"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"NAVARASAS"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Articles & Writings by Fans!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ram

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:27 am    Post subject: "NAVARASAS" Reply with quote

NAVARASAS
By Ram

The following write-up is an analysis on Tamil Film Music and “Nava Rasas”. “Nava Rasa” is a term in Indian Classical Dance. (“Nava” = Nine & “Rasa” = Expression) i.e., the article tries to relate each of the Rasas with songs/music from Tamil Films, focused to MSV’s compositions.

Some thought struck me about “comedy” music. “Comedy” extended to other expressions as well. I then wanted to write on all the expressions and relate some music/song of TFM.

Note 1: This article, originally, was written after analysis of different composer’s songs. Here, I’ve focused only on M.S.V.

Note 2: I’m not a dancer at all and I do not have any knowledge on dance; Its just a sudden thought and my passion for Tamil Film music that I made a quick analysis/study on this topic)

Here we go:

(Read the examples as Song-Film-Description)

1) Sringara – Love:

1. “Paalirukkum” – from Paava Mannippu – Lovers’ song
2. “Nalla perai Vaanga Vendum” – Love on Children. This song gives simple advices to children.
3. “Ulagam Pirandhadhu Enakkaga” – from Paasam - Love on Nature

2) Hasya - Comedy

Of all the Rasas, comedy should be the most difficult, as it goes with the saying “It is easy to make people cry; But it is very difficult to make people laugh”.

MSV has a wide range of comedy music from his part.

1. “Thillu Mullu” – song from “Thillu Mullu”. The film itself is a all-time comedy favorite from K.Balachander.

2. “Muthu Kulikka Vaareegala”, “Kaasikku Pogum Sanyasi” – famous folkish comedy numbers. Nagesh’s Acting on these songs is commendable and hilarious adding to the music.

3. “Kaase Thaan Kadavulada” – Another full-time comedy film with so much scope for music. It starred “Thengai” Sreenivasan and Srikanth

4. “Kaadhalikka Neramillai” - first ever full time comedy movie in Tamil film industry. Another film from the Director Sridhar-MSV combination.

3) Karuna – Pity (Pathos)

This Rasa is for expressing “Pity” on some one.

MSV:

1. “Ullathil Nalla Ullam” – Karnan – In this scene Lord Krishna, pities Karnan, a generous person, dying in Mahabharatha. This is based on the raga “Chakravaagam”.

2. “Thangathiley Oru Kurai” – Baagapirivinai - A wife singing for a handicap husband. This more a consoling song, though there is a lot of pity in it.

4) Rudra – Furious

This “Rasa” is exclusive for dance (I guess) as the furious dance of Lord Shiva is referred to as “Rudra Thaandavam” (Fierce dance) There are quite some songs in Tamil.

1. Climax music in the film – Mirudanga Chakravarthy – Here the musician-hero (Shivaji) plays Mridangam steadily for a long time to beat the challenge with his son (Prabhu)

2. “Pattathu Rani” – Sivandha Mann – Here the heroine dances with fierce and a vengeance plan to kill the “villain”. This a great Egyptian piece from MSV with an excellent orchestration (He has used a 100 piece orchestra for this majestic song)

5) Veeryam – Heroic

This Rasa expresses “Heroism”.

Lots and Lots of MGR songs would fall under this category.

1. “Adho Antha Paravai pola” – Ayirathil Oruvan - Quite famous MGR song, who leads his crew members on a ship and advices them how to live life with freedom.

2. “Naan Aanai Ittal” – Enga Veettu Pillai – Again a famous MGR song where he will blast the “Zamindars” or “Land-lords” with his belt and warns them that he is the “savoir” for poor people from sorrow.

3. “Buddhan Yesu Gandhi Piranthathu” – MGR leading poor and sorrow group of people.

6) Bhayanakam – Fearful

This type of theme will normally be in thriller/horror movies.

1. “Nenjam Marappadhillai” - A thriller movie from one of the successful combinations in the Tamil film industry - ace Director Sridhar and MSV. The famous song “Nenjam Marappadhillai” is from this film. The re-recordings will really fill you in fear.

2. “Pudhiya Paravai”- Title music and re-recordings. A suspense thriller from Shivaji and a musical mega hit from MSV.

7) Bhibatsam – Disgust

This is a theme which expresses “disgust”. The following are some examples:

1. “Satti Suttathada” – Aalaya Mani – Sivaji singing in a great disgust in the film. Famous sober number

2. “Ponaal Pogattum poda” – Paalum Pazhamum – Sivaji singing in an extreme disgust after the loss of his wife.

3. “Pallakku Vaanga Ponen” – MGR singing in a great sober.

8. Adbutham – Wonder

For this category lyrics also play an important part as it describes on what “entity” the song wonder at. Some of the numbers under this category can be:

1. “Pudhiya Vaanam” – Anbe Vaa – In this song, MGR Admires the beauties of Kashmir

2. “Alla Alla” – A sensational hit of those times sung by MSV himself! This song wonders at the powers of Allah.

9) Shantam – Peace

Songs that hope for world peace (or) which will make your mind peaceful, can be under this category. Note that the devotional music by each of the musicians can also be under this category.

1. “Ayiram Karangal Neetti” – Karnan – A soulful number by MSV. This one is a divine song, sung by many singers like TMS, PBSrinivas and Seerghazhi Govindarajan. This is a song on Sun God.

2. “Kettathum Koduppavaney Krishna” – Dheiva Magan – A beautiful devotional number on Lord Krishna.

3. Famous devotional album “Krishna Gaanam” – MSV fan’s all-time favorite devotional.

I just gave a couple of songs under each category as examples. Now I request MSV Club to add more.

Hope everyone enjoyed this analysis and found this Interesting and a bit Informative, as well!

Last edited by Ram on Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
msvramki

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[size=18]அன்புள்ள ராம்

பிரமாதம் !

நவரசங்களை மெல்லிசை மன்னர் எவ்வளவு அழகாக தம் பாடல்களில் குழைத்து அளித்துள்ளார் என்பதை மிக அழகாக
எழுதியுள்ளாய் !

தொடரட்டும் உன் பணி !!

ராம்கி[/size]

msvramki

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

தொடரட்டும் உன் பணி !
உணரட்டும் உலகம் இனி (யாவது !) !!

அப்பா ராம்கி

baroque

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic Ram! What an exquisite songs list!!

Unardhom Sir, Unardhom!! Innum unara aasaiyaa yerukkom!

I like to add.. Lullaby, pathos solo by susheela in ‘kannaana...’ Thanneer thanneer is my favorite song. Raga Basant Mukhari cannot get sensational than this!
How about ‘malardhum malaradha...’ pasamalar for Pathos & Happy!
Good day, Ram! Vinatha.

irenehastings

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: "NAVARASAS" Reply with quote

Ram wrote:
7) Bhibatsam – Disgust

This is a theme which expresses “disgust”. The following are some examples:

1. “Satti Suttathada” – Aalaya Mani – Sivaji singing in a great disgust in the film. Famous sober number

2. “Ponaal Pogattum poda” – Paalum Pazhamum – Sivaji singing in an extreme disgust after the loss of his wife.

3. “Pallakku Vaanga Ponen” – MGR singing in a great sober.

some more 'virakthi' songs...

4. "Ellorum nalam vaazha naan paaduven" - enga mama.

5. "Avanukkenna thoongivittaan" - Periya idathu penn.

6. "Yaarai nambi naan porandhen pongada ponga" - Enga oor raja

7. "Nilavai paarththu vaanam sonnathu" - Savaale samaali.
vaidymsv

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: NAVARASAS!!! Reply with quote

Dear Ram,

MSV-in Navarasam anaithayum pizhinthu thantha un "Rasanaiyai" paaraatta varthaigaley illaiyappa.

CHEERS
MSV IS MUSIC
VAIDY

S.SAMPAT

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Ram,

Excellent list. As Ramki Sir told, Iniyaavadhu Indha Ulagam Unarattum. With this forum going great melodies (guns!!) , I am sure we will make it happen.

On Sunday when SRS and I had the discussion, he pointed out the brilliance of MSV on the song Muthukullika vaarikalaa. He was explaning to me the sangathis with valaji, Harikambhoji and Charukesi flavour, shifting one after the another with effortless ease in a COMEDY Song!! That too with Gramiya Narumanam!!!!! Naa thazhu thazhu kiradhu. Thondai Adaikirathi Anandha Unarchi Perukkal Ram.

We can see the trace of Neelambari ( Very apt when everyone is sleeping ) in another comedy song "Andhapakkam Vazhdhavan Romeo, one of my all time favourites. Only MSV can do it.

With love
Sampat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Articles & Writings by Fans! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: