"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

sangathis in masters music
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Songs Composed by MSV-TKR and MSV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
srandy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good example of usage of sangathi's by the great duo is probably - which incidentally was shot based on the pair..

"sippi irukkuthu muththum irukkuthu"... - varumaiyin niram sivappu...

: )

Cheers
Andy
jeyaramg1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear All,

Happy to start participating in forums. This is Jeyaram , one of the Support Crew members in MSVTimes.com.

My friend SR Sankaranarayanan (alias Bala for friends like us) has chosen the topic very close to his heart, Sangathis in the Masters Music. The responses and discussions I find on this equally or even more interesting.

Catching on what is already said in this thread, let's reflect on a few songs of the master in 70's era.

1. Yamuna Nadhi Inge... from Gouravam is interwoven with lot of Sangadhis both in Pallavi and Charanam (esp SPB's part of charanam). Is it really Nagaswarali??

2. Ammani Azhgu migum Kanmanai...from Avan Oru Charithram...(Bala , how many times we have drooled over this song). Extract of Dharmavathi is completely presented by the master is pallavi itself. Esp the Vani Jayaram version of Pallavi is a Kutcheri material....Sample the 3rd line 'Aaaaaaaadi varum pennmaaaaaaaniiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii.....................

3. Gowri Manohariyi Kanden... Mazhali Pattalam

4. Sugamana Sindanayil... Taxi driver

5. Amudha Thamizil....MM Sundara Pandian
6. Thendralil Aadum Koondalai.... MM Sundara Pandian

Look at the complete diversity of the above pallavis, ranging from 2 worded short phrases to long winding sentences like Pallavi , in sequence.

Each of these sings attract a detailed analysis from a Classical music / Raga sense. But, it's my humble view that Masters creation are beyond any amount of analysis and comprehension ; these have been created for limitless and timeless joy!!

Thoughts pl.

-Jeyaram G
Ram

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Dear Jeyaram !!!!

Late'a Vandhaalum Latest'a Vandhutteenga!!! Anyways we all are very happy about your entry.

All our Club Members await your valuable participation and postings in the Forum!
s.r.sankaranarayanan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEAR SAMPAT,

I would like to propose a methodolgy with my limited knowledge but bountiful interest and enthusiasm for technical analysis of masters creations as i am craving to know what would have gone behind the genius"s mind during the creative act. in retrospect,could there be any pattrn,formula ,any central concept upon which the variations are built for differnt situations etc.this could be bit of acadamic exercise.(i once came across one such stuff on ilayarajas selected compositions by a musical buff
at lakshman sruthi shop).

o.k.
1)take a raaga based composition.

2)intially ignore the prelude , interludes,and rhythms.just look at the tune part .
3) notate the tune part finding the adaara sruthi.
4) focus seperately on sangathis.underline them.
5)fix the notations on bar(time scale)
6)look for notes that are intentionally truncated which have sub sub bar time scale( it is my intuitive feeling that the genius secret lies here)
7)musically analyse the sangathis one by one,looking for the relationship with the startin note & landing note etc(as you are adept in it)
8)look for any repetitive patterns
9) choose one more song in the similar raaga.
10)repeat the exercise
11) compare
could we be getting to some conclusions.
sampath,will you attempt this.
i will also try to attempt this with my limited knowledge.
once we reach to some insights,we can furthermore build on them with different set of approaches( the nasty ones like even analysing the frequencies etc.

expecting your....

s.r.sankaranarayanan
sivaramakrishnang

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Sangathigal - MellisaiMannarin paadalkalil Reply with quote

Ayya nalla vishayatha azhahaa sollikkitu vantheenga.Dhideernu niruthitteengalae! Athu ethanaale?
Naanga paattukkalai rasichukkittu irukkom!
Eduthuchollatheriyalla!
uriyumbadiyaa neenga eduthu sollikkittu irunga.
Nandri.
A.SURI

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a new entrant for MSVTIMES.COM. I am amazed to see a lot of MSV fans here. Great job.

Sangathi endral MSV. MSV endral sangathi . I read somewhere that once the great MLV made a comment like this: “MSV kadavu therakirrathukkuku kooda sangathi poduvar!”

What an observation! It is a true statement. Vaali once said “oru maligai listukku kooda music podakudevar MSV annan.”

Hope u would have heard this wonderful song ‘ kettathellam naan tharuven’ from Thikku thereyada kaatil. What a song! Full of sangathis,brighas. Especially, when SPB sings ‘pani ethal thedi,palakathai pesi vaalhvathum(vaaaaalhvathum!) unnale’ , we go some where to heaven.

In the next charanam, ‘manavarai kolam thaniarai padal malarnthathum(malarrrrnthathum!) ennalhee’, MSV really takes us to heaven.

What a composition. Please listen in the first interlude where, veena,violin and of course flute completely take u out of the world. SPB and Suseela are at their best. If u listen, it is only 4 lines song including 2 charanams. But our master stretches it to 4 minutes song.

BTW, is it based in Hameer kalyani?

“UNNEDAM ADAGU VAIKAPATTA KADHUGAL ENNUM MEETKAPADAMALE ERUKKERANA” –Vaali

A.SURI
P. Sankar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Mr.A.Sury,

Good beginning. Do provide us more such informations.

P. Sankar.
M S Sekhar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: song "kaadal rajyam unadu" Reply with quote

Read the nuances in the sangathis in the pallavi .Not but not the least the sangathi of janaki at the end of the song "naalaya...,going thro th full arohanam and avarohanam of the tune ,is typically MSV patent.
madhuraman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject: Sangathis in MSV songs Reply with quote

Dear Friends,
Quite a number of postings appear in this thread. Obviously, MSV is a genre of Sangathis par excellence to say the least.At best, most of his compositions vary only in the scale of richness. He would brilliantly complement a song with sangathis or embellishments. It will be a long drawn affair to pinpoint numbers devoid of any sangathis. There are other exponents who make a din and call it music. As for, MSV's calibre in this domain, his own utterance in recordings is more than explanatory. Often singers have acknowledged of their having rendered only a part of what MSV prescibed. To touch this point MSV used to tell the singer[s] "Sangathiya Ippidi paadinaa En gadhi Ennavadhu?"I feel it ably summarises the gap between the anticipated and the actual. Any way it is very good for analysts to make everyone realize the immense concept through every line in a song. A great exponent of nuances he is.
Warm regards Prof.K.Raman Navi Mumbai.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Songs Composed by MSV-TKR and MSV All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: