"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

POLICE KARAN MAGAL -III

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Movies - A Special Section!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madhuraman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:14 am    Post subject: POLICE KARAN MAGAL -III Reply with quote

POLICE KARAN MAGAL –III
KAVI ARASU – SEVI ARASU BONANZA
The present write-up addresses key features of songs in this movie. The topic is fertile for study and awe simultaneously. As is known every song is a product of at least two minds- of the lyricist and of the MD. In these domains, KD and MSV are monarchs unparalleled as perfect complements mutually strengthening the other man’s efforts. This complementation of theirs has been amply reiterated through their work for over three decades in TFM. How PKM could ever be any exception? The two have lent excellent support to the cause of the movie. In all, 7 songs appear in the movie and have been apportioned to different artistes.
The 7 items are
1 aandondru pOnAl - PBS SJ 2 nilavukku en mEl ennadi kOvam PBS
3 pon enbEn – PBS SJ 4 indha mandraththil – SJ PBS
5 indha mandrathti [ pathos] 6 kaNNilE neer edharku - SG SJ
7 porandhAlum ambiLayA - JP C LRE
At the moment, I intend placing a few points straight. Let us carefully consider the weight of a song for a movie situation as was considered by the then movie- makers. They never inserted songs as elements of alleviating monotony. [ a sharp contrast to the song inserts of present times]. In that golden era of TFM, songs served as powerful tools propelling the progress of the story, to effortlessly cross tight spots and to portray skills of story -telling. Therefore, songs enjoyed places of pride for lyricists and Music Directors, offering them scope and challenge to exhibit class. So, songs were true domains of mental eminence where the lyric and tune would vie with each other for rightful pride and legitimate supremacy. On innumerable occasions Kannadasan and MSV have held their standards aloft and taut making it hard to decide who won the game. This assertion of mine is from the gems strewn all over the movie PKM, of which I shall highlight soon.
S Janaki –the singer has been utilized in 5 0f the 7 songs in this movie. In fact, PKM has been among the rare exceptions were PS has not figured in a movie of the 60s in Tamil screen. So, to suggest that SJ’s utility was realized post 1976 is a willful distortion besides myopic limitation. That MSV has had the distinction of opting for the best fit for every song is firmly established in this movie as well. Also JPC – LRE combination was a new experiment in TFM. The point is, Golden era of TFM was richer by variety and imagination.
More to come………. K.Raman Madurai.
msvramki

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice writing on PKM, in your own style ! Hats off, Professor !
It is a pleasant surprise to note that SJ was the singer for most of songs !!
It never struck me so far.
How wonderfully Mannar has used SJ and made her present outstanding songs of the golden era !! Great.
Your input is making it clear how absurd the present talks are - that SJ was 'discovered' only in mid seventies ....etc....

Thanks for your writing/
Ramki
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Professor,
SJ was being given songs in many movies in the sixties, may be the number would have been very few. This is statistically a clear information on the number of songs in such an important movie for SJ even at that time by MM.

Regarding the JPC/LRE combination, do you have any information on 'Kumkuma poove,' known to have been tuned by SMS? Was there a role of MM in that song? The flair and energy in that song, and even the style makes me think so. I believe MM tuned a PBS song in that movie, if I recollect well...
Thanks,
Sai
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Movies - A Special Section! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: