"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Songs of MSV (General Postings and Discussions)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 23, 24, 25  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Songs Composed by MSV-TKR and MSV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
baroque

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SWEET! INNOCENT!
Passionate love!
Happy happy joy joy in the Air!

Andha maappillai kaadhalichan… Panam Padaithavan!
Foot tapping catchy tune!
Mesmerizing simple percussion
Rich flute ludes!
Ever green 'amaidhiyaana nadhiyiniley...' tune has been tastefully improvised with lilt! Double the pleasure.. as the composition progress, amaidhiyaana nadhiyiniley... tune sugam lingers in manasu in addition to andha maappilai... thullal happiness!!

http://www.musicindiaonline.com/p/x/vq7gD-gGht.As1NMvHdW/
baroque

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Romance romance romance in the AIR!

WHAT A PERENNIAL FAVORITE!!!

Vidiya vidiya solitharuven....

http://www.musicindiaonline.com/p/x/EAbgm5Jd.t.As1NMvHdW/

all smiles Very Happy vinatha.
viswapriyan

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been following this very interesting thread.

I would like to remind fellow msvians about songs from "padhibakthi"

Some how I feel the songs of those times of the Isai Devadidevan were timeless and irreplaceable.

Coming back to the songs of "padhibakthi", my all time favourite is the lullaby by PS:"chinnanchiru kaN malar, sempavaLa vAi malar..." the violin seconds and the follow up and humming in the beginning of the song by PS is simply....I don't have words to describe the emotion it kindles in you.
It transports you to a different world.

The next one is "veedu nOkki Odivantha ennaiye .." by TMS and chorus. what a song? simply timeless.

The third one is the duet by TMS and Jikki:"kokkara kokkara kO sevale..."
the beauty of theis song is evident from the opening BGM.

The fourth one is TMS and JPCB chorus:"intha thiNNai pechu veeraridam konjam kaNNayirukkanum aNNachi..." a very melodious number.
rajeshkumar_v

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

viswa,

padhibakthi had another w'ful song by PS

"iraipodum manidharukke irayagum vellade" -wonderful lyrics by Pattukottai
manisekaran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish to share some information.

MSV and TKR were giving some nice movies with wonderful songs. Though songs were great hits, somewhow MSV was not the demanded for MD. This was because there were other contemporary keen competitors such as G Ramanathan, KV Mahadevan, Subbiah Naidu, TG Lingappa,etc.

Kulebagavali, Mannathi Mannan, Magane Kel, Mahadevi, are some of the movies with good songs. Pathibakthy produced by MSV and his close friends had some nice songs as well. Let us not forget CHINNANCHIRU KAN MALAR.

Yet it was Malayitta Mangai which became a turning point for MSV TKR- songs that became hits of all time. This is mentioned by Kannadasan and admitted by MSV. Kannadasan called these two Mellisai Mannarkal. One may remember dozens of songs produced by Bhim Singh Directed movies- especially those titles starting with "Pa" - Pasa Malar, Pava Mannippu, Paar Magale Paar, pandapasam, Paalum Pazhamum, and later Pazahani as well. Apart from Bhim Singh others too came rushing to MSV for songs in the early 1960s- Ithayathil Nee, Kathiruntha Kankal, Aananda Jothy, Periya Idathu Penn, Deivathai, Panakkara Kudumbam, Aalayamani, Nichaya Thamboolam etc etc etc.

After the film Karpagam, there was a ceremony held to honour MSV and TKR. This was the event where the title Mellisai Mannarkal was officially bestowed upon these two.

Sivaji Ganesan was the chief guest. He spoke to this effect " I am told that tress grow faster and healthier when music is played to them. In my case, I gained much weight by listening to the music of MSV/TKR"

Pava mannippu too had some great songs. TMS suggested to introduce best singers award. He must have hoped to grab this award. It was Pava Mannippu that started to award such honours upon singers. and guess who got it? PB Seenivas was chosen the best singer in 1961- kalangalil Aval Vasantham!

Kannadasan had written the song Vantha Naal muthal- and wanted to sing it himself. MSV opposed strongly and lovingly, saying "Dont spoil your name"

Pava Mannnippu had a song Athan Ennathaan which became a favourite of Lata and Raj kapoor as well. lata liked this song so much that she bought a 166 mm print of this film from AVM Chettiar.

Pava Mannnippu also saw one more "first". Fans were invited for listing out the best scores from this movie- in an open field within AVM studio.

Last edited by manisekaran on Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:35 am; edited 1 time in total
s.r.sankaranarayanan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEAR MANISEKARAN,

NICE AND RARE INFORMATION.FINE ARCHIVE MATERIALS TO DECORATE THE HISTORY OF TFM.UNFORTUNATELY WE DONT HAVE THE CULTURE OF SYSTEMATIC RECORDING OF SUCH HISTORY AS IT IS DONE IN THE WEST.BY THE WAY IT WILL BE BENEFICIAL TO MENTION THE WRITTEN SOURCE MATERIAL IF ANY IN THE BACKGROUND OF SUCH
INTERESTING TRIVIAS.KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.

S.R.SANKARANARAYANAN
s.r.sankaranarayanan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEAR MANISEKARAN,

NICE AND RARE INFORMATION.FINE ARCHIVE MATERIALS TO DECORATE THE HISTORY OF TFM.UNFORTUNATELY WE DONT HAVE THE CULTURE OF SYSTEMATIC RECORDING OF SUCH HISTORY AS IT IS DONE IN THE WEST.BY THE WAY IT WILL BE BENEFICIAL TO MENTION THE WRITTEN SOURCE MATERIAL IF ANY IN THE BACKGROUND OF SUCH
INTERESTING TRIVIAS.KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.

S.R.SANKARANARAYANAN
viswapriyan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Manisekaran,

One more movie in the "paana Bhimsingh" genre: pAdhukAppu *ing Sivaji, Jayalalitha, Nagesh, Balaiah, JPCB

While most of the things you said were accurate and pertinent , I disagree with your view that MSV was not in demand. Immediately, from the top of the head I can reel out other movies for which musical Gemini(celestial twins) MSV-TKR composed music and they were a hit. They are: pudhaiyal, pAsavalai, sivagangaicheemai , thirudAdhe(though officially the MD is SMS, everybody knows the real MDs were musical Gemini), ondru pattal undu vaazhvu(excellent title song) etc.

Continuing the thread of songs from that period, one of the best songs I like from pudhaiyal is "Asai kAdhalai marandhu pO"(raaga sounds like subapanthuvrALi) by PS.
viswapriyan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pls. add the following to the list of Jun 02.:petra maganai vittra annai, ALukkoru veedu.

The opening of the song from "petra..." by AMR+PS, "thendral urangiya pOdhum..." is simply out of the world.

No words to describe the song "anbu manam kanindha pinne..." by PBS+PS.

Only the senior maestro can weave subtle magic like this.
manisekaran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear S.R. Sankaranarayanan,

I took the information from several sources. But the main source would be a series by AVM Saravanan- a book on TMS, another book by MSV himself and cassette talks by Kannadasan. I shall quote the exact names later.

DEAR WISWAPRIYAN
It was MSV himself who had commented that he had done good movies, but somehow his meteoric rise was much later.
I agree he has done great movies in his pre Bhim Singh period.

Bhim Singh's first movie was Senthamarai, but came out very late. That movie has two good songs. Kanave Kathal Vaazhve and Poovirukku Vandirukku

Modern Theatres SUGAM ENGE (1954) had great songs- Kannai Kavarum Azhagu Kalai, Sugam Enge, Kannil Thondrum Kaatchi Yaavum etc.
VAIRAMALAI (1954) still boasts of some of the best hits- Vanjamitho Vanjayitho and Koovamal Koovum Kokilam

PORTER KANDAN (1955)- only one song is outstanding-Varunthathe Maname.Cant think of any other.

Modern Theatres PASAVALAI (1956) has some of the great songs as well- Anbinale Undakum, Intha Aattukkum, Kull Nari Thappi vanthaa, Machan Unnai Paarthu etc

Segar Art Pictures AMUDHA VALLI (1959) has at least this great song that shall always be my favourite- Aadai Katti Vantha Nilavo.I cannot recollect any other great hit.

Vikram Productions RAJA MALAYIA SIMMAN (1959) has some of the best works by MSV- Vennilave nillu, Kannukku Kannan Kaatchi, Kannale Kaanbathum Poiye, Vaazvathu Enrum Unmaiye etc. MSV used PB Seenivas for the first time- Azhage Amuthe.

It was as mentioned by Kannadasan, the closest to MSV, Malayitta Mangai that became a turning point for MSV. Before 1960, there were many others who were competing with MSV. Whle MSV did provide some good songs, he was dwarfed by other composers in the 1950s. These other composers started to retire in stages. By the early 1960s, the two much sought after composers were MSV and KVM. The old timers could only surface from time to time.

Listing of MSV's films by year would show his steeper rise in the 1960s.

But these are my humble observations, which may not be agreed with.

Thank you.
Manisekaran

Thank you
s.r.sankaranarayanan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEAR MANISEKARAN,

THANK YOU. AGAIN YOUR POSTING HAS RECORDED SOME INTERESTING AND RARE INFORMATIONS.NICE.THE SONGS YOU HAVE MENTIONED ARE BECOMING RARE TO GET HOLD OF. ARE THEY BY ANY CHANCE AVAILABLE?

INCIDENTALLY, WHEN MYSELF AND VAIDY WERE CONVERSING WITH DEEPAN CHAKRAVARTHY IMMEDIETLY AFTER THE MSV/TKR DOORDARSHAN PROGRAMME,HE WAS ECSTATICALLY MENTIONING ABOUT THE SONG "KOOVAMAL KOOVUM KOKILAM " FROM "VAIRAMALAI"

PRAY WE COULD GET HOLD OF THESE RARE MARVELS TO ADORN OUR SITE.

THANK YOU AGAIN KEEP CONTINUING SUCH GOOD POSTS.

S.R.SANKARANARAYANAN
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great. If Mr. Manisekaran is here, then we are to get the most interesting / fascinating info on Mellisai Mannar. Mr. Mani is like a treasure for us.

Dear Mr. Mani, can you give more info. on the events of MSV's life during the 50s and early 60s ?
rajeshkumar_v

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sankaranarayanan

http://www.esnips.com/doc/334b8067-47d4-4348-ad87-9bb5beae5fb6/ILANKAI-VAANOLI-NINAIVALAIGAL-PART---2

listen to this clip by yazh sudhakar on Ilangai vanoli the first song played in this clip is Koovamal koovum kokilam

raj

Last edited by rajeshkumar_v on Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:07 am; edited 1 time in total
manisekaran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear S.R. Sankaranarayanan,

These are the main books from which I took the information:

1) Oru Kuyilin Vazhkai Sangeetham- by Kavitha Albert (A book on TMS)

2) Mellisai Mannan MSV- by Ramanimynthan

3) Manathil Nitkum Manitharkal-M. Saravanan

4) Cinema Santhayil 30 Aandukal by Kannadasan (where he says that the turning point for MSV/TKR with he inclusive, was Malayitta Mangai (page 22)

It is natural for Deepan to have a liking for this song, as his father Trichi Loganathan as the one who sang this song with MLV.

S. BALAJI

I am not that knowledgeable on cinema songs. I may have some information alright. I have seen many others with deeper knowledge.
Unfortunately I cannot be a regular here. May drop in as and when time permits.

SOME INTERESTING INFORMATION
The first song that MSV composed came under the name of SMS. It was a tune that SMS could not compose to his satisfaction. MSV came to his rescue. "Puthu Vasantham Vaazhvile" was that song.

Then MSV was involved in the composition under C.R. Subbaraman. Vaan Meethile in Chandirani was by MSV. Likewise, Ulake Mayam in Devadas was by MSV. MSV and TKR scored the BGM for Devadas. Genova had three MDs. MSV was one of them. The song "Namey Jeevasugam" was a great hit from Genova.

When MSV did audition for Chandrababu, he was not up to his mark. So he rejected Chandrababu saying he sang like speaking. When Kulebagavali songs were composed, Chandrababu shot back at MSV. Babu said that the tune for the song La Sokka Potta Navabu was not suitable for dance movements. Immediately MSV did some dance movements and proved that the tune was suitable for dance movements. It was after that that Chandrabau agreed to dance for the song. MSV had earlier undergone dance training. During the last days of Chandrababu, it was MSV who looked after him. MSV looked after SMS and did the final rites upon his death.

MSV had also acted in a few movies in the 1950s

When MSV got married almost all MDs came down. There was live perfomance of cinema songs at the wedding. It is said that the cinema field is yet to witness such a "musical wedding."

MSV's first humming was Paalirukkum Pazhamirukkum.

Pava Mannippu was the first and last to be nominated for President's Gold medal- acording to Lenin (editor) on account of the storyline, acting talent as well as super hit songs.

The late MD Noushad from the north had said "MSV is light music and light music is MSV".

Aalayamani was made into Hindi under the name of Aadmi. There was an initial fear that the Hindi songs would not be as good as Aalayamani. And that was what happened.

Naushad had a great liking for the song Devan Kovil Maniyosai and had asked Seergazhi Govindarajan to sing at a concert (some articles refer to the song Odam Nathiyinile) Naushad even had the humility to say that MSV was a greater composer than his own self.

Chinnappa Devar mainly used KVM in his early movies, especially for MGR starred films. Devar came loking for MSV to compose for Vettaikaran, as distributers wanted that, but MSV declined. Then Devar went back to KVM for good.

MSV had challenged that his songs would win awards- even at the time of composing. True enough "Naalai Intha Velai Paarthu" from Uyarntha Manithan and "Yezhu Swarangalukkul" from Aboorva Ragangal won these
awards. He introduced a new raga called "Mahathi" in the film Aboorvaragangal - the song is Athisaya Ragam.

MSV had sang film songs and got them recorded. But then he then went for other singers to ensure the songs came out even better in the silver screen as well. One such song was Pallootti Valartha Kili, which he sang when TMS was on tour in South Africa. But MSV felt that TMS would give more life to the song, if Sivaji were to act it out. Therefore when T.M.S. came back he was made to sing again, to ensure it suited Sivaji Ganesan well. And just look at the movie now!

Yaar Antha Nilavu in Shanthi was composed in Western style- taking the concept from Cliff Richard model. Sivaji Ganesan came for shooting, but turned down each time the camera was about to roll on. He took three extra days to plan out the acting for that song. Finally he did his best. Accoprding to MSV that was a song where Sivaji infused greater life and spirit. He also said that in this song Sivaji had overtaken MSV himself. After singing this song in Malaysia, TMS said that a song should be like that one, which even inspires the singer.

MSV is an endless ocean................These are few drops from the ocean!

Thank you.
Manisekaran

Last edited by manisekaran on Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:40 am; edited 1 time in total
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another detailed note on MSV ! Thank you very much Mr. Manisegaran Very Happy

Requesting you to visit the site as and when time permits and pour us with such fascinating info. on Mellisai mannar and his brand of music .

Intersting to note about Yaar andha nilavu song !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Songs Composed by MSV-TKR and MSV All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 9 of 25

Jump to: