAGAL [1962]
The movie was made by one “Chitrakala” company. The story for the movie is credited to a noted writer Shri.B.S.Ramiah. Already the story had had a successful stint as a stage item. In fact, the drama was on the same name and was handled by M/S Seva stage- a troupe owned and handled by the veteran stage artiste Shri. S.V Sahasranamam, who had Mr.R.Muthuraman on pay roll as a stage artiste with them. Tempted by the success of the drama M/S Chitrakala acquired rights for movie-making and engaged Sridhar to direct the movie. That Shri. CVS became a movie director of reckoning, can be attributed to the phenomenal successes of “KalYANa parisu” and “Nenjil Ore aalayam”- the 2 heavy themes which clearly sent off signals of transition from hefty dialogues to mellowed utterances and precise display of ‘controlled emotions’. [ ‘Thaen nilavu ‘ was a light romantic deal] Besides these, CVS had by then strengthened the stranglehold of movie-making with technical excellence in cinematography and the grandeur of music as two infallible assets – irrespective of a movie being in B&W or colour. In such a low budget movie of its kind, PKM boasted of a list of 7 fabulous songs was by itself an emphatic testimony of the prowess of Kannadasan- V R team to dish out masterpieces without pinching the purse of such humble movie-makers of the times. Inevitably, we have to lament as movie fans, even as we watch the pathetic plight of movie-makers for the nemesis the movie houses are in for having failed to acknowledge the contributions of the ‘true great people’ of the golden era of TF.
More to come…
parthavi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Prof,
Thank you for your spirited posting on PKM. 'indha mandraththil oedi varum' was one of the earliest songs that instantly stirred up my emotions. I was 11 years old when the movie was released. I think listening to film songs was only an incidental activity at that age in that I had not grown to the stage of sitting before the radio excitedly anticipating some magical numbers from the movies that had just been released.

I don't know what made me get mesmerized by the song. I have always considered listening to this song as a divine experience. Even now, after listening to this song thousands of times, the prelude and the interludes make me experience a unique sense of ecstacy every time I hear them.

I have been looking forward to some technical analysis of this song. To my simple mind, the prelude gives us a sign of a pleasant breeze entering the arena and the interlude, the uninhibited flow of the breeze inside the arena (after having made its entry when the pallavi was sung.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Movies - A Special Section! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: