"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Songs of MSV (General Postings and Discussions)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 23, 24, 25  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Songs Composed by MSV-TKR and MSV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
viswapriyan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Satheesh, talking about binding jazz and folk ("veedu varai uravu"), do you remeber the re-recording of an old Bhimsingh movie called "paadhukaappu". The whole film was shot in the backwaters of Kerala and is a murder mystery starring Shivaji, nambiar, major sundarrajan, nagesh, chandra babu, balaiah and jayalalitha. At apt places in the movie the (asariri) voice of seerkazhi can be heard singing "aaththukku pakkam oru thenambillai..." and it was out of the world. It also carried other gems like "vara cholladi..." in charukesi and a western number " sorgam po.." by LR Eswari and Saibaba
vaidymsv

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Hi All Reply with quote

Dear Sateesh. Vishwapriyan,

It's great to see all of us literally taking off with msv's unmatchable ability to sound same instruments in different aeras! Great observation. As you rightly said, this ability of MSV to fuce something in an absolute "seamless welding" is a technology invented by MSV and still remains with him only. For ex listen to Piano-Mridamgam in Paaduvor Paadinal Aaada thondrum and listen to the 2nd & 3rd BGM progression, you will be astonished as to what makes him think at this lever! Well again the clue lies with him only!!!
vaidymsv

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject: Hi All Reply with quote

Dear Sateesh. Vishwapriyan,

It's great to see all of us literally taking off with msv's unmatchable ability to sound same instruments in different aeras in a totally different style! Great observation. As you rightly said, this ability of MSV to fuse something in an absolute "seamless welding" is a technology invented by MSV and still remains with him only. For ex listen to Piano-Mridamgam in Paaduvor Paadinal Aaada thondrum and listen to the 2nd & 3rd BGM progression, you will be astonished as to what makes him think at this level! Well again the clue lies with him only!!!
tssk55

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: Can there be anything better? Reply with quote

This is calling the attention of all MSV fans to KARNAN songs - each song competes with one another in terms of melody. POI VAA MAGALEY POI VAA... ULLATHIL NALLA ULLAM ...... KANGAL ENGEY.....
As the saying goes... "Whence comes another?"
Ramesh.P

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KARAN: Different musical album . None can match even today. MSV adopted north indian style and used rare instrtuments for this movie.

regards
ramesh
viswapriyan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: KARNAN: Every song is a materpiece. The crowning gem is "manjaL mugam uru mAri..." .I think it is based on raga pilu. Unfortunately, you never get to hear the full song after anu pallavi starting with the words "kEtpArkellam karNan koduthirupAn, kELamal avanukku ivaL koduththAL..." what a melody and maintenance of tempo!! Simply divine.

In the version of this song I heard, P.Susila starts with following words after anu pallavi,"manjaL kooty, vaLayal sooti... "
viswapriyan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how many of you are aware of the album titled "East-West Wedding" that was created by the MASTER under HMV banner. As I remeber there were only two such albums under HMV banner. One from the south and the other from the North. The southern version was by MSV and northern by Shankar-Jaikishan. This happened around late sixties or early seventies of last century.

That album is entirely instrumental if I remember right. Every piece is a fusion and one number which I remember vivdly is a percussion ensemle, where all the Indian and western percussion instruments figure.

At that time I used to frequent Canada and Germany and I have heard these numbers in the channel music of Air-India and Indian Airlines flight.

During the launch of MSV website, I asked MSV and he doesn't seem to remember it. While I was explaining the album, Mr.M.S. Raju was nodding his head in recognition of such an album.

If we can get our hands on it will be a rare gem in our MSV archive.
sahridayan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all MSV fans here..

I am a keralite and Adore MSV as much as I adore the other masters of Malayalam film music like Devarajan(late) and Raveendran (Late)..

MS Viswanathan composed songs for about 67 malayalam films from 1971 to 1998 .

(For more statistical info plz visit : www.malayalasangeetham.info)

Enlisting some of his ever green classics as well as popular hits in malayalam..

* Eeswaranorikkal, thiruvabharanam & swarga nandhinee swapnavihaarinee Lankadahanam )

* Swarnagopura narthakee silpam ( Divyadarsanam)

* Kannuneerthulliye and Suprabhatham ( Pani theerathe veedu)

* Rajeevanayane and Swargamenna kaananathil ( Chandrakantham)

* Veenapoove ( Jeevikkan marannupoya sthree)

* manassillenkil ( Hridayame saakshi)

* Suraloka jaladhara & madhumaasam bhoomi than( Ezham kadalinakkare)

* ente manassoru ponnoonjalu , Pulariyodo sandhyayodo priyanu( Simhasanam)

* Ente rajakottaram, aakasham akaleyannaru paranju , ayala porichathundu , ethu pandal kandalumathu ( Venalil oru mazha)

* Omal kalaalaya varshangale (kolilakkam)

* Alakalile , Kanikal niranjorungi ( Athiraathram)

* En manassil nee vidaru (Thennal thedunna poovu)

* Chalanam Jwalanam ( Aiyer the great)

This list is a quick selection from around 300 songs which he composed in the 20 year period. I think his contribution to malayalam film music needs more recognition and appreciation. The variety of his songs - (From the classical based SUPRABHATHAM and KANNUNEERTHULLIYE to KANIKAL NIRANJORUNGI and EN MANASSIL which has more western influence) is amazing..

I have not listened to MSVs songs in Tamil .So I do not really know that his malayalam hits were popular tunes composed for Tamil films or entirely original.I would like dear members to share some of the great MSV tamil hits in the forum so that fans like me can enjoy the maestros music more..
sankaran.lic

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEAR VISHNU PRIYAN,THE ALBUM EAST-WEST WEDDING WAS RELEASED IN 1972.THERE ARE 14 MUSICAL THEMES.IT IS A JEWEL IN MSV'S CROWN.THE FIRST ONE WAS NADHASWARAM AND WESTERN INSTRUMENTS.THIS ONE IS CALLED EAST WEST WEDDING.THE NEXT ONE WAS TRAIN STARTING FROM A STATION PASSING A BRIDGE AND REACHING A STATION.THE FIRST ONE IS STILL BEING PLAYED AT POORNAKALA THEATRE IN TIRUNELVELI FOR RAISING THE SCREEN.THE WHOLE ALBUM IS STILL BEING BROADCAST IN THE MORNING KALAI MALAR PROGRAMME AT MADRAS A.ANOTHER GREAT IS HE HAS SADHAN IN MANY SONGS SADHAN WAS SO GREAT IN MUTHAMMA MOHAMA FROM PARAKKUM PAVAI.MSV USED100 MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS IN PUTHIYA PARAVAI FOR ENGEY NIMMADHY.

HIS FEW BEST GEMS

1.MALAYUM IRAVUM SANNTHIKKUM (PASAM)

2.NAALAM NAALAM (KATHALIKKA NERAMILLAI)

3.KAALAMIDHU KAALAMIDHU (CHITHI)

4.KADHAL CHIRAGAI (PALUM PAZHAMUM)

5.KANNUKKU KULAMEDHU (KARNAN)

6.KANNIRENDUM MINNAMINNA (AANDAVAN KATTALAI)

7.MALARNTHUM MALARATHA (PASAMALAR)

8.NIRODUM VAIHAI (PAAR MAGALE PAAR)

9.CHANDROTHAYAM ORU PENNANADHO (CHANDRODHAYAM)

10.ANTHA NAAL NYABAGAM (UYARNTHA MANITHAN)

LIST CONTNUES....

SANKARANARAYANAN
vaidymsv

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: My Drums Man MSV! Reply with quote

Dear Ms. Saradha,

YOur pik on Raja is a rare gem again. As you had observed, MSV would have used a combination of all western instruments like drums, guitars, and brass section. His ability to fuse all these instruments into a Tamizh song with absolute ease has stunned me many a times. This Kalyana Ponnu Kadai Pakkam Pona- the start of first BGM with drums and Sax is a master piece. Great going for msvtimes.com i suppose
vaidy
viswapriyan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi msvians, no body can deny that msv created different genre of film songs exclusively for lullaby, unmatched even till today!!!

Let us explore the lullabies of and share what we know.

Some of the lullabies right from the top of my head:

1. "cinnanchiru kaN malar, sempvaLa vAi malar..." by PS from padhi bhakthi, which I rate the best

2. "aththai madi meththaiadi..." PS, karpagam. I think this was the most popular

3. "kAdhalile patru vaiththaL annaiyada annai.." PS, idu saththiyam. What a shenai in that number !

4. Of course, "kAlmidhu kAlamidhu...", PS, chiththi

5. "kaNNE pApA..." PS, kaNNE pApA

Can others continue pls?
viswapriyan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

saradha_sn you are right about the songs of RAJA. The song "gangaile odamilaiyo.." was par excellence. The charanam really "melts" you. What a melody and what a renedering by PS. Unfortunately, this song was not at all popular and now it has become extinct. What a pity!
Ram

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear MSV Fans,

There are lots of replies for the "Songs of MSV" section. I thank each one of you who have started to post their exclusive and detailed analysis on MSV. We need many more posts/comments like these, going forward;

Excellents songs being under cover is not new to Tamil Film industry and especially to MSV. We have lot of examples like film "Raja", as described by our fellow fan, Sarada in this thread.

Another example that I could think of is "Nitham.. Nitham..." from "Koottu Puzhukkal"; Many MSV Fans do not know about this song, nor MSV himself. MSV has totally forgot about this song and recently we had an opportunity to play this to MSV; He was totally immersed in this song and was enjoying each line of it. Thanks to Vaidy, who has captured this great moment of MSV enjoying his own song, on video!

The (in)ability of MSV to remember his own song, is the reason for the song becoming immortal! We can prove people and even MSV that his contribution to music is much more than he himself can even think of!

Ram
Moderator,
MSVTIMES.COM & MSVCLUB
Ramesh.P

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neeraada neram nalla neram" by Vani Jayaram

Even Vani jayaram recollected this song in her interview recently. thanks for bringing out Vaira nenjam songs. if possible we can record his interview on specific songs which we feels rare gems and upload it in MSV SPEAKS. I leave this suggestion administrator.

regards
ramesh
Ram

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Saradha,

Please post your analysis of "Pillai'O Pillai" and "Pookari" songs under separate threads/topics. Your analysis are extensive/exhaustive and it definitely requires to be posted separately.

Dear Fans, if your posting is exhaustive and detailed, you can post it under a separate topic.

Thanks,
Ram
MSVTIMES.COM & MSVCLUB
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Songs Composed by MSV-TKR and MSV All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 2 of 25

Jump to: