"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Little Known Musicians of Greatness

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Tamil Film History, TFM Composers, Directors, Actors, Movies & Music (General Topics)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
juja14

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: Little Known Musicians of Greatness Reply with quote

[b]Shyam: an unsung musician of excellence[/b]
Most of us one time or other have listened to the songs composed by Shyam with so much thrill. Alas, his songs were or even are thought to be composed by others. The hits of his composition is stamped with melody of unbelievable strength. Let me quote a few.

1.Mazhai tharumo pon megam(SPB,Sasirekah)(Film:Manitharil Itthanai Nirangala)
2. Aanadha ragham(Deepan Chakravarthy,S.Janaki)(Film:Vaa Intha Pakkam)
3. Kaathal Kanavugale(SPB,S.Janaki) (Film:A Suhasini starrer,forgot the title)

While glorifying the contribution of greats like our MSV, let us also make note of Musicdirectors like Shyam who go unnoticed inspite of their best contribution. I hope others would respond to this by writing about the little known Music directors of our tamil cinema. With Love.
madhuraman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject: Little Known Musicians of Greatness - Shyam Reply with quote

Dear Mr JUJO,
I do not know if you operate under a pseudonym and I presume you are a male member as I am clueless on your name. We welcome you to this site with open mind to appreciate any quality work.Your admiration of composer Shyam is laudable. It is never our endeavour to play down any one. After 5 DECADES of intimate living with MSV's music, we deem it our pleasnt duty to recall the works of this giant. I am honestly unable to stand your phraseology" while gorifying ". My mind tells me that recalling glory is just not glorifying and of all persons under the common title of TF MDs, MSV is glory by himself and does not need any one's endorsement more so from lesser mortals -we the rasikaas. All the same I wish to assure everyone that our expressions of MSV are based on our own perceptions gathered over the years. So friend please stay with us and bring in your appreciation of any laudable work. In fact you woild have seen several different threads on GR, IR, SMS and AR R. Please contribute to our understanding of Shyam as people like me are honestly not seized of such message as brought by you. Please make the best genuine use and enlighten us. Thank you
P. Sankar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Juja,

It was a very nice piece of information. "Aanantha Raagam" is a good and sweet duet. Infact as you have said I was presuming this song to be a song by Illayaraja's music. Good that you told.

P. Sankar - Tirunelveli.
juja14

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject: Sorry . Reply with quote

Thank you for the intrerest shown by my fellow rasigas. I am really sorry to tell you that the word 'goryfying' was not an intended
one. In fact, it should be read as glorifying. As my fingering was not good that error appeared inadvertantly. Once again sorry Prof. Raman. I myself am a diehard fan of Great MSV. At the same time as you have pointed out I relish all types of music that is melodious and soul-uplifting. By the way I would like to know the raga behind our MSV's masterpiece "Nee Varuvai Ena Naan Irunthen" sung by Kalyani Menon and the film name is "Sujatha". I even now stand listen with rapt attention whenever I have a chance to listen to that song. But unfortunately no radio station play that song. Actually Radio Ceylon used to play the song umpteen number of times when I was studying in school that was way back in 1984. What an extraordinary song it is. The heart piercing sadness that underlies that song was greatly due to the music than otherwise. Can anyone illuminate me on the raga it is based upon. Similarly if anyone has that song. please send me by email. My email id is juja14@sify.com. Let me wish all our community(MSV fans) a nice weekend. God Bless You All.
madhuraman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Little Known Musicians of Greatness - Shyam Reply with quote

[quote="madhuraman"]Dear Mr JUJO,
I do not know if you operate under a pseudonym and I presume you are a male member as I am clueless on your name. We welcome you to this site with open mind to appreciate any quality work.Your admiration of composer Shyam is laudable. It is never our endeavour to play down any one. After 5 DECADES of intimate living with MSV's music, we deem it our pleasnt duty to recall the works of this giant. I am honestly unable to stand your phraseology" while glorifying ". My mind tells me that recalling glory is just not glorifying and of all persons under the common title of TF MDs, MSV is glory by himself and does not need any one's endorsement more so from lesser mortals -we the rasikaas. All the same I wish to assure everyone that our expressions of MSV are based on our own perceptions gathered over the years. So friend please stay with us and bring in your appreciation of any laudable work. In fact you woild have seen several different threads on GR, IR, SMS and AR R. Please contribute to our understanding of Shyam as people like me are honestly not seized of such message as brought by you. Please make the best genuine use and enlighten us. Thank you[/quote]
madhuraman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: Tamil Film Composers Reply with quote

Dear JIJA
Thank you for elegantly bringing out my inadvertant typing error while trying to clarify my position of reverence to MSV. What ever you deem fit for reference, kindly bring them for us to learn. Thank you
Prof.K.Raman Navi Mumbai
tvvraghavan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: CHk our website Reply with quote

Dear Juja
The sond "Nee Varuvai Ena Naan.." is available in our website

http://www.msvtimes.com/music/songs/n.html

Henceforth you can listen to the same as and when you want to...

Happy Listening !!!

MSV Rules !!!
Venkat
s.r.sankaranarayanan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEAR JUJA,

ONE MORE MOVIE SHYAM HAS COMPOSED MUSIC IS "PANCHAKALYANI'WHICH HAS A BEATIFUL NUMBER "BHOOMADEVI POLE VAAZHUM JEEVAN NEETHANE" BY SPB. THE NOTABLE FEATURE OF THIS SONG IS IT IS ONE OF HANDFUL OR SO SONGS IN TFM IN MISHRAM(THA KI TA TAKA THI MI).

SHYAM INCIDENTALLY HAS DONE ORHESTRATION FOR THE LEGENDARY LALGUDI G.JAYARAMANS FAMOUS TILLANA COMPOSITIONS IN THE ALBUM'THE SOUND OF DANCE. YES,INDEED HE IS ONE OF THE UNSUNG MD"S WHO HAS NOT BEEN BESTOWED WITH OPPURTUNITIES IN TFM WHO WAS LEFT TO WITHER AWAY INTO OBLIVIAN.

THANKS FOR THE THREAD.

S.R.SANKARANARAYANAN
tsmuthu2000

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:00 pm    Post subject: Shyam Reply with quote

Shyam comes from a western background and he was a regular in MSV's troupe. His original name is Samuel philips and was called as "Sam" alias "Shyam" by none other than our genius MSV. His first movie was Karunthel kanniyiram which had a good song " Netru varai vinnil irunthalo"

My favoriute song is "Ponne boomiyadi" from Manitharil ithanai niragngala. The song had both Suseela and vani jayram singing together which is very rare in tamil cinema

Another favouirte song of Shyam is "Vaanam Pannerai thoovum kaalam karkalame"

One small correction to one of the earlier post. The song in Vaa intha pakkam is "Aandha dhaagam" and not "Aanadha Raagam"..

Thanks,
Muthuswamy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Tamil Film History, TFM Composers, Directors, Actors, Movies & Music (General Topics) All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: