"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Maestro Illayaraja
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Tamil Film History, TFM Composers, Directors, Actors, Movies & Music (General Topics)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
satheesh

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isaignani Ilayaraja.....

I am struggling for words to get started on this genius. I wonder what he doesnt know in music. Name any genre and you have too many from this genious.

From folk to classical, and from East to West.... everything is there in his music.

I sincerely bow in front of this great maestro.
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every song of Isainyani of the late 70s and 80s give me nostalgic memories of my school / college days spent along with my friends & brothers .
Indeed, IR is a genius beyond comparison .

From a remote village Pannaipuram to dizzy heights of tamil cinema music ! Very Happy

Soon, will come up with songs which I cherish & his famous ludes Very Happy
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Vaan megangale vaazthungal Reply with quote

Barathi Raja's first 2 movies were village subjects ( 16 vayadhinile & Kizake pogum rayil )

After silencing his critics by making a city based movie , Sigappu rojakkal , a super hit at the BO, BR went back to village

3 continuous hits elevated him to the level of a Star Director

BR was one like KB who can take credit for having introduced many new faces who later went on to establish themselves firmly……some became big stars, some became character actors…some moved to other languages and did well

BR’s list is reasonably big - Sudhakar, Radhika , Vijayan, Janakaraj, Chandrasekhar….. later Karthik, Radha, Aruna , Revathy, Pandian , Nepoleon , Ranjani , Sulakshana etc….

but sprang a surprise by introducing his assistant director & screen play support, K.BAGYARAJ as hero for PUDHIYA VARPUGAL in 1979.

The triple success at the BO gave enough confidence for BR to introduce a beauty from Punjab , RATHI AGNIHOTRI !

BR seldom feared to experiment with bold themes and path breaking finishes. This movie also had one in the form of a young ( forced to ) married woman joining hands back with her lover…….

Bagyaraj’s lover Rathi who was forced to marry the villain pulls the thali out & goes back to Bagyaraj ………..

This is another full fledged village based subject with all the village ingredients

Every song that IR composed for BR movies is an audio delight to be preserved as a permanent album as they shared wonderful chemistry those days knowing each other’s strengths and interests….BR’s love for nature was best brought out through mind blowing tunes by the mesmerizing maestro !

The compositing pattern of each song in this movie also is another classic example of IR having red what BR had in his mind !
While the more popular were :
1.Idayam poguthe – Jency solo
2.Thamthana namthana thalam varum – Jency again in Shanmugapriya ragam

My pick is : VAAN MEGANGALE , MV & SJ for Bagyaraj & Rathi
The song appears immediately after both concur & it was a pleasant surprise to see a guy next door like personality to sing a love duet with one of the beauties of end 70s !

Bagyaraj made his debut as a teacher joining a village school
Wearing a big sized specs ( which became widely popular & called as Bagyaraj type specs ! )

I presume BR must have told IR that the audience should have a feeling as if some Kuyil had sang this song……… just listen to the flute preludes , interludes ……one of the best I have heard till date…. ( chinna kanna azaikiran was another )

This song has 3 charanams & IR’s rich creativity pervades !
With a lovely flute prelude, the song starts , followed by violin & ringing of bells……..the violin preludes are a typical IR-BR combination end product which one could hear in Pothi vacha malliga mottu preludes also ! The same style was followed in Poonkathave thaal thiravai preludes as well !
SJ’s kuyil like voice filled with youth aptly fits for Rathi …..VAAN MEGANGALE VAAZTHUNGAL PAADUNGAL….NAAN INDRU KANDU KONDEN RAMANAI ! VAAN MEGANGALE ….

What follows immediately was the famous tak tak tak tak , a clapping rhythm pattern which is IR’s first signature , a unique style he introduced

IMO, through this song, IR established his signature …….the thalam pattern was used later in many songs like Sindhu nadhikarai oram, O vanambadi unnai naadi, vaa ponmayile nenjam ekkathil thavik
udhu

After a brief typical IR pause, MV starts his part …..VAAN MEGANGALE VAAZTHUNGAL PAADUNGAL….NAAN INDRU KANDU KONDEN SEETHAYAI
Lead guitar then follows , immediately the BR-IR pattern Violin support once again ( which BR normally uses for repeating the same shot ………. Anyone who remembers the picturisation will realize what I am stressing here….. Bagyaraj’s image will be shown continuously like skipping & jumping along with the tide of the interlude …… later Rathi also will be shown continuously….. This same pattern , BR used even in Pothi vacha malliga mottu ! I vaguely remember BR using the same style for Kathal mayakkam ( Pudhumai Penn )……

It’s a melodious flute once again before SJ’s PALILE PAZAM VIZUNDHU…THENILE NANAINDHADHAMMA … Poovile maalai katti sooduven Kannaaa …..

Its flute once again now resembling a kuyil which prompts Rathi to say….Koo ku ku koo…kuyil paadi vaazthum vendham endro !
This song should be picked for the best of the flute/ veena preludes & interludes One of the best of IR on flute usage
The second interludes were benchmark IR ! for his violin & beautiful veena ( this time the old tak tak rhythm resurfaces ) …….. this time, MV’s turn to sing ….THENDRALE AASAI KONDU THOGAYAI KALANDHADHAMMA
During the 3rd interludes, after a brief ringing of bells , IR moves to Shenoy for a change for a extended tenure followed by flute finally……. PALLIYIL PAADAM SOLLI KETTU NAAN AASAI KONDEN

Rathi appears like a school student , dressed in school attire with hairs
styled that of a school girl coming before Bagyaraj ! I think BR went a bit overboard here !!

The song ends on a nice note with Bagyaraj & Rathi joining hands and coasting along ………….

The way Rathi opens her mouth widely for Vaan megangale was one of the highlights of the movie , widely imitated by everyone…..a subject of amusement then but today I realize that the lengthy expression was needed as the word Vaaaaan was stretched by IR !

Somehow I feel MV was an ideal match for Bagyaraj especially for his comical type of dialogue delivering style & his vocal chords , though later SPB & even Jayachandran fitted him well

This movie also had a surprise villain ……. G.Sreenivasan ( Dhoordharshan fame & well known as husband of Puliyoor Saroja ! )…… His famous dialogue was Ammavasa ! ( pointing at his adiyaal )

Rathi was charming & refreshingly beautiful ( the only shortcoming was the mottu netri ) when compared to those bored faces & no wonder she was a favourite star for the youth in the late 70s….within a short span of time, she paired with all the leading stars including Kamal, Rajini ………
Movies like Niram maradha pookal, murattukalai, kazugu, Anbukku naan adimai , ullaasa paravaigal quickly catapulted her to a star status which prompted a person like KB to make Ek tuje keliye

She appeared in brief in her next movie Niram maradha pookal as Vijayan’s lover. Though Vijayan was looking her uncle , the splendid songs, nice screen play & picturisation carried it through
After having graced the silver screen for over a decade (Tamil, Telugu, Kannada and Hindi), Rati settled down with businessman Anil Virwani.
After a 16-year hiatus, the actress returned to the silver screen with "Kuch Khati Kuch Meeti." Films such as "Yaadein" followed.

I was shocked to hear that she has an 18 year old son ! because the youth is still there in her face & appearance !

Bagyaraj came out of BR & started directing . Right from his first movie Mouna geethangal ( super hit ) , his approach was crystal clear & totally different from BR’s ( whose approach was visual mostly while Bagyaraj’s style had more of dialogues & humour ) …….Mouna geethangal’s success made him experiment with a crime thriller Vidiyum varai kathiru which though was not successful commercially, he got a good name…….. He developed a style for himself touching the aspects of sex & life along with his customary comedy….. He had a decent long run …… His style was later followed by his assistants , Pandiyarajan & Parthiban……. Bagyaraj’s initial movies were all hits like , Oru kai osai, Poi satchi, Indru poi naalai vaa, Mounga geethangal…… Darling Darling Darling ……….
Suvar illadha chitirangal also had comedy but ended on a tragic note…….. Bagyaraj did well as an actor …………
Through Thooral Ninnu pochu, he brought back the veteran villain Nambiar on a comic support role ….introduced Sulakshana through this movie…..this was another successful for him………
Mundhanai mudichu was a super hit movie which made him a top slot director….. Even his presence for few scenes in Naan sigappu manithan was enough to invoke laughter & cheer for otherwise a damn blood bathed movie
Bagyaraj reached peak during Mundhanai mudichu & Andha 7 naatkal ….. His movies were hot picks for artists from other states especially Anil Kapoor for the solid screen play & nice ending
Chinna veedu , though was hilarious, didn’t go well with the audience & probably this was the beginning of the end of Bagyaraj’s tenure………though Dhavani kanavugal & Idhu namma aalu did well & also Enga chinna rasa
The stupendous success of Mudhal mariyadhai motivated Bagyaraj to make Dhavani kanavugal with Nadigar thilagam ….though the role was in brief and jovial, Bagyaraj managed to give the best scenes to NT & it was well appreciated…..
Nyana pazam, Veetla visheshanga, Sundara gandam were all well below his established humorous standards & obviously didn’t go well with the BO.
He had an interesting battle with T.Rajendar briefly on who was more versatile as both were into multiple functions in making a movie…………This prompted him to even compose for movie I believe !

All said and done, Bagyaraj’s movies are ones which can be seen even today ( may not be with family ) but with friends
irenehastings

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my humble thought, possible it iwll be right.

there are somany websites and forums for ilaiyaraja throughtout the net. there they are discussing only about ilaiyaraja and his songs and nothing about msv and others.

but this is the only forum for msv sir. is it necessary here also we have to give much importance to ilaiya raja and discuss about him?.

not only me but most of the msv fans will tell no need.
madhuraman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: why others on msv site? Reply with quote

Dear friends
To draw delight by accommodating others on the plea of broad-mindedness reads good. But, precisely this site has been created with the noble intention of apprising the inmitable qualities of the music genre of MSV for the benefit of the younger generation. Too often the youngsters take delight of their being more knowledgeable than their elders. Where is the need to recall yesterday in a site meant for yester decades? One posting by [Mrs] Usha sankar has vividly portrayed how seeing a movie was forbidden on the surmise of the actor appearing in the particular movie is eloquent testimony to the conditioned living in yester years. As far as I understand, post MSV era personalities have enjoyed popularity and pomp more than what is commensurate to the contribution. Our genuine lamentation is -a gem lies unceremoniusly left in the cold as if a matter of logical outcome. Charity and chivalry can be thought of only when we are prosperous enough. Let me make it clear. I am not against honouring real talent but until such attitudes are liberally on display elsewhere we can ill afford the luxury of accommodating yesterdays and forenoons. When no one is willing to acknowledge the merits of the meritorious, there is no point in extending arms of cordiality. Nobility also has limits in this era of self aggrandisement. I hope the managers of the site recognize the logic in my perception. Unless absolutely justified our focus ought to stay with all the glorious facets of MSV and his associates.
Pardon me if I do not echo the views of some who display broad-minded disposition.
With warm regards, Prof.K.Raman NaviMumbai.
madhuraman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: why others on msv site? Reply with quote

Dear friends
To draw delight by accommodating others on the plea of broad-mindedness reads good. But, precisely this site has been created with the noble intention of apprising the inmitable qualities of the music genre of MSV for the benefit of the younger generation. Too often the youngsters take delight of their being more knowledgeable than their elders. Where is the need to recall yesterday in a site meant for yester decades? One posting by [Mrs] Usha sankar has vividly portrayed how seeing a movie was forbidden on the surmise of the actor appearing in the particular movie, is eloquent testimony to the conditioned living in yester years. As far as I understand, post MSV era personalities have enjoyed popularity and pomp more than what is commensurate to the contribution. Our genuine lamentation is -a gem lies unceremoniusly left in the cold as if a matter of logical outcome. Charity and chivalry can be thought of only when we are prosperous enough. Let me make it clear. I am not against honouring real talent but until such attitudes are liberally on display elsewhere we can ill afford the luxury of accommodating yesterdays and forenoons. When no one is willing to acknowledge the merits of the meritorious, there is no point in extending arms of cordiality. Nobility also has limits in this era of self aggrandisement. I hope the managers of the site recognize the logic in my perception. Unless absolutely justified our focus ought to stay with all the glorious facets of MSV and his associates.
Pardon me if I do not echo the views of some who display broad-minded disposition.
With warm regards, Prof.K.Raman NaviMumbai.
Srinivass NV

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Professor,
First, on behalf of the youngsters of this Forum (Youngsters...please pardon me for squeezing-in myself into your list), our pranams to you and your Love for MSV!... Now, we have yet another efficient and experienced Engine to propel ourselves from the Front.

True!...a gem lies unceremoniously left as Hype and Self propelled Advertisements have taken the Stage. If one has the patience and time to see the Interviews telecasted subsequent to the release of movies, one can see the frantic efforts each and every individual makes on-screen to project himself and his most mediocre work!... What is truly a nonsense beyond proof, is being shamelessly projected. Ofcourse, senses can be fooled by advertisements...conscience can never be!...

There can never be an atom of ambiguity over the fact that this Forum must focus all its might and effort to write about the Gem. This is clearly an attempt to counter the Hype and bring out the truly blissful and technically superior substance concealed beneath the creations of the Genius. And, this must be done by each and every one who has been blessed with an intellectual ability to recognize the divine, for the benefit of the generations to come.

Ofcourse, I am convinced, MSV does not require promotions of any sort to be recognized. His fragnance is certain to reach millions of generations ahead. HE IS A CERTAIN IMMORTAL!... However, I see the efforts of the members of this Forum as a positive Catalyst to the situation.

With all this listed, I personally feel, we need not formally restrict an article or a writing about someone else by someone who wish to. Ofcourse, we can be informally self-restrictive, unless situation warrants.

For someone who could still have a micro-trace of affinity towards other composers, I would prefer to allow them to write about others. I feel, this would certainly give them a chance to evaluate and introspect Online. And I donot have a shade of doubt about the conclusion their Musical Conscience would make eventually!...

Professor, I apologize for my அதிகப்ப்ரசங்கித்தனம்...if I sound like one though I donot intend to be!

With Love
madhuraman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:43 am    Post subject: why others on msv site? Reply with quote

Dear Shri NVS
While appreciating your observation that MSV does not need any props to stand as a grand edifice of elegance, why should we extend laurels to lesser mortals? The present day scenario being such, we should exercise caution to avoid undue importance to any one. You have gently pointed out the way people go about trumpeting their glories [non-existent].We should stay focussed since all others have several other means of propagation. All the same, I am not against any quality or merit being accorded its status of value. None can suppress the real merit.At the same time deviations do not help the prime cause.
I hope the spirit of my observation is recognized. Thank you.
Prof.K.Raman NaviMumbai.
Srinivass NV

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Professor,
I value your observations in a very right spirit. I would say, experience (in anything) is the best tutor and is certain to prove right in most of the cases. Your words could have found their origin in the richest experiences you would have come across and this alone signifies their merit.

Having said this, my faith points out that Imposition of any sort, is mortal...realization is not. Could be,...one day I realize the practical truth in your words after experiencing it. Till then, I would prefer to stand by my faith, while truly respecting your stand.

With Love
madhuraman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:10 am    Post subject: other points of view Reply with quote

Dear NVS and other friends
Your conviction of faith is all that a person requires to be genuinely successful. Obviously, persons of your clarity would not digress from the mission. Any pessimism running as an undercurrent in my thought fabric has its root in the common attitude of the general public we see around. I only felt the need to caution our wellwishers of MSV before deviations spread. Other than this I have nothing against posting one'sviews. My sincere thanks to all of you for a forum of this kind. Warm regards.
Prof.K.Raman NaviMumbai
vaidymsv

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:33 am    Post subject: THE DIVINE NEEDS NO RECOGNITION! Reply with quote

Dear Prof. Raman, NVS & Members,

Absolutely true. Both of you have written the status of TFM of yester years as well as of today (though I prefer to call the present music as " air horns of 100 sand laden lorries blaring together at a time!!! - enough NVS??? Very Happy ). Pardon me as I have reflected by immediate thought.

On one hand we have one of the most experienced educationists who has recently joined our elite forum and on the other hand we have an expereinced, knowledgeable rasika who has virtually captured the hearts of many in this forum by his unique writing. For a person like me, when I read the different dimensions of MSV written by NVS, Samppath, Ram, Ramki, Saradha, Usha and many more, I could totally see a different perspective to what I had thought about MSV all these years and I was astonished how each one's perception is different from one another!!! I hope the present generation takes a clue from these writings and ensure they keep themselves updated on what happened and how it all happened when technology was primitive. I wish to narrate my personal experience with the Legend.... One day I was casually mentioning to him about what wonders he has done with no hi-tech machines, to which he replied.... Appa Nan Mattindu irupenappa, yenna enakku music mattumthan theriyum, technology theriathu.... I was so impressed by his reply which only went to prove that, here's a Legend who hates to take any form credit to something that he does not know!!! Do we have anyone now for us to illustrate!!! I sincerely doubt it.

Our listening experience of the Great MSV has always been divine and soul stirring and quite frankly I could never, I repeat NEVER, experience it with anyone else. Prof. Raman was kind enough to teach me right infront of Our Musical God MSV the following..... Only Music that is created with the total involvement of body & soul will only touch upon another soul. How true it is in the case of our MSV. We have been listening to songs tuned by him for every emotion that mankind could through in one's life span!!! Truely amazing, amazing & amazing.

TRUELY A LEGEND UNPARALLELED INDEED. HE NEEDS NO RECOGNITION. BUT WHAT CERTAINLY OTHERS (ADD HERE ALL THE SUNDRIES) NEED IS THE OPPORTUNITY TO LISTEN TO HIM AND GET THEIR POLLUTED MINDS SANITISED!!!

CHEERS
MSV IS MUSIC
VAIDY

Srinivass NV

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Professor,
Blessings from elders like you are the most supreme for offshoots like me. I would certainly take your advice and be conscious about it all through.

Thank you very much for your kind views and guidance. I would request you to keep guiding us with your vast knowledge and experiences. We might pose our views, but all this will be done with a positive learning spirit. This is for sure.

My heart-felt pranams to you Sir.

Dear Vaidy,
100 Air Horns is sufficient Vaidy Sir?... Very Happy

Vaidy sir, you need not apologize to anyone for making this comparison. If at all we need to apologize, we need to do so to the Sand Lorries, for degrading them with our comparison!...

The polite remark of the Genius about his inability with the Technology, moves me. Here is a Genius who knew only Music and did not know the Technology...but went on to give immortal music for generations to adore.

I wish, the people who now claim to have mastered the Technology, atleast know some Music too!...

With Love
madhuraman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Duly honouring MSV Reply with quote

Dear friends
As Mr. Vaidhy has rightly pointed MSV has always been the very synonym of modesty be it with producers / Directors /Actors and even with rasikas. To understand this personality even peripherally one needs the blessings of divinity in ample measure. It has been a history that always genius has been looked down upon by lesser mortals especially fellow travellers. Those who exercised authority managed to make others tow a line. That has been the technology in film industry /Politics. MSV has been far removed from these styles of imposing his authority except while recording songs. Now look at MSV as a technocrat rather than as a slave who can not function if machines do not come to the rescue. Truly his technology is far superior to the current style of cut and paste or lift and pocket. IT IS HERE THAT I WISH TO DRAW THE SUBTLE LINE AS AN ESSENTIAL PARAMETER OF ASSESSMENT. While technology is a game of using gadgets, technique is a matter of dexterity. No technology can deliver the goods unless used by a conviction of purpose ideally matched by a good technique. Being able to use a computer is an added advantage only when we have the skill of drafting statements. The latter is the most powerful element i.e organizing the ideas. That is where MSV scores as an infinitely superior giant composer. Of what value is technology if it pathetically fails to render an effect. All the technology-dependent persons can only weep within "Engae Nimmadhy?" Though MSV by nature would not concur with these viewpoints, definitely I consider him a technologist who has shaped every shade of sound into a soul-stirring musical piece. Where is the value of technology in touching the souls? It is like the line of distinction between fast food and traditionally cooked delicacy. I hope there is no justification in MSV's contention that he would have been caught in the web of technology.On the contrary if the industry has used his boundless skills may be technology would have been put in a better orientation. As early as 1957 MSV' s technique of using instruments least known in this country is silent testimony to his technology. Hats off to this vibrant genius.
Prof.K.Raman NaviMumbai.
vaidymsv

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: HATS OFF TO YOU PROF. RAMAN Reply with quote

Dear Prof. Raman,

Hats off to you for beautifully explaining the difference between the Melodies that have been flowing uninterruptedly for years through a Genius called MSV and Maladies gushing out of the so called MD's of today. You were dead right in saying "what's the use of technology" when the present MD's treat the same with "kurangu kaiyil kedaitha poomalaiyai"???. Absolutely disheartening indeed. Here comes the Legend to the rescue of millions in this world who want their hearts & souls to be touched upon.

HE TOUCHED US AND WE WERE ALL SAVED, JUST SAVED BY THE GRACE OF OUR MASTER'S MAGICAL MUSIC!!!

CHEERS
MSV IS MUSIC
VAIDY

irenehastings

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Prof.Raman sir..

What MSV sir done without technology, CANT be done by present MDs with technology.

Yes. The originality given by MSV sir without technology cannot be repeated with advanced technical instruments.

In short...

WITHOUT TECHNOLOGY, HE MADE MUSIC
WITH TECHNOLOGY, THEY ARE MAKING ONLY SOUNDS
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Tamil Film History, TFM Composers, Directors, Actors, Movies & Music (General Topics) All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: