"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pattikada Pattanama

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Songs Composed by MSV-TKR and MSV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sridhar

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 3:38 am    Post subject: Pattikada Pattanama Reply with quote

Hi every one

wanted to post a quick note. There are several films of MSV which has had blockbuster songs, list is too long. I thought I will pick Pattikada Pattanama (PP). MSV's songs in P Madhavan's movies were always good, this was no exception. there were 6 songs in this, I want to mention 3 of them, Kettukodi Urumi Melam, Nalvaazhthu nan solluvan and Mutthucholai thanga kaigal. Yes, I have omitted Ennadi Rakkamma, the mother of them all, but it has been well written.

Kettukodi - My favorite in the movie. This movie is about the contrasts of the city and village values or the lack thereof, the movie was somewhat one dimensional, village is good, city is bad type of thing. But MSV, brought the contrasts best in his music, both in the songs and BGM, I still remember the lilting flute background when Sivaji shows Jayalalitha around the lake, you feel the water flow in the flute.

Now, to the song, this is the first night when the village belle Sivaji marries the foreign returned Jayalalitha, she dances to the western beat and Sivaji says that reminds of the guy who plays urimi melam, the contrast in the music is superb. Sivaji(TMS), the village belle, singing is accompanied by western beat, drums and Jayalalitha (LRE)'s western and English words are done to the Urumi melam throught the song and the effect is spectacular.

Song starts off with Kettukodi by TMS with the drums, LRE starts with "we shall meet" to beat of urimi melam, the music interlude is combination of Nadaswaram, Saxaphone, drums and Dhavil! TMS eases into "koyilil ketta oru vagai melam" with the drum beat and finishes one sandham, spectacular!

MSV then starts off with Sax on a low note to the Urimi melam, LRE takes off with Oh my sweetie, Oh Kudumy uncle", great transition. Then comes the high note Trumphet and Sax with urimi melam before LRE goes with Melai nadengum povoam" at the end of which TMS starts "Munnor ellam moodargal alla", and the beat turns effortlessly into drums.

Tms concludes with Kettukody with the drum beat. what follows is absolute musical mayhem and sheer genius, LRE hums Dadadan, dadadadee accompanied by whistling, drums, urimimelam, Trumpet and Sax all in unison to a crescendo. you can visualize Sivaji closing all windows and doors for the climax.

I feel MSV turned 20 yrs younger for the movie, the music flows with youthful exuberence and impishness. THe movie was a super hit in good measure because of the music of our man.

More on the other 2 songs later.
Ram

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful write-up, dear Sridhar !!!

"I still remember the lilting flute background when Sivaji shows Jayalalitha around the lake, you feel the water flow in the flute."

Roopa enjoyed this line very much!

Unable to wait for the next 2 songs !!!!!
P. Sankar

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this movie several years after its release - somewhere in middle of 80's - at a theatre in Ambasamudram. Believe me, when we went to the theatre, the film was houseful. We were made to sit in extra chairs. I still remember how the mass enjoyed every scene of the film with whistle and claps. The celebration began right from the first song, "AMBIGAIYE.. ISWARIYEY..". The people went really mad during the songs, "Kettukodi" and "Adi Ennadi Raakkama". GOOD OLD DAYS.

P. Sankar - TIRUNELVELI
Ram

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sridhar,

Eagerly awaiting your next two songs from Pattikkaadaa Pattanamaa!!
Very Happy
sridhar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ram wrote:
Dear Sridhar,

Eagerly awaiting your next two songs from Pattikkaadaa Pattanamaa!!
Very Happy

Hi Ram

apologies. work and other commitments. will do soon. i enjoy the postings, so I need to do my part to contribute more often.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Songs Composed by MSV-TKR and MSV All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: