"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Songs of MSV (General Postings and Discussions)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 23, 24, 25  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Songs Composed by MSV-TKR and MSV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
s.r.sankaranarayanan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI,

SPECIAL MENTION AND LOADS OF THANKS TO SL FOR COINING TOOLS FOR ANALYSIS OF METER/MATTER SYMPHONIES OF THE IMMORTAL DUOS.
FIRST IT WAS " MELODY NEGOTIATION" FOLLOWED BY "METER DEMOLITION" AND NOW THE FAMOUS "SOS".THESE NEOLOGIES ARE QUITE HANDY FOR EXPRESSION AND INSIGHT INO THE CREATIVE REALMS OF THE COMPOSER EMIRATUS.
HATS OFF SL.

EXTENDING THE CONCEPT OF SOS, ONE NUMBER THAT REPEATEDLY SHOCKS ME IS " KAATRUKKENNA VELI" FROM AVARGAL.THE OPENING CHORUS EXPREESSES THE SPONTANEOUS FEEL OF LIBERATION( AS PROF.RAMAN THE OTHER DAY CONCURRED),.

AND THE SHOCK AWAITS IN THE SECOND CHARANAMS OPENING LINES.

THER KONDU VAA THENDRALE

INDRU NAAN ENNAI KANDEN

SEER KONDU VAA SONDHAME

INDRU NAAN PENMAI KONDEN

THE TUNE ,THE LYRICS ENDLESSLY KEEP BOLTING ME.

WHAT WAS SHE BEFORE THAT? A DEADWOOD!
WHICH WAS MORE LIBERATING?

PENMAI KONDATHA? ALLATHU

THANNAI KANDATHA?

KAVIGNAR HAS PLANTED A POETIC /PHILOSOPIC DILEMMA IN EPIC PROPORTIONS AND THE MASTER HAS CAPTIVATINGLY BROUGHT OUT THE FEEL. AN IMMORTAL SOS FOR ME.

CPP,
YOUR COMMENTS ON THIS IS SOLICITED.
LOADS OF BLESSINGS ALWAYS FOR YOU,

VATS,ONCE AGAIN THANKS.

S.R.SANKARANARAYANAN

[/b]
Vatsan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:03 pm    Post subject: SRS response Reply with quote

SRS....Nature's bounty... rasippatharkku vishayangaLum athanai rasippatharkku tools-um kodukkum thanmai...especially to sukhavasis like us Smile Many thanks for the acknowledgement !!! Let us enjoy ourselves....together Smile But before anything let's pull long faces.....CPP called us "boys" and dismissively so....Sad Smile Smile

While typing this I am listening Rafi-Shankar-Jaikishen's "likhE jo khath tujhE"...apppa....evocative violins and Mr. Chameleon Rafi.....

Yes SRS, 'kAtrukkenna vEli'.....gangai veLLam thAn....lucid but torrential, the song seems to start and end at the same time !!!! Incredible flow of music including chorus, organs, violins, SJ's agAram, Mridangam and what not.... !!!! How did these guys manage all this....all within an A/c Room and amidst banality ridden double bores !!!! Hai...what sense of freedom....gay abandon......like a piece of cotton joyfully caught in the wind....no resistence...no insecurity....just a joyful journey, ride....MSV did NOT HAVE a heart.....a heart had him. He lived inside his heart and occassionally stepped out of it. vArthhaigaLukku appArpatta ulagathhilEyE sancharikkum manitharukku engaLaiyum azhaithhu chella isai pAlathhai chethukkiyatharkku nanri. kavignarin 'ennangaLAlE pAlam amaithhu' memory-kku varugirathu.....

CPP.....you shouldn't dissect the ramblings of a "constantly-6-feet-above-earth" human being Smile There is a myriad of feelings I go through for every impactful song, ofcourse after I have experienced the "primary" feeling Smile While writing this I am mulling over the sarangi interlude in thoothu sella and the friendly violins that follow it......

As an aside, when I was in Chennai in Dec 2007, I attended a light music evening by YG Mahendra's troupe, felicitating LRE. This was the most impactful program I had ever been, esp for the songs 'varavENdum oru pozhuthu' and 'avaLukkenna'. Great orchestra...left me wondering how the recording sessions of yore would have been...for the great songs we are discussing...
Vatsan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: SRS Reply with quote

Aahh...SRS your take on the lyrics.....so true and amazing !!!! Simply liberating !!!! Though the tune invites all of us to write about it, especially the technicalities, I dont have the heart to do so now, the aura of the song is such.
Ram

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting points & conversations... pls continue Very Happy
baroque

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Relief indeed!

Jubiliant composition not intense.. Appadaa.. We snapped out of overpowering MSV grip!

‘kaatrukkenna veli...’ Thanks to a tinge of ragam madhyamavati speed, aesthetic sense of equilibrium & tranquillity, I run around calm today.

Now mustered the guts to end the abusive relationship & fortunate to find the love with the kindest man, celebrate the calmness, peace & harmony of 'kaatrukkenna veli.....', appadiye thalai sanjundu, kaal pottundu on the nice, caring MSV with sense of security, konji him with 'humei tum se pyaar kitanaa, ye hum naheen jaanate magar jee naheen sakate, tumhaare beenaa .. ' Happy happy joy joy!
kaalam unnai vaazhthum podhu, aasai kku enna kattuppadu indeed!
Go girl! Enjoy the buzz.. be a teenager again, start over! you are worth it!

Love the joyous chorus & sensual, exuberant humming by Janaki.
Lyrics portrays the mood perfectly.

kaatrukkenna vaeli kadalukkenna moodi
gangai vellam sangukkullae adangi vidaadhu
mangai nenjam pongumboadhu vilangugal aedhu

naan vaanilae maegamaaip paaduvaen paadal onru
naan bhoomiyil thoagaipoal aaduvaen aadal onru
kanrukkutti thullumboadhu kaalil enna kattuppaadu
kaalam ennai vaazhththumboadhu aasaikkenna thattuppaadu

(kaatrukkenna)

thaer konduvaa thenralae inru naan ennaik kandaen
seer konduvaa sondhamae inrudhaan penmai kondaen
pillai petrum pillai aanaen paesip paesi killai aanaenkoavil vittu koavil poavaen kutram enna aetruk kolvaen

Please talk about Anu & her good mother-in-law. Impressive kamal. Pour your resentment of Ramanathan. CLASSY movie with memorable, poignant scenes, Fantastic songs! Ippadiyor thaalattu... my favorite healing flute lullaby in pahadi with touching lyrics.

Speaking of ‘thoodhu sella... & Sensual Janaki’s humming... the prelude of thoodhu sella always leads me to charming P.B.Sreenivas in paadadha paattellam..... Veera thirumagan.
Likhe jo khat tujhe woh teri yaad mein hazaaron rang ke nazaare ban gaye... lovely musical.

good day boys! Smile
vinatha.

Last edited by baroque on Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:29 am; edited 5 times in total
baroque

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HURRAY!

My favorite dhool 's rare pattu boy hits 50 at MSVTIMES - his home ground! Slow but Precious!
Vinatha.
Vatsan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: CPP Reply with quote

Exactly....prelude of 'thoothu...'.....the 'mood setting' double mandolin strokes right ? And yes to the pathway to 'pAdAtha pAttellAm'......the prelude again and who can forget

achhamA nANamA innum vENdumA
anjinAl nenjilE Asai thOndrumA
michhamA meethamA intha nAdagam ?

very few have the gumption to introduce a tabla roll in the charanam for such a song and get away with it, without casting a scar on the overall mood !!! Am for whatever reasons reminded of 'ulagam engum orE mozhi', the tabla 'tap' happens only at the beginning of the pallavi and disappears !!!!

TMS is all about overt display of feelings whereas PBS likes to underplay, the loving insistence at "intha nAdagam" is example enough. To me, nobody but PBS can inject so much of expressions into a song as he did in 'thuLLI thirintha peNNondru' and still remain within the realms of subtlety. MSV waited for PBS for 3 days for this song and when PBS put through the sangathi at 'vElil vadithha vizhiyondru vetkam....', MSV it seems jumped in delight with "Wah Wahs" as Venus Krishnamurthy despondently mulled over the fact of the sangathi costing him Rs. 75,000, having waited for 3 days with the studio booked Smile
Vatsan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: CPP Reply with quote

Hey CPP, 'mangai nenjam pongum pOthu'......enna boys-kellAm pongara nenjam illayA ? Smile
Vatsan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: Favs Reply with quote

My favorite in the last few months.... MSV-LRE combo from annayum pithAvum.......

muthhAna oorvolamO athhAnin kalyANamo
ammammaa......rajAkkaL ellOrum seer koNdu varuvArgaLO......

Am sure MSV set to tune, the pre-written lyrics of Kannadasan.

The composer is a master at expressing several nuances/ shades of mystery / intrigue...whatever....the opening vigorous guitar strumming and breath taking brass shreiks only emphasize that. Yes, finally the orchestral combo satisfied with its work gives way to jagged violin pieces placed over the combo organ dishing out the descending chords (somewhat like in 'vizhiyE kathai ezhuthu') but more evocative. It all says 'over to Easu' and she seems to start with a sneer , a throw and little bit of sarcasm thrown in....and ofcourse with the combo organ magic happening behind the vocals. ammammaa.....is where the song takes off....

The charanams are actually melodic and sarcastic whisperings and there is this "ammamma" take off as well.

Am not able to provide the link for this song now. Will look for it. I remember playing this out to Ram over the phone. The structure of the song has been inspired by SD Burman's 'raat akEli hai' from 'Jewel Thief' where 'jO bhi chAhE kahiyE' is the crescendo point for the otherwise soft melody.......inspiringly crafted out by SD Burman. MSV ethayum uLvAngi...he imbibes the spirit of anything that inspires him, Persian music, Jazz, Thumri and when he becomes the outlet they become MSV-Persian, MSV-Jazz, MSV-Thumri......

Hope you all manage to get your hands on this song and enjoy yourselves. I have ....already....slurp....slurp!!! pachhai thAn unakku pidichha coloru....Smile

The other song I know in this movie is 'malarum mangayum oru jAthi'
baroque

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.musicindiaonline.com/music/tamil/s/movie_name.4248/

Muthaana oorgalomo... LRE
Everybody knows & loves this song, SL! Sizzling Hot indeed!
We all love the hot energy & spicy mood, LRE evokes! Smile

Last edited by baroque on Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:54 am; edited 5 times in total
baroque

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course you boys get to PONGI too legitimately!
I am a humanist & for equality! Smile

But I choose to pongi in kushi & send away my end of the day fatigue with lilting kannil therigindra vaanam..... , enchanting mandhaara malarey...
I pamper myself with dreamy kaadhoduthaan naan pesuven... too to enhance the romantic mood & doubles the enjoyment! I am in excellent mood! Very Happy
That's LRE dazzles just for me! Smile
SL,
beautiful TANUJA in Jewel Thief, Izzat etc..
Tanuja, Jayalitha, Babita all these girls are thuru thuru nnu sexy!
I follow up on your first post after I settle my boys to bed!

Vinatha.
baroque

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I concur with you on Ulagamengum orey... pallavi.

I have only perception on songs, yenakku song kahani yellam theriyaadhey!
Appadiyaa..

P.B.Sreenivos is singer with velvet voice.
All over MSVTIMES / tfmpage yezhudhiyaachey avarai pathi from paal vannam....,poga poga...., kaathirundha kangaley... to Ethereal poetic beauty kannirendum minna minna....

I finish this day with seductive jazzy composition by boozy P.B.S humming , exotic L.R.E , celestial postlude & orchestration in kalaikoil... Mullil Roja I have in my P.B.Sreenivos duets collection, but I am not sharing with you until you quit singing 'pachai' pattu! Smile
Rare composition is a rt candidate for Ram’s piano series!
baroque

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foot tapping piano, guitar rhythm for a ball room dance melody!

Sentimental, romantic waltz Vannakkili sonna mozhi....

Thanks to psusheela.org for lyrics & MIO for audio!

http://www.psusheela.org/tam/show_lyrics.php?id=504

http://www.musicindiaonline.com/p/x/s4QgDd3kV9.As1NMvHdW/

Thus started our enduring love affair with this gorgeous man...
Loving you is who I am..
thank you God for all the smiles & happiness!
love, Vinatha.

Deiva Thai - Generous Musical Feast with Mega oru pennai paarthu...., fun indha punnagai.... etc..
Ram

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VannakkiLi - What a melody.

Baroque - not sure you read my article on "VannakkiLi". If not, here you go:

http://msvtimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=264

Cheers Very Happy
baroque

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My comment is in your thread, Ram!

I just found the video, stop by to enjoy the visual with your article..
here you have thoughtfully reminded me your essay! Smile

http://www.igcinema.com/music/12007

Hope I snap out from vannakkili.... magic soon!

I am screwed today!

ada pongappa.. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Songs Composed by MSV-TKR and MSV All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 18 of 25

Jump to: