"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tamil Film Composers -G.Ramanathan and MSV

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Tamil Film History, TFM Composers, Directors, Actors, Movies & Music (General Topics)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madhuraman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:13 am    Post subject: Tamil Film Composers -G.Ramanathan and MSV Reply with quote

Dear friends,
Only a few minutes back I went through the postings on GR and I would like to add a few points that may help our youngsters perceive how things were and are now. In those days movies had to stay within the precincts of decency and cater to definte taste without bringing cultural infringements in story, song or dance. Most makers had to confine themselves to Puraanas, History or Freedom struggle. So all lyricists and composers had to be thorough with al Raagas and their adaptability to a human emotion. So Paapanasam Sivan was the best bet, as he would himself write the lyric for specific ragam and raagam. The MD has to embellish by varying the amplitude and Orchestration.Obviously G.Ramanathan satisfied these requirements. Yet he has the distinction of pathbreaking skills as the first TF MD. [Yaradee nee mohinee]. Also, he patended the culture of according the highest value to lyric keeping the orchestration as a mere support and embellishment. MSV has also sustained the same values for lyric and orchestration. This has been an identical trait with both. Later of course MSV brought in wider and deeper innovation. But, a little survey would show that MSV was under the shadows of great giants including GR. He was originally an assistant to SMSubbiah naidu at Pakshi raaja studios -Coimbatore. The proprietors decided to disband the Coimbatore unit and move over to Madras. Now what happened is a true reflection of quality human beings. SMS and a few people met Mr,Sri Ramulu and said" Sir You may close down the unit and send us away, but please somehow provide a footing for this young boy Viswanathan, He has abundant talent and we owe our glories to him. " [Will anyone seek a placement for a junior on the face of their own retrenchment and reveal who did things? It signifies the then values for talent.] But, how MSV later reunited with his friends at Madras is history now. The second instance relates to a conversation between GR and MSV-TKR. MSV and TKR decided to become independent DUO Composers; they sought the blessings of all senior MDs then [ Look at the culture in an industry known for its high profile display] When they met GR and said Sir we intend working as a Duo -Ramamoorthy-Viwanathan, GR said "Visoo have your name first and then Ramamoorthy's. MSV was disturbed and defended Sir, TKR is elder to me . GR said 'that is why I say have it as V-R and not R-V. The elder man will support you from behind. [Periyava unnai thaangi pidippar , Dhairiyama Sei]' and blessed them. I read the asesment of GR and his genuine interest in their growth instead of wrongly discouraging them. It is a clear instance of a knowldgeable person acknowledging merit elsewhere true to 'Katraarai Katraaray Kaamuruvar'-Valluvar.
Being in a high pedestal never spoilt the humane values of GR / MSV the 2 legends spaced apart only by time.
Warm regards Prof.K.Raman Navi Mumbai.
tsmuthu2000

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:24 pm    Post subject: Some more info on SMS and MSV Reply with quote

I have read in one book that all last rites of SMS were performed by MSV as per SMS wish. After the death of SMS, his wife was taken care by MSV family..

"Endrum Men makkal men makkale"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Tamil Film History, TFM Composers, Directors, Actors, Movies & Music (General Topics) All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: