"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VERU IDAM THEDI POVALO

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Rare Songs of MSV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
S.SAMPAT

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: VERU IDAM THEDI POVALO Reply with quote

Dear all,

What a song!! This is not going to be any analytical sort of approach.
What I am, Where I am , How I am to analyse these kind of Gems. This is going to be a musical journey. I welcome everyone to share what his or her observations are, just listening to this wonderful composition.

Prelude: I asked my nephew, what sort of emotion u get by listening this
marvel . Immediate reply was "Pathos".
I asked him, Azhagia Tamil Magal Ival from Rikhshakaran.
Instant reply was "Love Duet".

My nephew normally likes only the music of IR and present day
MDs. He also likes some of the gems of MSV but he is not very
ardent of MSV. See his reaction by just listening!!!

Interlude : Both the songs are based on the same scale - Charukesi.
There may be a few composers who could have handled
Pathos and Joyful love duet with the same scale.
But the impact "Our Giant gives is something WORDLESS".

When u listen to this song, Unmaielaeya vaitha Pisayarudhu
Sir. Only MSV can do. I firmly believe no composer would be
able to clearly bring the situation,story with powerful music
just in front of your eyes.

In a way, I can say, if he would have concentrated only on melodies without bothering the characterisation, screen play and situation of each song, probably you might have got so many melodies as other MDs do, if at all u consider them as melodies. But the fact remains that MSV conditioned his musical prowess to the story and within that boundary, he has showered us with unimaginable, incredible melody marvels like this. For him, music should not supersede the storyline which is the bottomline.

Being creative with self imposed restriction is something
phenominal. MSV is the greatest of all the MDs is an AXIOM.

Postlude: " Very idam Thedi Povalo "

The song starts with swara Panchamam. Povalo.
Povalo - letters are 3. Lo is elongated to infer it is question.

The swaras are the top octave SaSa Ri ....

IYYO!! Andha Ri. you can safely call it as MSV Ri. Vaitha
Pisayavakkara Rishabham. What a contribution with her
shirl voice. Vani Jayaram!! Hats off to her. Then in the next
line the melody travels through Vasanthi.

Look for the oscillation of Suddha Deivadam in "Vidhi".
Adipooyitaen Sir Adi ! Enna Gamakam ! Wonder!

After the first interlude comes the Anupallavi landing on the
MSV Ri again with telling effect. See the sangethi
embellishments.

Then comes the second interlude with MSV's usual deviation
from the scale. It passes through Ga1, Ni2 , Da2. In some
places, adjacents notes are played one after the another with
marvellous execution. Look for the notes and enjoy
the essence. The charanam is not very similar to Anupallavi as
it has an additional stanza.

When I finish this my wife just entering my room, exclaiming what a song it is!!! ( I am writing this just listening to the song!!)

Friends, pour our your feelings of listening to this song!!!

(Note: If u take the Pancham as Shadjam, the raga you get is
Kokilapriya 11th Melakartha. But I prefer to call this as
Charukesi because even taking my adhara sruthi, the song
starts only on pancham)

I learnt from our dear SRS that the song is written by Jayakandhan.
What a lyrics!! Thanks SRS.

With love,
Sampat
sridhar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sampat

great write up, this is a great song from Sila nerangalil sila manidhargal. Of course the other gem is "kandathai sollugiren" by our MSV himself. Story has it that Jayagandhan had a fall out with Kannadasan and penned lyrics himself and they are superb, the music and the lyrics capture the mood.

The story of a woman who is wronged in a single act of passion in her teens and who carries it as a cross thru her life is passionately brought out:

"veeru idam thedi povalo
ival vedhaniyil irundhu meelvalo
nooru murai ival purapppattal
vidhi nooliyazhiyal ival agappattal"

Paruva mazai pozia pozia
payirellam sezhikkathodo
Ival paruva mazayale vazkkai
palai vanam aghiyathe
siru vayadhil seidha pizai
siluvayyena sumakkindral
Ival maru padiyum uyirppalo
malareneve udhippalo"

this is a masterpiece. sorry, don't know how to do the tamil fonts. this movie's music was one of MSV's best.
S.SAMPAT

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In a way, I can say, if he would have concentrated only on melodies without bothering the characterisation, screen play and situation of each song, probably you might have got so many melodies as other MDs do, if at all u consider them as melodies.

Read it as "In a way, I can say, if he would have concentrated only on melodies without bothering the characterisation, screen play and situation of each song, probably MSV might have given many more melodies than what he had given". What I tried to say is, He has been a creative genius within the boundary. I meant to say, He had many songs only for the lyrics rather than the other way round. Give a melody ask the Lyricist to fill up the blanks is not that much creative. It is simpler for MD as he is imposing the condition on the lyricist and escaping from his duty MD. That it is not MSV. That is what I tried to say

With love
Sampat
vaidymsv

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: NALLA ISAIKKU VERU IDAM YETHU, MSV THAVIRA SAMPATH!!! Reply with quote

Dear Sampath,

Yadhondrum ariyen parabaramey (in fact yadondrum ariya virumbavillai) msv thavira Very Happy . What a song you have taken (by the way how do u single out a gem when you are literally drowned in a sea of msv gems!!!)??? When ever I read your posts, tears roll out Sampath. You & NVS have this gift of making us making us cry by your writings. Anandham ellaiyai thandi vittathu. Both the songs (Kandathai Sollugiren...... listen to the flute after the first line of this song.....manathai ennennavo seithu vidum) and veru idam..... another invaluable gem in the combo of msv & vani jayram.... Sampath, I really liked this particular post as it was pretty much within my reach.....(understanding). A great job accomplished Sampath. Enna ippollam mobile phonela kooda vara matengirirgal!!!

CHEERS
MSV IS MUSIC
VAIDY

S.SAMPAT

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Vaidy,

I am greatful only to our SRS. When we had a meeting on the other day, He sang this song beautifully which was one of my all time favorites. So SRS is only instrumental who kindled my interest to write this post.

Thank u SRS once again

With love,
Sampat
s.r.sankaranarayanan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEAR SAMPATH & ALL,

FITTING WRITE UP ON ONE OF THOSE RARE GEMS.SAMPATH HAS TRAPPED THE FEELING BEATIFULLY.REALLY "VAYITRAI PISAIGIRA " IS THE MOST APT DESCRIPTION POSSIBLE.IN RENDERING OF THE WORD "VETHANAYIL' THE ANGUISH AND THE AGONY FLOWS TO YOU IN THE MUSICAL JOURNEY AND YOU FEEL THE SAME.TELL ME ONE SONG OF THIS GENRE IN CONTEMPORARY MUSIC WHERE THE SITUATION,THE LYRIC,THE TUNE ,THE RENDERING ALL COMBINE TO TRANSFER THE THE EXPERIANCE.

AND SAMPATH, I ENJOYED THE MASTERS CREATIVE PLAY THE WAY HE CHARADES THRO' VASANTHI IN SECOND AND THIRD LINES AND BACK TO CHARUKESI FLAVOUR THRO REST OF THE SONG. JITHANYA!

THE NOTABLE FEATURE OF JAYAKANTHAN,S LYRIC IS ITS OBJECTIVE DISPOSITON MEANING THE LYRIC IN ITS TONE DOESNT GET VERY CLOSE TO THE PROTAGONIST'S SITUATION NOR FAR REMOVED FROM IT.THIS SCENE IS CAPTURED AS A MEDIUM SHOT IN THE SONG.AND SEE HOW THE EFFECT MAGNIFIES INTO.BUT ,BUT, HOW THE MASTER IS ABLE TO TRANSLATE AND CAPTURE IT THRO MUSICAL ABSTRACTION/

IT MAKES ME THOUGHTLESS.

GREAT MAGIC.

S.R.SANKARANARAYANAN
vaidymsv

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: CAUGHT YOU SRS!!! Reply with quote

Caught you SRS!!! You were the one to come to the rescue of other MD's when I mentioned to you that I just can't listen to anyone else in this world except My MSV. You infact mentiones about some songs by .... I dont remember who they were. But, now you see how you have reatced.... in sheer anguish.... you have dared to challenge anyone in the contemporary!!!! That's the magic of MSV SRS.... I reiterate once again...

Those who listen to MSV can't listen to others and those who listen to others can't understand MSV!!! Thank you SRS for your emotional outburst. Nan ithai, ithaithan edhirparthen Very Happy

CHEERS
MSV IS MUSIC
VAIDY

Srinivass NV

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sampat,
A படர்க்கை (Third Person) category of Song...a category, where there is only one MASTER, miles and galaxies ahead of anyone else in the domain!... A beautiful pick up and realistic presentation.

Most likely, this Song seems to have been penned first. It is indeed astounding to note the aesthetic sense of Poetry imbibed into this Writer!... This Statement is not as light as it appears... The depth of this remark will become evident if we look around the World of today's Lyrics. With the Poets of today's world delivering Prose (atleast!) in the name of Lyrics, here is a Writer predominantly known for his Prose Skills, who has come out with a marvel of a Poetry within all acceptable limits. Truly Great!!...

As you have mentioned, Mrs.Vani Jayaram has done a fabulous rendering, with all the intended feel of the Poetry and the Music represented in her Voice. However, it would have been a more superlative treat if the MASTER himself would have rendered this. I personally feel, the category of the Song demands the ultimate renderer, who could be none other than the MASTER himself. My eyes truly moisture as I shutdown myself, trying to imagine the Voice of the Supreme taking over... as it starts வேறு இடம் தேடிப் போவாளோ!...

With Love
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good selection Sampathji ! Very Happy

U know, I always felt that the Master should have been given more challenging themes like this movie so that one could have got some extrordinary composition from him. This movie starts with Master singing Kandhai sollugiren .........

Though the voice of VJ, one can easily feel the mood of the song because the tune has been set so perfectly !

Your friend is right. PATHOS is what comes to me also like a flash .

Listening to the words ..... Thani maramai aanale .....one will feel sad for the character

Happy that the movie got national award Smile

ANother challenging movie was Apoorva ragangal .
Baskar CS

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when a situation is given to a actor he can bring emotions ,like wise a poet but how it is possible to coin both music ,voice and express it and what could have been the reason for msv to choose vani for this instead of ps.
there is defienitely something whcih he feels vani has
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baskar CS wrote:
when a situation is given to a actor he can bring emotions ,like wise a poet but how it is possible to coin both music ,voice and express it and what could have been the reason for msv to choose vani for this instead of ps.
there is defienitely something whcih he feels vani has

Baskar Sir

One small digression :

I am sure U would have listened to PS rendition of --- Enge neeyo naanum ange
& also ---- Kadhal siragai katrinil viduthu

Just 2 examples. Both are class apart & unique ! Very Happy

Cheers
Baskar CS

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

only two balaji . hundreds of them are there.
engay neeyum , nalai intha , chandrathoyam, list is endless
tvvraghavan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sampath Uncle,
Listening the song and reading your post simultaneously is such a joyous act that can only be felt rather than expressed. Who else could tell all of us here on the intricacies of the song and the reality that is embedded.

THANKS A LOT !!!

I dont think "VIDHI..NOOL IZHAYIL IVAL..." is repeated after the first pallavi...I thank for making us realise the BEAUTY of this rendition. Have been listening to this song innumerable times since morning and just to the pallavi....My GOD !!!!

The song that was played next in my Real Player was "SUGAMANA SINDHANAYIL IDHAMAANA..." from Taxi Driver. Another master piece from our Master.

I would like to place a request to you on behalf of everyone here , to analyse this song that would make us realise the REAL BEAUTY and the AESTHTIC VALUE of this song.... PLEASEEEEEEEEEE !!!!

MSV Rules !!!

Venkat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Rare Songs of MSV All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: